RC Competitor

First attempt at painting....

Rained here all weekend. Since we didn't run the trucks, I decided to try my hand at painting. First time I think I ever painted anything. It didn't go too terribly bad. I learned a lot for next time, that's for sure.

One lesson learned-buy a dremmel tool, had a horrible time cutting out wheel wells with those curved lexan scissors and a hobby knife. Another lesson learned, colors on the paint cap are not always true. Rally green should be called neon lime green! LOL I still like it.

Only real problem came with the Pactra Indy Silver. It sprayed out in a consistency of fiberglass no matter how much I shook the can. That of course caused some blotchy looking areas, especially since I used it as a backer for a candy color, those blotchy spots really showed then. Live and learn though. All in all, I really liked it, and can't wait to try another.

I'll try to put up a few pics, materials used:
    ProtoForm HardDrive body
    Pactra Paints-Indy Silver, Rally Green, Candy Purple

If something gets in your way-don't forget-TURN!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks cool man!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For a first time job (or any job), that looks awesome!!!

Here's a hint, especially with Indy Silver...turn on the hot water from your kitchen sink until it is as hot as it is going to get, shake up the can of paint really well, fill a put full of the hot water, and then put in the can of paint...let the paint warm up until the water is safe to touch without it burning your fingers. Now shake up the can again and paint as usual!

Metallics, especially silver, tend to do that and need to have their pigments fully dissolved before use, and the hot water method works well.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    Wow, you did a good job for a first attempt. Been lookin to paint a body up myself. I wish they made the hardrive body for the nitro sport too.
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

RC Qualifier
    Old Kawi colors! Nice

MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the compliments everyone. I am pretty critical, and of course found every little flaw. My boyfriend put it into perspective for me quite well--"10 feet away at 20mph it will loook fine"--guess he's right!

Revo1 thanks for the tip! Now I don't have to give up using that color. It looks nice when it lays down right. Just wasn't going to use it again after the hard time I had with it. These boards are a wealth of knowledge.

MXrider, they are indeed Kawi colors, although being from the midwest, my inspiration was more along the lines of Arctic Cat

RC Qualifier
    nice ,wish i could do that
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can...do some research, practice, take your time, and you can do it just as nice.

RC Qualifier
    looks good!

RC Racer
    Couple of questions on this ... as I'm very tempted to buy one of those Proline body's but I really don't want to go into the painting business. I feel that it's an art form/skill that I really don't want to get into.

But on the other hand, I'm tired of the same old Traxxas bodies and would like something new ... so here are my questions:

1. How long (in total time) did it take you to complete the body
    2. When you say you wish you had a dremmel, what would you have to use it for
    3. Does the masking tape really work that well ... so other colors don't bleed onto one another
    4. How do you incorporate other colors when you paint your main color ... do you have to mask what you just painted just to paint a small section. I've dealt with spray paints before and it not like you can control where the paint goes ... as it's a spray and it sprays where you don't necessarily want it to go

Thanks for your answers

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1: probably took her a couple hours total.
    2: TO sand the wheel-wells and edges smooth, without having to do it by hand.
    3: Yes it does, but I use pin-striping AND masking tape.
    4: Correct, you mask off whatever you don't want to be painted the current color you are spraying, and you spray from darkest to lightest. You mask in such a way that the whole body gets masked off, then you remove the area to be painted and paint it...then remove the next section for the next color and paint it, and so on and so forth.

RC Enthusiast
    Simple and totally sweet.

chrysler_guy
    looks good

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rod1gram
    Couple of questions on this ... as I'm very tempted to buy one of those Proline body's but I really don't want to go into the painting business. I feel that it's an art form/skill that I really don't want to get into.

But on the other hand, I'm tired of the same old Traxxas bodies and would like something new ... so here are my questions:

1. How long (in total time) did it take you to complete the body

I wasn't real sure of my layout, so prolly 4 or 5 hours total....but could have easily been closer to 3 if I had a clue what I wanted it to look like before I started.

2. When you say you wish you had a dremmel, what would you have to use it for

For making the wheel wells smooth, it is hard to cut them out with scissors or a hobby knife.

3. Does the masking tape really work that well ... so other colors don't bleed onto one another

Yes, the tape works good, but you have to buy decent tape. I used a few different sizes, low tact tape. As long as your sure to smooth it down, it works well.

4. How do you incorporate other colors when you paint your main color ... do you have to mask what you just painted just to paint a small section. I've dealt with spray paints before and it not like you can control where the paint goes ... as it's a spray and it sprays where you don't necessarily want it to go

You don't have to cover what is already painted because your painting the inside of the body. So like I layed down the purple first, so I had the parts that are green and silver taped off, and sprayed purple. Once the purple is down if you spray another color, it just goes on the back of the purple, on the inside of the car, it won't show through. So when I sprayed green, yes most all of the inside of the car was green, but it only showed through were there wasn't mask or paint already.
    Thanks for your answers
    I'll see if we got any pics of it while in process, might help you see it better.

RC Competitor
    ok rod1gram....maybe this will help

This is the body masked off and sprayed purple. The yellow tape is what will be green later, and you can see where the silver pinstripes are too. I just used like 1/8" tape to mask them off, then covered the large green areas withe the yellow tape.

Now here it is with the green parts unmasked. So now when I spray green, only the clear area will show through. After the green dries, pull the pinstrip tape up and then spray silver in those clear areas.Hope that helps a little.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks like a good clean job. Only a couple of small bleeds, but you can't see those that well! Thing to remember is that the more shells the paint, the better you get. If this one didn't turn out quite how you liked it, then buy another and try again.

That's a disadvantage of Proline shells, they last too long

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Haha, yep...but a great disadvantage to have!

I am actually getting ready to paint (airbrush) my own PROTOform HardDrive body (Revo 3.3 version), and it will be my first airbrushed body! After that, I have a couple more shells to airbrush...an Exotek Kuda (stadium truck) for my Exotek TEK18X converted RC18T, a VW Baja Bug for my other RC18T, a clear stock body for one of my Losi Mini-Ts, and a Pro-Line Crowd Pleazer 2.0 (Revo 3.3 version). And I am still thinking about getting the new Pro-Line Slipstream body for another Revo project (E-Revo chassis/transmission) I am thinking about building.

On a side note: For those of you who want a nice custom-painted body, but don't want to do all of the tedious masking and stuff, and don't want to pay the $100+ to have one custom-painted for you, there is another option...you can use one of the many XXXMain or UpGrade RC internal graphics kits! In most cases, you just apply the graphics to the inside of the body (and window masks), and then back it (the entire body) with a single color of your choice! What you end up with is a very nice, highly-detailed body that looks like it was custom-painted by a professional with lots of different colors and details...except it was done by you, with a single color, from a small rattle can of sprat paint (you need special lexan/polycarbonate paint)!

RC Racer
    Thanks BackyardBasher for posting the pics ... and yes that helps, but after you painted the purple, did you have to mask all of the purple in order not to get silver and/or green paint on it??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can paint over any color already painted, as you are painting the INSIDE of the body, so you don't see any color that's on top of another color. Just don't paint over light colors or transparent colors with a darker color or it will make the once light color dull and dark. Like I said earlier, start with the darkest color and work your way to the lightest.

RC Competitor
    Yep, Revo1 is correct. No need to mask the purple once it is on. Like in my above pic, where the purple is on, and the soon to be green stripe is clear, all I did was flip it over and spray the green just as it is in that pic. I have green, silver, and black behind that purple. It won't show through as long as its lighter in color.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    You can paint over any color already painted, as you are painting the INSIDE of the body, so you don't see any color that's on top of another color. Just don't paint over light colors or transparent colors with a darker color or it will make the once light color dull and dark. Like I said earlier, start with the darkest color and work your way to the lightest.
    Ok ... I think I'm starting to get it, but let me run it back to make sure:
    1. You paint darkest to lightest in color
    2. You then paint the OUTSIDE with your main/darker color that's going to cover MOST of the vehicle
    3. Then you turn the shell INSIDE and paint what would probably be your lighter detailed colors which maybe stripes, lines, etc.

So if the above is right, what happens when you have 3 or more light colors to be added to the INSIDE?? Do you just mask each section with a different color of masking tape and peel off each as you finish each color??

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm really thinking about doing this.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Noooooooooooooo...you DO NOT paint the outside of the body.

Think of a piece of glass...if you paint the whole window black on one side, then look at it from the other side, you will see all black. If you go back to the side you painted black and then paint the whole thing red, and then look at it from the other side, you won't see any red at all because you already painted it black, and any color behind the first color can not be seen. You can add 22,933 different colors to the painted side of the glass, but when you look at the unpainted side you are still going to see nothing but black...get it?

Ok, think of another clear piece of glass...take a piece of 1" masking tape and tape a diagonal line from one corner to the other, then paint that whole side black, right over the masking tape. Now remove that masking tape and you are left with a clear stripe, where no black paint went because it was covered by the tape. If you look at the other side (unpainted side) of the glass, you will see that the entire piece of glass is black, except for that 1" wide clear stripe going from one corner to the other. Now go back to the painted side of the glass and paint the whole thing red, then walk around to the other side (unpainted side) and you will see the whole piece of glass that is black with a 1" wide red stripe going from one corner to the other. Now go back to the painted side of the glass and paint the whole thing blue, then walk around to the unpainted side and what do you see? A piece of glass that is all black with a red stripe...you can not see the blue because it is behind the two colors that you put on the glass when it was clear...get it?

When you paint a body, always on the inside, you simply leave the places where you are going to use a different color clear, until you are ready to paint that color. You mask your body to cover every single area you do not want to be the first color you use...once you shoot that color, you remove the mask on the section that you want to be your second color and then shoot your second color, then you remove the mask on the section that you want to be your third color and then shoot your third color, and so on and so forth...and always start with the darkest color and work your way to the lightest color.

It's not like painting a real car...where you paint the whole car the base color, and then paint the stripe on top of it. Since you are painting the inside of the body, and seeing the paint inside out, you have to do everything backwards...you paint the stripe first, and then paint the base color...from the inside you can't see your stripe, because you covered it with your base color, but turn the body over and look from the outside, and you see the stripe, because you painted it first and the stripe color is in front of the base color.
    Last edited by Revoš; 04-29-2009 at 04:43 AM.

RC Racer
    Ok ... I get it now. I've never done this before ... so I want to have as much info as possible.

What a ballpark cost of a total (basic) paint job??

RC Competitor
    Ball park cost....Hmmm...depends on alot really. A body can run on average $30-$40. Tape, anywhere from $2-$8 a roll depending on type and size. Paint is about $6 a can.

So a one color job with no masking will be way cheaper than 3 different colors and lots of masking.What your design is will affect the price the most.

Mine cost about $60 total.

RC Racer
    Looks very nice. I like the clean, sharp lines and contrasting colors.

First timer or not, you did a great job!
    OMG LOL!!!