RC Qualifier

Do you suggest....?

Putting a pair of around 4000 Mah, 2s Lipos per side, wired in a 2s/2p per side acting as an 8000 Mah? Then putting each pair on its own EVX2 plug.

I am capable of making the plugs and wiring it correctly. I could even balance all four batts in one way or another. I'm just unsure if its really safe to have all of that going on.

What's your thoughts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's fine, as long as it fits in the battery compartments.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Racer
    Sure that'll work.

You can't charge two lipo's in parallel though, keep that in mind.

You can't charge two lipo's in parallel though,
    Why is that? A 8000mah pack is just 2 2s 4000 mah packs paralleled.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Racer
    It will result in one pack slightly overcharging or undercharging.
    You will also only be able to balance one pack at a time.

Maybe if you permanently connect the two balance connectors and the voltage terminals in parallel, you will be able use it (charge and discharge) them like a normal 8000 pack. But I don't believe it'll be very healthy connecting those cells in parallel the first time.
    Any minor difference in voltage will result in a big current surge because there is no resistance.

It might work though... If you'd balance all cells separatly first, and make sure they're all on the same voltage.

RC Qualifier
    I have already made a plug to charge two 2s packs as a 4s. I also made a plug to balance them as well as 4s as well.

Does any out there run a pair of packs on each side?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Why is that? A 8000mah pack is just 2 2s 4000 mah packs paralleled.
    That's only through the main leads...the balance connector separates the cells into one large series connection, charging the pack as a 4S series pack.

That's why when you charge two different packs at the same time, you have to make a series adapter for them, so the packs are wired together in series instead of parallel. If you tried to charge them in parallel, each pack would only get 50% of the input charge...in series, each pack gets 100% of the input charge.

That's only through the main leads...the balance connector separates the cells into one large series connection, charging the pack as a 4S series pack.
    Nope thats not true. I have several different packs that use 4 cells as a 2s battery, they all balance as a 2s.
    But I don't believe it'll be very healthy connecting those cells in parallel the first time.
    I do it all the time. I have two 4s lipos that I run parallel. Normally I just charge them seperately. But if I'm in a hurry I just charge them parallel and they always end up perfect. I do always run them as a matched pair. If you do it like this the packs should stay balanced to each other. Now if you have batteries that come way out of balance each time it might not be a good idea.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I charge two packs at once, because I run two 4S packs in parallel, but my charger and balancer see them as a single 8S pack...that's how you get a perfectly charged and balanced pack. Charging in parallel works, and causes no damage, but some chargers and/or balancers can not charge in parallel. What charger do you have (asheck)?

I have the 0610i Hyperion. Like I said normally I just balance charge my packs, but my charger has no problem charging as a 7800mah 4s, instead of 2 3900 4s. Now with my SMC packs I have no worries about being in a hurry for packs. BTW interesting enough my new SMC batteries state that they do not have to be balanced. It says you will get better performance and cycles, but it is not a must.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's cool.