RC Racer

First time painting list

I am thinking about painting a body sometime this summer. I was just wondering all of the supplys that i would need at the lowest cost

I was thinking of starting out with just one solid color and work from there.
    Can you guys give me links for the items like on rc planet or tower.

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you are just going to use a solid color, all you need is a can of your chosen color, that's all. The body comes with window masks, so you just apply them, paint the body, let it dry, remove the window masks, peel the overspray film off the outside of the body, then trim and mount it.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    What hole cutter and body trimmer do you suggest?

And what about going two- or three- tone? Blue painters masking tape work on these bodies?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any masking tape works, really, but a lot use blue or green painters tape...just make sure to buy name-brand, the cheap stuff doesn't leave sharp edges.

I use curved body scissors to trim my bodies, and a drill to make the post holes.

I personally use automotive 1/8" pin-striping to make all of my detailed curves and stuff, because it is so easy to make turns with, and has a perfectly straight edge...and after I lay it down, I use regular 3M ˝" masking tape to fill in behind the pin-striping.

For multiple colors, you just have to remember to mask the whole body first, then remove the first section of masking to paint and paint it, then remove the second section of masking and paint it, and finally remove the third section of masking and paint it...always starting with the darkest color, working your way to the lightest. It does not matter that you are painting over sections you have already painted, because you are painting the inside of the body, and you won't see anything but the color you are painting over from the outside.
    Last edited by Revoš; 05-03-2009 at 02:47 AM.

RC Champion
    I have a pair of Duratrax lexan curved shears. They get the job done, but my hands are always sore from the work afterwards. They're all I've ever used so I have no idea if there is a better set of scissors available.

I don't see the point in buying a reamer just to make holes in the body. I use a drill. First with a tiny bit and then with a larger one to ensure the bit doesn't walk across the body. Place the trimmed, unpainted body on the truck and line it up perfectly. Mark on the outside with a sharpie where the body posts are and then drill your holes. This is much easier than making holes afterwards - and more accurate.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Qualifier
    Painting bodies is fun. Get a cheap one to start out with and learn on.

I would definitely try a 2- or 3-color paint job before settling on one solid color. They look better and it really is simple.

I would go to the LHS if possible, so you can see the colors in person (the cap usually is a good indicator of the actual paint color) and so you can ask questions. I have found most all LHS's have folks on hand that are more than willing to help with anything you need.

Get some name brand (I use 3M) masking tape, as well as a couple of widths of pinstripe tape (I use Tamiya) for doing stripes.

Both of my paint jobs have been similar, 2-tone layouts with a stripe dividing the main colors. My 2nd one, I got a little brave and got a XXX Main flame mask, making a 4th color, but the layout is the same.

Results:

Another option a lot of people go with is the Traxxas "Pro Graphics" body. It has the stock E Revo Graphics pre-printed over a clear lexan body, you just add the backing color of your choice.

These are pre-cut, trimmed and drilled and turn out looking NICE!

White:

I also did one with Tamiya "Light Blue", but apparently I didn't take any pics of it. It looks pretty good as well, IMO.

I bought some non-Pro Graphics-compatible paint by accident. It "ate" the Graphics, so I painted the outside of this body. It's different, and quite sinister:

That's "Outlaw" Black (Semi-Gloss) and I personally think it looks mean, but I know the first time I roll it over, it's gonna have major road rash...

Anyway, these are some options to get you started.

Remember, always check, recheck and re-recheck your tape to make sure it's adhered firmly to the body. Any little bit that's not will allow paint to "bleed" under it.

HAVE FUN!
    60% Warn! WooooooT!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Taco, get yourself some shellac (like you use after staining wood) and paint the outside of the body with it...it hardens without getting dull or cloudy and will protect that paint since you had to paint the inside of the body.

Also, you can use Dot3 brake fluid to remove the paint/silk-screening on the inside of that body, and then repaint it from the inside...and it won't hurt the lexan!

RC Racer
    Dude, I had no idea about either of those.

Thanks Chad!
    OMG LOL!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You're welcome.