Thread: charger help

RC Racer

charger help

i just got my hyperion eoso6o6i ac/dc charger in the mail and from what i here its the best $130 you can spend for a charger but i have a question. I hooked up my 7.2v 1100ma nihm battary and set it at 1.1a and hit charge. well i looked at it and it was at 8.3 volts and was still charging. why didn't it cut off? or is that normal? i took it off the charger and hooked it up and it ran fine.

ps- the battary was at 6.3v when i started the charge. I was just wanting to try out the charger.

RC Champion
    its fine all batteries hold more volts that they say
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris York
    its fine all batteries hold more volts that they say

yea but shouldn't it of stopped and went into a trickle mod?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by josh7owens
    yea but shouldn't it of stopped and went into a trickle mod?
    Hi that's normal they can go close to 10V when charging... set your MVsetting to 3MV and if you can turn trickle off as it's not good for NIMH battery chemistry.

Good luck.
    Thanks
    Z....

Nimh (and older NiCd) batteries 'peak' charge. What happens is the charger puts in the amperage that you set (1.1 amps in your case) and keeps raising the voltage to keep the amperage going into the battery. When the battery is fully charged, the power going in stops charging the battery and starts heating it up. That is a function of the battery chemestry. When this happens, the higher temperature causes the resistance of the battery to go up, and the voltage to go down. The charger looks for this drop in voltage to let it know it is time to stop charging.

RC Racer
    oo ok, well thanks guys! you helped me out. so a fully charged 7.2 volt battary is about how many volts?

The voltage of 1.2v per cell is 'nominal' voltage. When charging, 1.6 volts per cell or more is normal.

One other thing - some of the newer Nimh batteries will sometimes 'false peak'. The voltage will start to drop off, and the charger will stop charging, even though the pack isn't fully charged. If the pack isn't getting warm at the end of a charge, it isn't fully charged. WARM, not hot. Hot means it was overcharged.

RC Racer
    ok, thanks