RC poster

another lipo question

I thought I read somewhere that the batteries should only be half charged or so to be stored for any length of time . I have been searching the forums and cant seem to find a definitive answer .
    Reason I am asking is I always fully charge mine after running them down so they are ready to go the next time . The weather turned cold this week and the revo has been parked about 10 days now and the batteries were fully charged .
    Should I do something to run them down a bit if I'm not going to use it for a while ? Or are they ok being stored fully charged ?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    What kind of batteries do you have lipos do have a storage voltage if your not going to use them for more than a couple of days, which is 3.85 volts per cell.
    Erbe, Merv Vxl, Rusty Vxl.

RC Champion
    You shouldn't put batts fully charged at storage for days..neither discharged it is not good for the battery and his components. Most chargers have storage charge feature so they can be put at storage voltage 3.8v per cell. Also lipo charger have discharge feature too so you can bring down the voltage if not just run the truck.
    Last edited by NFS; 11-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.

RC poster
    Hmmm . Well I just checked, and my onyx 245 charger doesn't have a storage mode .
    Running the truck and having to keep checking voltage until its exactly 3.8 sounds like a pain.
    Guess I better find a better charger .

Thanks guys.

Please watch the language.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-13-2014 at 10:21 PM.

I also fully charge my lipos after running my trucks and then they sit until next time. Never had a problem.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

^yet.. it will shorten the life of the batts.. (cycles)
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

O.G.: "I also fully charge my lipos after running my trucks and then they sit until next time. Never had a problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas Battery Basics
    LiPo batteries should be stored at 50% capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Car Action
    STORE WITH 50-70% CHARGE
    LiPo packs should be stored with a partial charge. Check the battery’s instructions and determine the recommended voltage or capacity level for storage. Most manufacturers suggest storing LiPos between 50% and 70% charge capacity and voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC Racing
    SPC considers storage to be any time longer than 2 days. When stored this LiPo battery pack should be charged to approximately 50% to 60% of the stated label capacity, then placed in a LiPo sack or similar fire resistant device and stored in a cool dry area. Try to use or cycle the LiPo battery pack at least once every 5 to 6 weeks during long term storage periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Power RC
    Storage & Transportation
    If storing longer than one week; batteries must be stored at 3.8V/cell to 3.9V/cell (approximately 50% charged).
    Quote Originally Posted by rchelicopterfun
    RC LiPo Battery Storage...You must store them charged, but not fully charged either – that will also degrade/oxidize the cell matrix. Basically, the speed at which a LiPo pack ages (during storage) is based on both storage temperature and state of charge. You are likely okay to store a fully charged RC LiPo battery at room temperature for up to 4 days without doing too much damage. ...
    For optimum battery life, store your RC LiPo batteries (in a cool room if possible - slows down chemical reaction) at about a 40-60% charged state. That equates to around 3.85 volts per cell (open terminal resting voltage). The actual storage range is likely a little broader than this (I have heard some say numbers as high as 20-80% is fine, but since computerized chargers set the storage charge at 50% (3.85 volts per cell) that's what I recommend and what I follow myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by E-flite
    Store the battery at room temperature and approximately 1/2 charge for best results. A Li-Po cell is approximately 50% charged when it is at 3.8V
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTek RC
    • Li-Poly batteries are best stored at 50% charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamAssociated
    Higher cell voltage during storage will increase the self-discharge rate of the battery, which may lead to over-discharge and deteriorate battery performance. It is recommended that the battery remain at a lower voltage (about 3.8V/cell) throughout the period of storage. If the battery is to be stored for longer than one year, the user should charge the battery at least once per year to 3.8V/cell to prevent over-discharge.
    Your recounting of your supposed practices and it's alleged non-effect on your batteries amounts to poor advice. Please stop.

@Sgc: exactly 3.80 (or 3.85) volts is not critical, just a goal.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-13-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Thanks again guys . So I guess I'm in the market for a new charger . What would you guys suggest for an easy to use charger that does it all...especially storage mode . I am not that concerned with charging time .. Just want ease of use and reliability . Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slime green cat View Post
    Thanks again guys . So I guess I'm in the market for a new charger . What would you guys suggest for an easy to use charger that does it all...especially storage mode . I am not that concerned with charging time .. Just want ease of use and reliability . Thanks
    http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html
    I'm looking at this icharger with a 350 power source for my next charger. I have the venom pro charger 2 right now and while it's a decent charger I don't think it has a storage feature. What do you guys do for a charger without a storage feature? Just balance charge it and when the batter hits 3.8v unplug it?

RC Champion
    That's a great combo chipmonk, it has been my combo for years. It has all the features you need.

RC Qualifier
    the icharger 206b was my 3rd charger i bought and probably will ever need.i bought a power supply from a friend to use but the charger is A++++++ in my book