RC Enthusiast

repeated transmission servo failures

I've had my Summit since mid February. The original transmission servo didn't last through one battery. I picked up a second and it lasted about 6 trips out bashing...I recently converted my Summit to Brushless with the Castle MMM system and I reset ALL the endpoints on all the servos when I installed a Futaba 4PK radio system. The tranny servo again failed before the LVC kicked in on the first run. I put another one in and It died during its first run too. So, I lost the stock and two that I paid for. I finally called Traxxas and they suggested it was feedback from out of sync steering servos. I do have the Steering servos on a Y connector but centering and end-pointing them seemed to be breeze...I can't seem to figure this out. I have been doing RC for 15 years and I believe I know how to set endpoints. Anyone have any suggestions?

RC Racer
    Mine have been doing the exact same thing, i have the same setup to, mmm monster 2200kv and 4pk. I bought some futaba digital servo's that are the exact same fit, but the darn servo splines are smaller than the traxxas mini servo's which have a regular size servo spline. I had to send em back. This is a real problem for me to. I put one hitec 5955 titanium servo instead of running two traxxas servo's. No y harness needed anymore. Still having the servo issue's to thou. I am running the maxamp's 8000 lipo's and 18 tooth pinion that my mmm came with, so go so far, put quite a few packs throu it so far, **** it is nut's with this combo. I love it. Holding up great so far, what pinion are you running.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hal001
    <snip>still having the servo issue's to thou. I am running the maxamp's 8000 lipo's and 18 tooth pinion that my mmm came with, so go so far, put quite a few packs throu it so far, **** it is nut's with this combo. I love it. Holding up great so far, what pinion are you running.
    Ummm...Not too encouraging...Traxxas is sending me a replacement OEM servo and if that burns out I'm going to try metal gears-high torque but it would be nice to know what's really happening to fry the servo motors...I am running the Pinion that came with the truck (14T) It's faster than I need and loads of fun on two 2s Lipos....It will stomp my buddie's standard ERevo...That's fast enough for me...

Why didn't you just use the horn that came with the small Futaba digital servo? For the Tranny, any servo horn of the right length would be fine...The servo saver is basically the spring loaded actuator for the transmission sift linkage.

BTW, about where are you setting your slipper clutch. I bought into the 1/4 turn from fully tight that is floating around these boards and I think that is TOO tight. I lost a rear axle yesterday too. The motor torque just split the inboard cup like cv coupler at one of the pin holes...
    Last edited by stevehof; 04-25-2009 at 04:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I've had one rear diff servo go out and a tranny servo. I got replacements from traxxas and two extras for back up. Mine have been working fine now.

In regards to the slipper, when you stop being stock, stock settings don't apply any more.
    Corrijo
    When the muds flyin, don't call me.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrijo
    <snip>In regards to the slipper, when you stop being stock, stock settings don't apply any more.
    Have you converted to a brushless system? If so, how far out do you set YOUR slipper? Thanks...

RC Racer
    Honestly, i am not sure, it was slipping a bit, so i tightened it up a smidge. Haven't had any diff problems as of yet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehof
    Have you converted to a brushless system? If so, how far out do you set YOUR slipper? Thanks...

I went dual 700 H/o and had to back it off almost 3/4 of a turn. Works great. Pics of my truck on the "let the bling begin" thread.
    Corrijo

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrijo
    I went dual 700 H/o and had to back it off almost 3/4 of a turn. Works great. Pics of my truck on the "let the bling begin" thread.
    When you say you had to 'back it off 3/4 turn' was that because you were busting axles or do you actually mean you tightened it 3/4 turn because is was slipping too much...?

RC Qualifier
    I just thought about it and i bought a HD slipper spring from dan at kershaw and mine was more than tight enough when i compressed the spring and then backed off 3/4 turn. Not quite sure if the tranny is snapping your springs. I think it's the motor and all the instant torque. I've seen a brushless and they're just insane.

Happy Motoring!!!
    Corrijo