Thread: Little Smoke

RC poster

Little Smoke

So I was out bashing my E-Revo I am running a 775 with 2 4600 7 cells. As the other thread says the 775 rocks. (went with because dewalts are hard to get here)

Well anyway ran about 20 mins and shut her down. took the body off turned the ESC off and checked the motor for heat warm to the touch just about the time I am checking ESC the thing bursted into smoke.

Well being Traxxas so far is great. sending it in and getting a new one. What sucks only had it for about 14 days. but oh well they have a good warranty

RC Qualifier
    That doesn't sound like a good time.

RC Champion
    Hmm, haven't run into that, did you take it easy for atleast half of the first pack before hammering on it?

RC Racer
    some in this forum say that using the button to turn off an ESC is a bad idea.

I don't know why an ESC would be designed in a way that turning off by button (rather than umplugging the batteries) leads to the destruction of the electronics but it seems to be that way.
    E-Revo,700HO/Novak5.5,5Ah LiPos
    Baja 5B SS
    MERV

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by qorron
    some in this forum say that using the button to turn off an ESC is a bad idea.

I don't know why an ESC would be designed in a way that turning off by button (rather than umplugging the batteries) leads to the destruction of the electronics but it seems to be that way.
    i have heard that also , my summit uses that esc , what is everyone doing ? why ?
    HOOKED ON R/C

RC Racer
    The red tag an the EVX2 says ,very clearly,"Disconnect the battery to turn off the electronic speed control."

RC Qualifier
    Seams odd that they even say it's an off switch, then tell you to unplug it. But I suppose they have their reasons. I have always unplugged the batts anyway, you got to.

And when I just gave the title of this thread a second look, I just couldn't help but think - Hey, it's better than BIG smoke!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1truckerdan
    The red tag an the EVX2 says ,very clearly,"Disconnect the battery to turn off the electronic speed control."

Well mine didnt have that. I havnt allways used it just caught me at a weak moment. I usually unplug. But there was no tag in mine when I got it.

I am also hoping that it didnt take anything else with it. As you may guess I cant check it till the new one shows up.
    Last edited by Glassman2008; 04-30-2009 at 10:44 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by koolwhipman
    Seams odd that they even say it's an off switch, then tell you to unplug it. But I suppose they have their reasons. I have always unplugged the batts anyway, you got to.

And when I just gave the title of this thread a second look, I just couldn't help but think - Hey, it's better than BIG smoke!
    Dont know yet Could of been cant check the rest till new one shows up.LOL