Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Which are the best batteries to buy for my first EREVO?

Hi guys, thanks for the help on my last thread. I am pretty much settled on getting an EREVO now

When it arrives, I want to be ready with the best batteries. I currently have some Nimh packs 3700s and 4600s. At some point I will upgrade the motors, I am assuming that they will die sooner rather than later!

Should I stick with Nimh, or should I get some Lipos straight away?

Is there a big difference in power/speed/run time with the stock motors and lipos?

If so, which are the best value for money?

Thanks

Lipos are definately the way to go. I would suggest the SPC 8000mah 2s. http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=61 You get great runtime, and will be capable of brushless on down the road. You could also go with ***** lipos from *********, but they are limited on 2s options.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC poster
    Thanks asheck. I will check them out. Not sure I can get them in the UK tho.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Lipos are definately the way to go. I would suggest the SPC 8000mah 2s. http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=61 You get great runtime, and will be capable of brushless on down the road. You could also go with ***** lipos from *********, but they are limited on 2s options.
    I was interested in this thread as well since I'm still a NiMH guy. Noticed these are only 12C, is that enough C rating for these trucks? I'm still running all mine stock, but thinking of doing the dewalt in one of them to try it out.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by paoutdoorsman
    I was interested in this thread as well since I'm still a NiMH guy. Noticed these are only 12C, is that enough C rating for these trucks? I'm still running all mine stock, but thinking of doing the dewalt in one of them to try it out.
    Same here paoutdoorsman, I've seen so many people mention here SPC but the C rating is so low compared to others. Even the *****'s are rated 20C. So how much does the C rating really matter or is the true C rating on some overrated?

The c rating needs to be taken into account with the capacity. Take ( capacity ) x ( c rating ) / 1000 = amps. So an 8000 X 12 = 96000 / 1000 = 96amp ,A 25c 4000 will do 100amp, a 20c 5000 will do 100.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Do 8000 Mah lipos fit in the battery compartments?

RC Competitor
    yes they will, but there are options that match or beat the performance of those packs for a fraction of the price, the SPC batteries listed above are a good example. another brand that is popular and gives great performance for what you pay are ***** batteries from *********.

If you ever plan on going brushless i suggest that you dont skimp on the batteries now as you will be paying for it later. If budget is permitting try to get a lipo that uses enerland cells, these are proven in terms of performance and build quality.

RC Competitor
    The c rating needs to be taken into account with the capacity. Take ( capacity ) x ( c rating ) / 1000 = amps. So an 8000 X 12 = 96000 / 1000 = 96amp ,A 25c 4000 will do 100amp, a 20c 5000 will do 100.
    Thx. That makes sense.

RC Racer
    Was wondering how much more runtime you get from going lipo? I have a stock eRevo brushed 550 Titans. I am running Venom 7cell 8.4v 5000. Currently I get about 15-20 min of more or less full on power. I know there are lots of variables but I was looking to see if it is worth the investment. Or just to purchase some more Nihms ($90 CDN each). When ever the Titans die I was thinking of going Brushless or maybe a 775. Still undecided.

RC Racer
    I'm debating what to purchase next.

1) Buy another set of 7cells ($90 CDN)
    2) Buy some Lipo's compatible with the EVX-2 ESC and a cut off switch
    3) Change my ESC (to a MMM) and buy Lipo's that won't fry my 550 Titans

How much more runtime do you get from the Lipo' compare to the Nihms?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the money you are going to spend on the NiMHs, you can get good LiPos, so I highly recommend going ahead and getting LiPos...especially since you need them to use the MMM ESC anyway. And, as always, I suggest you get a pair of the ***** ********* LiPos.

Now, as far as runtime, a good 5000mAh LiPo pack will have quite a bit more runtime than a good 5000mAh NiMH pack, for a couple different reasons...the main one being the higher C rating of the LiPos. Since the LiPos put out more amps than the NiMH, they don't have to work as hard to power your motor, so they don't use as much energy (capacity). Also, LiPos are way more efficient than NiMHs, so they use their power much better, saving energy instead of wasting energy.

Exactly how much more runtime you will get greatly depends on your gearing, sprung weight, unsprung weight, total weight, rotating mass, etc....but I would say that if you get 20 minutes on your NiMHs, you will get at least 35-40 minutes out of similar capacity LiPos.
    Last edited by Revoš; 04-30-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    For the money you are going to spend on the NiMHs, you can get good LiPos, so I highly recommend going ahead and getting LiPos...especially since you need them to use the MMM ESC anyway. And, as always, I suggest you get a pair of the ***** ********* LiPos.

Now, as far as runtime, a good 5000mAh LiPo pack will have quite a bit more runtime than a good 5000mAh NiMH pack, for a couple different reasons...the main one being the higher C rating of the LiPos. Since the LiPos put out more amps than the NiMH, they don't have to work as hard to power your motor, so they don't use as much energy (capacity). Also, LiPos are way more efficient than NiMHs, so they use their power much better, saving energy instead of wasting energy.

Exactly how much more runtime you will get greatly depends on your gearing, sprung weight, unsprung weight, total weight, rotating mass, etc....but I would say that if you get 20 minutes on your NiMHs, you will get at least 35-40 minutes out of similar capacity LiPos.
    Come on, do you have to spread it on so thick? It seems a day doesn't go by when the same-old, same-old, myths are repeated, about how LiPo's defy the laws of physics. The myths just keep getting bigger and bigger every day.
    Last edited by Jakey; 04-30-2009 at 02:30 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Come on, do you have to spread it on so thick? It seems a day doesn't go by when the same-old, same-old, myths are repeated, about how LiPo's defy the laws of physics. The myths just keep getting bigger and bigger every day.
    Well feel free to correct me, and bust any myths I have repeated.

But, let's see...

LiPos are better than NiMH? CONFIRMED!
    LiPos of the same capacity deliver longer runtimes than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Good LiPos can be had cheaper than good NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Good LiPos have a higher C rating than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Good LiPos are more efficient than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Zippies are the best bang for your buck LiPos? CONFIRMED!

Wow, looks like I stated fact, not myths...but go ahead and make snide replies without correcting anything or giving reasons or facts to support your snide comments.

RC Racer

Thanks Guys for the Info. One other quick question. Revoš you said "getting LiPos...especially since you need them to use the MMM ESC anyway" will I not be able to use my NiMH's if I switch to a MMM ESC?

RC Racer
    Oh and I have a JR Racing XS3 3 channel 75mhz controller. Would that be fine if I switched to Brushless or do you really need 2.4GHz controller

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well feel free to correct me, and bust any myths I have repeated.

But, let's see...

LiPos are better than NiMH? CONFIRMED!
    LiPos of the same capacity deliver longer runtimes than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Good LiPos can be had cheaper than good NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Good LiPos have a higher C rating than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Good LiPos are more efficient than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!
    Zippies are the best bang for your buck LiPos? CONFIRMED!

Wow, looks like I stated fact, not myths...but go ahead and make snide replies without correcting anything or giving reasons or facts to support your snide comments.
    Calm down. Where did all that other stuff come from? You must have a very short fuse. I will address these issues here:

"LiPos are better than NiMH?"
    Define better than I'll respond to this one.

"LiPos of the same capacity deliver longer runtimes than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!"
    Confirmed by whom, you? Ohm's Law still applies to battery packs or at least the last I knew it did. Has this changed recently? If a LiPo pack of identical capacity runs longer than the equivalent Nimh pack it is for one reason and one reason only, differences in mass (weight) or F=MA. When I discharge test both types of packs of similar capacity at the same continuous rate, I can't see any discernable differences in their delivered discharge times. And when performing field tests of the same packs, monitoring runtimes, etc., ... there is no real noticeable difference in runtimes.

"Good LiPos can be had cheaper than good NiMHs? CONFIRMED!"
    Not relevant for this discussion.

"Good LiPos have a higher C rating than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!"
    Again, not relevant for this discussion but I'd be more than happy to discuss this with you off the public forum.

"Good LiPos are more efficient than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!"
    How do you know? Have you tested the efficiency of both types? I'm not saying which one is more efficient, I'm just asking, how do you know?
    Fact: the IR for a typical, good quality; Nimh cell is significantly lower than it is for an equivalent LiPo cell? 1.1 mOhms to 1.5 mOhms per cell for Nimh and 3 mOhms to 7 mOhms per cell for LiPo.

"Zippies are the best bang for your buck LiPos? CONFIRMED!"
    Not relevant for this discussion.

The earth is flat, CONFIRMED!
    Last edited by Jakey; 04-30-2009 at 03:08 PM.

RC Racer
    Haha! So now I'm really confused. Do the Lipo's then only seem to out perform the Nimh because they can be configured with a higher voltage/amperage and still fit in the Revo? Where the Nimh's kind of max out at 8.4v 5000 that will fit? Sorry I'm not that knowledgeable about this subject.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you will get more of a fun factor out of lipos, they hold a higher voltage under load, they are lighter , the last loads longer than nimh in lifespan. a good nimh pack will last about 30 runs and then they will slowly start to fade. lipos will give you preformance even after 200 runs.( lipos must be used within there limits )
    and with nimh you are kind of stuck with stock. even mild brushless setups will shorten there life...

And best thing of all... They are flat JUST LIKE THE EARTH! LOL

Do the Lipo's then only seem to out perform the Nimh because they can be configured with a higher voltage/amperage and still fit in the Revo?
    Well the fact is, there's all the other nihms, then there are SPC Ener-g nihms. The Ener-g's perform much better then any other nihms I've ran. I have ran them with no issues through my brushless E-maxx , and they do very good. They were basically as fast as my 4000 mah 25c lipos, and would run as long. But the energy density of lipos is much higher, so you can fit a much better performing pack, or one that runs longer, in the same space. Here let me try
    LiPos are better than NiMH? CONFIRMED!( imo for what I do yes, if I had a stock E-revo and a good nihm charger, probably not as noticeable)
    LiPos of the same capacity deliver longer runtimes than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!( Depends on whether or not they are accurately rated, a mah is a mah.)
    Good LiPos can be had cheaper than good NiMHs? CONFIRMED!( Not from what I've seen. )
    Good LiPos have a higher C rating than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!( Generally true. But should be worded, a good lipo will hold a higher voltage under a high load , then a good nihm.)
    Good LiPos are more efficient than NiMHs? CONFIRMED!( I have never tested the efficiency of a battery, if it'll run to lvc and not be to hot, who cares)
    Zippies are the best bang for your buck LiPos? CONFIRMED!(possibly if you want to run 6s, for 4s there are much better options for the price)
    BTW when I say good lipo, I do not mean *****, they are imo a good Budget battery, not a Good battery.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I knew the Earth was flat!!!

IMO, it's a law of averages, and taking into account the hundreds of threads I have read about real-world experiences with NiMH and LiPo batteries, regarding the "myths" I listed, the answers I gave were consistent with all of the data, info, etc., read throughout all of those threads.

Now...I, myself, have limited experience with "same voltage/capacity" NiMH & LiPo batteries, so I have to go on everything I have read, both in all of the major forums, and in all of the product documentation on the internet that I have dealt with or just read.

Again, it comes down to averages...the average user, the average batteries, the average vehicles, the average use of all of them. On average, what I said is true, because everyone has different experiences...not everyone has scientific testing equipment or the knowledge of what all the data means, so it needs to be broken down for the "average" user. Jakey, you seem to be an advanced user, and things are different for you...at least you understand things differently than the "average" user. You can take the question, "Does a LiPo outperform a NiMH?", break it down and explain every single factor between the two...the "average" user just wants to know and only understands "yes", or "no", period.

Does a LiPo outperform a NiMH? In most cases, yes...and since it does the majority of the time, it is seen "on average" that LiPos are better than NiMH.

That is ALL I am saying.

As far as my fuse...you came in and just crawled all over the answer I gave, making it obvious that you thought I was an idiot and giving incorrect answers/information...well, I defended myself, that's it...and I had every right to do so, and you should have simply worded your reply differently, or not said anything at all since you had nothing nice to say nor did you have any information to add, good or bad. Your post was nothing but a flame post, flaming me, and it should have never been posted.

Anyway, it's all good.
    Last edited by Revoš; 04-30-2009 at 04:55 PM.

RC Racer
    Ok so the consensus is you can get better Results/life out of the Lipo setup. So just so I am straight.

1) My stock EVX-2 ESC will work with Lipo but I would have to get a LV shutoff. Which if I move to a MMM. I would not need the LV Shutoff any more. Well I wouldn't need the EVX-2 anymore either. I would have to get a Lipo charger too. And or balancer.

2) The largest rated Lipo that works with the EVX-2 would be like a "***** ********* 5000mAh 2S1P 20C" giving me around 15v. But if I'm going Brushless later I would find the 2S-20c not very big. Probably looking for 4s or 6s

So It sounds like it would make more sense in dollars to stick with my Nihm's right now and bank towards going brushless/Lipo. Then doing it all at once. Wish I had bought the brushless version right off the bat. I'm ok with the Brushed speed right now (although fast is fun). I just wanted longer runtimes.

Thanks all for chiming in. Nothing like having a wealth of info at your fingertips. Great work guy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Don't forget you need two batteries for your truck, so you would have two 2S packs, which are wired in series for 4S operation. When you go to brushless, you will still be running those two 2S packs in series for 4S, which is more than enough for most brushless users.

RC Racer
    Cool... Time to collect those buttons. Hey Revoš did you see my comment earlier. If I switch to the MMM would I not be able to run Nihm on my Revo?

The MMM will run on quality nihms. If I were you , and had a nihm charger with adjustable threshold cutoff, I'd get these. http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=14 40 bucks, and the best nihm you can get, the only nihm I would run. If I just had a standard nihm charger, or available money, I'd get lipo's. There are several cheap entry level lipo chargers, that would get you in the game.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I knew the Earth was flat!!!

IMO, it's a law of averages, and taking into account the hundreds of threads I have read about real-world experiences with NiMH and LiPo batteries, regarding the "myths" I listed, the answers I gave were consistent with all of the data, info, etc., read throughout all of those threads.

Now...I, myself, have limited experience with "same voltage/capacity" NiMH & LiPo batteries, so I have to go on everything I have read, both in all of the major forums, and in all of the product documentation on the internet that I have dealt with or just read.

Again, it comes down to averages...the average user, the average batteries, the average vehicles, the average use of all of them. On average, what I said is true, because everyone has different experiences...not everyone has scientific testing equipment or the knowledge of what all the data means, so it needs to be broken down for the "average" user. Jakey, you seem to be an advanced user, and things are different for you...at least you understand things differently than the "average" user. You can take the question, "Does a LiPo outperform a NiMH?", break it down and explain every single factor between the two...the "average" user just wants to know and only understands "yes", or "no", period.

Does a LiPo outperform a NiMH? In most cases, yes...and since it does the majority of the time, it is seen "on average" that LiPos are better than NiMH.

That is ALL I am saying.

As far as my fuse...you came in and just crawled all over the answer I gave, making it obvious that you thought I was an idiot and giving incorrect answers/information...well, I defended myself, that's it...and I had every right to do so, and you should have simply worded your reply differently, or not said anything at all since you had nothing nice to say nor did you have any information to add, good or bad. Your post was nothing but a flame post, flaming me, and it should have never been posted.

Anyway, it's all good.
    If enough people repeat the same myth enough times, over and over again, then it must be true, therefore the earth is flat.
    If you feel my original post was an unwarranted flame .... then report it, but in reality there was no flame. I was just questioning your comments which are still false.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    If enough people repeat the same myth enough times, over and over again, then it must be true, therefore the earth is flat.
    If you feel my original post was an unwarranted flame .... then report it, but in reality there was no flame. I was just questioning your comments which are still false.
    oh boy have we got a die - hard nimh man here.
    any one who has had lipos can aggree to all of those statements.
    i used nimh for years but when i got my first lipos my hobby entered the stage of addiction. im not trying to quit either...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Some people just can't handle change.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I haven't raced with a Nimh pack in well over a year now and I race nearly every weekend. I've been running/bashing/crawling my new Summit with matched, 7-cell Nimh packs for the past 2 weeks, just for a change.
    Some people are leaders, some are followers and some wander around clueless because .... because they are afraid to ask questions and challange the accepted norm. Where do you fit in?

Just keep telling yourself, the world is flat.

any one who has had lipos can aggree to all of those statements
    Wrong again, I have lipos and didn't. Now can you say you have those Ener-g packs ? You constanly do this, both of you. You interject an opinion as fact, with no supporting Experience. Brushless you are horrible about it, just like you saying your MA batteries were the best, now that you have experience with others, your opinion has changed. Jakey no where said that nihms were better, just asked for you to define better . In the same way you assumed that, your assumptions lead you to conclusions that are not true, which then get posted as facts. He has been around here along time, and is one of the more knowledgeable people on here. I have no doubt that if you ask him , "I have a brushless E-revo what batteries would be best ? " What his answer would be and I'm sure he hears this ? repeatedly daily.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... I have no doubt that if you ask him , "I have a brushless E-revo what batteries would be best ? " What his answer would be and I'm sure he hears this ? repeatedly daily.
    LiPo.

RC Champion
    Thats funny as double H E hockeysticks!

RC Qualifier
    alright here goes....get venoms 8.4 5000mah and forget about everthing else!!!!!!!!
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Bump the norm and run 5S A123 packs!!!

RC Racer
    I'm in the same boat...I've got a stock E-revo and am considering switching to Brushless in the future. I went ahead and put the money down to switch to LiPos. Here's what I've ordered...

1. Hyperion EOS606i Charger (Ebay is the cheapest...with free shipping)
    2. 4 5000mah ***** ********* 20c LiPo batteries at $28 each
    3. Novak 4s Smartstop LVC (got it off of maxamps.com)
    4. Extra Traxxas Connectors to put on the ***** batteries when they arrive

These should be fine for getting me off the ground to start racing (I have a few NIMH packs, as well), as the ***** batteries will give me the run-time for the 20 minute A-Main races.
    Also, beware of the Venom 5000mah NIMH 7-cell packs...I just had 2 of the go up in smoke after the 4th run! Venom is replacing them for me, but after I get the new ones, I'm selling them to some sucker at my local hobby shop! Just my opinion...

RC Racer
    I was looking at getting the ***** batteries too. Seems a good entry. I don't race and they seem to get good reviews. also seeing that I would be placing an order with *********. I was thinking of getting ******* Accucel-8 150W 7A Balancer/Charger. This too had good reviews and sounded like it would be a charger I would only need to buy once. Fufilling my Lipo/Nihm changing needs
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=7523

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreycemerson
    I'm in the same boat...I've got a stock E-revo and am considering switching to Brushless in the future. I went ahead and put the money down to switch to LiPos. Here's what I've ordered...

1. Hyperion EOS606i Charger (Ebay is the cheapest...with free shipping)
    2. 4 5000mah ***** ********* 20c LiPo batteries at $28 each
    3. Novak 4s Smartstop LVC (got it off of maxamps.com)
    4. Extra Traxxas Connectors to put on the ***** batteries when they arrive

These should be fine for getting me off the ground to start racing (I have a few NIMH packs, as well), as the ***** batteries will give me the run-time for the 20 minute A-Main races.
    Also, beware of the Venom 5000mah NIMH 7-cell packs...I just had 2 of the go up in smoke after the 4th run! Venom is replacing them for me, but after I get the new ones, I'm selling them to some sucker at my local hobby shop! Just my opinion...

he we go again with the venoms 15 runs on mine 8.4 5000mah and no problems want to sell them to me Im no sucker though, it's like every product that's brought and doesent work out for 15 out of 20 people it's considered no good dont buy, well my venoms have been nothing but great to me maybe you got a pack made on a friday. also how much you spent on that lipo package just to get maybe 10 more min, of run time..just my opinion...
    Last edited by savage t-mack; 05-01-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

RC Racer
    I run the Venom 8.4 5000 in my stock BrRevo and their great. On a fresh charge I get about 10-15min of bashing with them. I also have a pair of Venom 7.2 5000's. Their great too just not as much punch. But longing for more runtime. With an 1.5 hours to charge after they cool down. Once my 2 pairs of packs are dead I'm done.

RC Champion
    Bump the norm and run 5S A123 packs!!!
    I was looking the other day for A123 packs... it's getting harder to find them. Got any links?

a 5s2p pack would be a lot of fun for all this mud we've got right now!
    RC Addict #341777

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A lot of people are buying new DeWalt drill packs on eBay for cheap because they have top-of-the-line A123 cells in them and building their own packs, but you can still buy the regular cells or packs on eBay and at OHS stores.

eBay Linky
    Last edited by Revoš; 05-01-2009 at 11:50 AM.