RC Champion

How durable are the stock titans?

As the title suggests, I'm wondering how durable the stock titans are. A little background first... I already own an ERBE and have been using it for both off-road and on-road and track use. Getting tired of constantly changing my gearing and suspension setup so I decided to buy an E-Revo for most of my off-road bashing. It will see conditions such as climbing hills, pretty steep ones, it'll drive through rough dirt with lots of brush around as well. I'll also be driving it through grass and on the off chance it rains here in southern California, might go through some mud, but that would be seldom. It'll be geared low of course to accommodate the conditions.

So how well should the titans hold up under those conditions? For that matter, how well does the ESC hold up? Also, when the motors do finally give up, what's a good replacement? I've been reading about the Titan 775 as well as the Dewalt motors as good single motor replacements, but which is better? I'm leaning slightly towards the dewalt simply because i read it has replaceable brushes which are also cheap.

Thoughts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    From what I have read, the Titans don't last long at all, and some people have even burned one of them or even both of them out within the first day.

Also from what I have read, the DeWalt seems like the hot motor to swap to, and geared right, it is faster with more torque than the Titans together.

As for the ESC, I have read nothing but good things about it, and I have never even heard of one failing.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Racer
    When the Titans fail (notice I said "when", not "if") the Dewalt is the way to go.
    Cheaper and more powerfull. Plus it's alot more durable than the 700HO or the 775.

As for the EVX2 ESC, it's pretty good.
    Some people even run it on 5s (18,5V) while it's rated 16,8V max.

I'm personally researching the idea of using 5s to power a 14,4V Dewalt. It seems this will be the best waterproof setup out there
    (Everybody else is running 4s on a 12V Dewalt.)

RC Qualifier
    I did a water break in on my titans and have yet to kill them. I am not easy on them and as a matter of fact I beat them like a rented mule on a daily basis. I probally have close to 250 hrs on them. One thing I believe that does cause premature wear on them is full throttle followed by hard brakes as this causes heavy arcing and can be seen at night. Arcing wears out the comm and eats brushes fast. since the brushes are non replaceable once they are gone so is the motor.

Back in the day when I used to race with mod motors I would replace my brushes about every 5 races because they would be worn down to the point that they would crack and arc. the motor would still run but the arcing would eat the soft copper on the comm and basically trash the motor.

If you treat them right they will last a while.
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Qualifier
    A day before I bought Eva I was in my LHS and a guy brougth in his BR-Revo to get the motors replaced for the second time in as many days. He was a tool though. The guy who works there talked him into going brushless and buying LiPos on the spot. He was getting the credit that the Titans cost towards his purchase and the LHS would just sell them as new when they came from Traxxas.

However, I heard nothing but horror stories about the Titan12 when I got my Slash. I broke it in according to the manual and ran it in nothing by snow/wet conditions on 6 and seven cells. I couldn't ask for i to treat me any better.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info, where is a good place to get a dewalt motor?

RC Qualifier
    I think people order them from Sears, maybe the service department?

RC Champion
    How much do they run at sears? Robot MarketPlace has them for just under $30

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...396505-20.html