Thread: LiPo questions

RC Enthusiast

LiPo questions

I just picked up my merv vxl and I have been running it for an hour. The NiMH just don't have the kick am looking for. I am going to buy myself some LiPo batteries, but I have a few questions.
    1. What brand do I get?
    2. Do I get 2s or 3s?
    3. Can I run more than one battery?
    4. if I get LiPos what else do I need? I have a LiPo compatible charger already.
    answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    MERV

RC poster
    1) I don't know which is best but I use traxxas ones.
    2) on my VXL I find I use 2s most of the time, its fast but not crazy fast. At 3s you would need to change the pinion to the high speed one that should have come with your MERV. I rarely use 3s, its a lot of fun but I break something half the runs I use them.
    3) you can run 2 lipo in parallel (but you must not ever try series, the MERV will fry).
    4) a fire proof charging/storage bag

A side note always make sure low voltage detection is on when using lipo, instructions are in the manual. Or you will break the lipo
    Last edited by pete zero; 06-14-2014 at 05:03 PM.

RC Competitor
    More here will say us SPC batteries... me included:

http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....tegory&path=59

Use the first 2S pack (single or parallel) or a the first 3S pack (change to the speed pinion).
    Both packs are on sale now!

RC Champion
    I will say go with the 2s spc batteries. You can get two and run them with the parallel connector for double the run time.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Champion
    Another vote for the SPC 2s 2500 mah batteries they are personally my favorite.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Competitor
    What does (C) mean when it comes to charging I only know amps

RC Champion
    C is similar to capacity. 1c would be 2.5 amps for a 2500 mah pack. Basically divide the capacity by 1000.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler vxl

RC Competitor
    thank you very much I understand that

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    C is similar to capacity. 1c would be 2.5 amps for a 2500 mah pack. Basically divide the capacity by 1000.
    As explained to me by Gary at SPC, think of the C rating as punch or burst. Also explained as the "fuel line" to the motor. The bigger the C the more "fuel" gets to motor quicker.
    Hope this helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster25 View Post
    What does (C) mean when it comes to charging I only know amps
    Oops you said charging. Again, as explained by Gary at SPC. To make it simple, a safe and common charge rate is 1C. Easiest way to figure that out is what ever the mAh are
    Charge rate of 1C:
    (1200 mAh @ 1.2amps)
    (3000 mAh @ 3.0amps)
    (6500 mAh @ 6.5amps) if your charger can go that high.

Some people will say they double the C rate or know as 2C their batteries on a high end charger w/o any issues. So technically using the examples above you can charge the 6500 mAh battery @ 13amps! (*Always use LiPo bag and never charge unattended)

RC Qualifier
    Everyone should be educated on LiPos - here's a decent article
    http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

and +1 on SPC
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC poster
    I'm looking at getting new batteries. I've never heard of this SPC. What makes them good?

RC Competitor
    ???

Everyone on this site (and others) swear by them.

I called them once and Tom took the time to talk with me regarding batteries, chargers, and power supplies.
    That alone would make me want to purchase from him, but their rep here speaks volumes (and so does their prices!).
    Mini E-Revo / E-Maxx / LaTrax Teton

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    Everyone should be educated on LiPos - here's a decent article
    http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

and +1 on SPC
    thanks photon that was a great read and I have a better understanding about how to look after lipo batteries now.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-15-2014 at 11:42 AM.

RC Competitor
    I think u can only run 1 3s at a time but u can run 2 2s at the same time so i would get 2s

RC poster
    You should be able to run 2 3s in Parallel but not in serial.

I would say the NiMH it comes with is perfect to learn the car if you are new to RC or old. I have been driving cars for years and the NiMH was great to learn how the vehicle handles.
    But after the first day I wanted more power and got 2 LiPO 2s, Running with 1 2s is night and day vs the NiMH, if you fully accelerate you will flip.

I do not think I want more power than 1 2S for now and I think a 3S would make it almost uncontrollable on asphalt.

Having 2S also allows you to latter on purchase a serial adapter to double the power. or a Parallel adapter to double the drive time.

I just Ordered new huge tires. Pro-Line Pre-Mounted Big Joe II w/Desperado Wheels and will see how it handles with 1 2S.

Another thing to think about is Weight. I noticed that with 2 batterys in vs 1 I tend to do a lot more Wheelies due to the higher weight and better traction on the tires.

So I am testing different suspension settings and weights seeing what is best for balance.

RC Racer
    I also think that 2x 2S in parallel delivers more power to the system, since both batteries are drained and ESC has more amps to feed the motor.