RC Qualifier

something not compatable?

Well hi, I just sold my brushless Slash and got an e-Revo. I had a Losi DSM 2.4 giga radio system in my Slash and planned to put it in the Revo. I also put a Novak 4s smart stop in to run lipos.

I had a y-adapter from a mini lst2 that used dual steering servos, so obviously I planned to use it in this application. I could not get it to all work together. Sometimes the motors wouldn't run, sometimes the servos, sometimes neither, and once it ALL WORKED FINE. I almost always had it plugged in the right way. I sometimes tries one steering servo, and sometimes it worked.

When it all worked(but wasn't in the box) I unplugged a couple things to put it all in the box and then it didn't work. Is there something about this radio that won't work with this truck? It worked flawlessly in my Slash.

RC Racer
    Try this.......port 1 to turn(channel 1= steering)
    port 2 to burn(channel 2= esc/throttle/brakes)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1truckerdan
    Try this.......port 1 to turn(channel 1= steering)
    port 2 to burn(channel 2= esc/throttle/brakes)
    Well, they are labeled steering and throttle and they worked as labeled in my Slash. And I wish it would have steered when I hit the trigger and went when I turned the wheel, that would have made life easier.

Your answer was greatly appreciated, and I wish it was it. But I really think I'm having an issue thats not all that simple. Is there a way to make the two servos work on one plug? The y-harness from a mini-lst2 shoudl do the job, ya?

RC Racer
    should work.....

RC Qualifier
    Wonderful. Guess I'll ask my LHS guys today.

RC Competitor
    I bought a y-harness (it wasn't from Losi) so that I could use a spektrum SR3300T receiver and the combo worked fine. Beware though: not all y-harnesses use the tabbed connectors (like traxas and futaba products). In my case the y-harness was made for tables hitec-style servo conectors, and the traxxas servo connectors wouldn't fit into the y-harness ends, so I had to cut a slot in the plastic guards to fit over the tab. It was no big deal, but it was annoying. Now I wish I'd got one from a mini-lst2 as I bet it's a lot shorter than the 24" long y-harness I ended up with.
    Last edited by tetracanth; 04-28-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    RoboPede: http://snowtiresrobot.blogspot.com/

RC Qualifier
    Well, the one i have was about 6 inches, then I hacked it apart and made it about 1 inch. But it is all clean, soldered, correct, shrink wrapped work. i really think this has something to do with the Novak Smart Stop not being compatible with the Losi radio system. I know the 2s Smart Stop won't work with the Blue XL5 from the Slash, so I'm guess this is similar. The guy at my LHS said the same thing. I will check out their website, and do a little trouble shooting this afternoon...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just a hint...

When working with servo wire/plugs, there is no need to cut wires, solder them together, and shrink-wrap them. All you have to do is pull out the pins, shorten the wire to the desired length, re-crimp the pins, and insert the pins back into the plug...bingo, a professional looking servo harness with no solder or shrink-wrap.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Just a hint...

When working with servo wire/plugs, there is no need to cut wires, solder them together, and shrink-wrap them. All you have to do is pull out the pins, shorten the wire to the desired length, re-crimp the pins, and insert the pins back into the plug...bingo, a professional looking servo harness with no solder or shrink-wrap.
    have you tryed this? the crimps are so small its not worth messing with them. you can have it soldered it 5 min you will fiddle with the crimps for hours

RC Qualifier
    Well, the pull out and shorten does sound better looking and I will try it next time.

But for now, I am done with this project. I tried the dsm radio without the Smart Stop and it worked. I did notive the throttle was reversed. I then put in the SS and hooked it up backward to be correct with the reversed throttle switch on the radio. No worky. So I figured it out right there. I flipped the reversing switch on my radio and pulled the plug and reinserted it correctly. BINGO. Worked like a champ. Apparently the Novak Smart Stop is not made to work with the red/white/black plug in backwards.

So now I rest easy tonight without imaginary xtal sets dancing in my head, chanting about how they OWN me...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, brushlessman, I do it on almost all of my servos...I hate excess wire!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo