RC Racer

motor on fire!!!

ok here is my deal i have a stock summit. the only thing i have done is added an lvc and im running 2s 8000mah spc lipos. i ran my summit in my yard bashing it pretty hard in second gear and the motor smoked and burnt up it was about 60 degrees outside and i ran it maybe 5 mins. i sent my motor in to traxxas and they gave me a new one. installed it and even up the gearing to 19t pinion. so today i was driving it through a creek pretty hard for about maybe 2 mins and when it came out the other side of the creek it started on fire right away. diffs were locked and was in second gear. so it was in water which was cooling of the motor this time and it wasnt even full throttle for 2 mins. What is going on here?? should i just get the dual kershaw conversion? thinking that the 1 775 motor cant handle the lipos or what??? i love driving my summit but i cant. HELP!!

RC Qualifier
    Not a lipo guy but dang.. That's a crazy story. burn any of the other components?
    Corrijo
    When the muds flyin, don't call me.

RC Champion
    What kind of water were you running threw, was it a puddle in a parking lot or something like that, in a run off area like a pond, or in fresh water like a stream?

RC Racer
    i dont think i burned anything else up this time. not sure because motor doesnt work now and havent tried it without it. i didnt the first time. and it was through a stream pretty close to completely submerged. but ive ran it through water submerged before with no problems and the first motor i burned up wasnt even around water. not sure if i have other problems or what kinda thinking my lipos are to much for one motor. id post pics but not sure how....

RC Racer
    Strange, my buddy has a summit with 4s lvc and maxamps 8000 lipo's, not one problem so to speak. Put quite a few packs throu it already to. Stock motor 775 to, same as you. Strange indeed.

RC Racer
    I have 2 SPC 8000mah lipo's and have been running them with out issue since day 1. Maybe there is an issue with your esc.
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Racer
    thats another thing i thought of but i really didnt want to go there. so i thought id ask for more opinions. i think im going to try the dual kershaws and try to watch my temps really close if nothing changes im in real trouble. any advise would be helpful thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider0587
    thats another thing i thought of but i really didnt want to go there. so i thought id ask for more opinions. i think im going to try the dual kershaws and try to watch my temps really close if nothing changes im in real trouble. any advise would be helpful thanks.

call traxxas tomorrow. they are the best company to raise concerns with. they may just send you an esc and a motor....
    Corrijo
    When the muds flyin, don't call me.

RC Competitor
    gearing up makes heat issues worse. It says in the manual not to gear over 14t with the stock spur.

RC Qualifier
    ok here is my deal i have a stock summit. the only thing i have done is added an lvc and im running 2s 8000mah spc lipos. i ran my summit in my yard bashing it pretty hard in second gear and the motor smoked and burnt up it was about 60 degrees outside and i ran it maybe 5 mins. i sent my motor in to traxxas and they gave me a new one. installed it and even up the gearing to 19t pinion. so today i was driving it through a creek pretty hard for about maybe 2 mins and when it came out the other side of the creek it started on fire right away. diffs were locked and was in second gear. so it was in water which was cooling of the motor this time and it wasnt even full throttle for 2 mins. What is going on here?? should i just get the dual kershaw conversion? thinking that the 1 775 motor cant handle the lipos or what??? i love driving my summit but i cant. HELP!!
    Ok, here is where I am thinking your problem is.

1. What does "bashing it pretty hard" mean? If it means allot of full throttle starts from a stand still, in a high resistance area(like deep water, tall grass, or a pile of leaves) then this will cause everything to overheat. Even if it was only for 5 minutes.

2. What pinion where you running the first time? Anything HIGHER then stock will INCREASE heat. In fact, in the manual it says in bold print "With the Titan 775 motor, do not use a pinion gear larger then 14-tooth with the stock 68-tooth spur gear." This might have been why you over heated the first time.

3. I think you over heated the second time because of the high pinion gear, and the deep water combined. Once again I think if you had read the manual, you would have seen what it said about gearing, and water running....

Both of these are simple quotes taken RIGHT OUT OF THE MANUAL!!!!!

"With the Titan 775 motor, do not use a pinion gear larger then 14-tooth with the stock 68-tooth spur gear."

Motor Precautions
    "Titan motor life can be greatly reduced in mud and water. If the motor gets excessively wet or submerged, use very light throttle (run the motor slowly) until the excess water can run out. Applying full throttle to a motor full of water can cause rapid motor failure. Your driving habits will determine motor life with wet motor. Do not
    submerge the motor under water."

4. Why the heck were you running second gear in deep water?!? That is yet another thing they warn about not once, but TWICE, IN THE MANUAL!!!!!

"Use Low gear when running in mud, deep puddles, snow or similar situations that will restrict the tires and put much higher loads on the motor. Although the Summitís 775 motor has ample torque in second gear, using first gear in situations that require low speed will extend
    motor life. Limit second-gear use to high-speed running on dry ground."

"Although Summitís 775 motor has ample torque for climbing and crawling in second gear, using first gear in situations that require low speed will extend motor life. Limit second-gear use to high-speed running."

5. AHHHHHHHH, WHY WOULD YOU GO FULL THROTTLE IN SECOND WITH THE MOTOR UNDER WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE MANUAL PLEASE!!!!

"Applying full throttle to a motor full of water can cause rapid motor failure. Your driving habits will determine motor life with wet motor."

6. "What is going on here??" I can tell you what the heck is going wrong here, but the mods like to keep this board G rated, so I won't go into that one.

This is just plain ignorance, and Traxxas shouldn't have to replace motor after motor for the likes of you!!!!!
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC poster
    I agree, sounds like you need to read the manual

RC Racer
    ok the first time i burned up the motor it was for 5 mins of bashing on and off full throttle in very short grass and cement on flat ground, in the yard and driveway. i was using stock everything with the lvc and spc batteries including stock pinion. the second time i burned it up it was maybe 1 minute in the water not completely full throttle. and i was told if your motor is running hot gear up if your esc is running hot gear down so i just figured id try it. im not saying that anything i did was necessarily good but ive ran this truck before these incidents and had no problems whatsoever including running it twice as hard twice as long, completely submerged underwater, etc...ive seen vids of people running them harder then i did. i can see it burning up twice if it was 90 degrees outside and i was going full boar nonstop for a long time but i didnt have any of these conditions. this isnt operator error im just asking for some opinions because i want my truck fixed and fixed right. i didnt ask to get CRITIZED!!!! THANKS
    Last edited by dirtrider0587; 04-27-2009 at 01:41 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You over-geared the truck by 5 teeth on the pinion gear. Not just 1 tooth, but 5 teeth!!! That is abuse plain and simple and is operator error.

RC Racer
    so explain the first burn up thats what im getting at. if this post is going to argue then im done and will try to figure it out myself.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I just thought it was pretty funny, you asking what was wrong. I mean you had a freaking 19-tooth pinion in there, and the manual was warning about going over 14!! If that isn't "operator error" I don't know what is...

I had a feeling the first motor might have been defective, but after reading this,

"ive ran this truck before these incidents and had no problems whatsoever including running it twice as hard twice as long, completely submerged underwater, etc..."

I think it might have already been on the verge of going. All it needed where those last few full throttles, and it give it up.

And the second time, well, I am surprised it lasted as long as it did on a 19/68 set-up.

If you want some advice, either change out the spur gear, or put the 14 tooth back in. And only run first gear while under water!!! If you don't, you can expect to gather many more dead 775's.
    Last edited by SummitCrazed!; 04-27-2009 at 02:20 PM.

RC Racer
    thanks all i wanted was an honest answer not to be critized if i messed up then so be it. i dont care i can admit it but i needed to know what was wrong so i dont go through this time after time. i love my summit and i dont want it to keep breaking if its me then ill just stop what im doing. all i was saying is ive seen alot worse then what ive done. and for it to happen twice was pretty unfortanant ill just get the dual kershaws ive had really good luck with them

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    so explain the first burn up thats what im getting at. if this post is going to argue then im done and will try to figure it out myself.
    No one is arguing, we are just pointing out a very obvious problem ..... 19 tooth pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Lol, sorry I got a little carried away. I should have just calmly told you to read the manual. Everything I was saying is in there. You should still read it, lots of good information in there.