Thread: Volcanic ash

RC Competitor

Volcanic ash

I don't know how many people this would apply to, but I learned an important lesson today. I was driving my E Revo at a BMX track which is built in the area where the volcanic ash from Mount St. Helens was deposited after being dredged out of the river. The ash feels kind of sandy, but is extremely fine and sticks to everything. It caused a bearing to seize, which led to breaking an axle. If you ever have the chance to drive your vehicle on a recently active volcano, I would recommend against it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, that's crazy!

I was 6 when Mount St. Helens erupted, and I remember being outside with my Grandmother (who's name was Helen) when the ash was falling down on us, and we live in Alabama! I remember being so amazed about it, but I am even more amazed now that I am older and truly understand the actual distance between here and there!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by msmst25
    I don't know how many people this would apply to, but I learned an important lesson today. I was driving my E Revo at a BMX track which is built in the area where the volcanic ash from Mount St. Helens was deposited after being dredged out of the river. The ash feels kind of sandy, but is extremely fine and sticks to everything. It caused a bearing to seize, which led to breaking an axle. If you ever have the chance to drive your vehicle on a recently active volcano, I would recommend against it.

guess in my neck of the woods I wont have this problem....only because I live in new york
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

That actually makes allot of sense. Volcanic ash is really made up mostly of dirty glass, and that doesn't lube bearings that well.

How did the tires do for traction?

RC Competitor
    The tires on the E-Revo were great. It was tough to get much traction with the Slash, however. With a 7 cell battery, I had to accelerate pretty slowly up to full speed to avoid spinning out.