Lets talk suspension

I search hi and low on the forum and cannot find a straight forward:

suspension tuning
    suspension setup
    shock setup
    spring rate
    shock oil
    shock porting

Can someone help me with such things as Colors on the Coils (what do they represent), weight of oil (what does this do to the shock) and ports in the shock (what do they acheive).

Or someone can point me to the correct thread and let this end in the archives somewhere.

Thanks.
    Summit

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremesummit
    I search hi and low on the forum and cannot find a straight forward:

suspension tuning
    suspension setup
    shock setup
    spring rate
    shock oil
    shock porting

Can someone help me with such things as Colors on the Coils (what do they represent), weight of oil (what does this do to the shock) and ports in the shock (what do they acheive).

Or someone can point me to the correct thread and let this end in the archives somewhere.

Thanks.
    SPRING COLORS- The colors are to tell different stiffnesses apart from each other.
    OIL WEIGHT- The thicker the oil, the slower the shock compresses. The lighter the oil the faster it compresses.
    PORTS- They change the way the oil transfers through the shock body. Having more holes or bigger holes will let the oil flow easier (faster compression) the smaller holes or less holes will slow the oil down(slower compression).

You may want to check out other traxxas forums for other vehicles as they will probably have more info on how shocks work. Also, if i happen to be wrong on any of my info Im sorry, and Im sure someone will jump in to correct me.

RC Qualifier
    Is there a color chart for the springs?
    Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremesummit

suspension tuning
    suspension setup
    shock setup
    spring rate
    shock oil
    shock porting

All of this right here is the same for 1.1 cars and all R/C.. If you ever want to change the springs or oils or pistons you have to do all 3 of them, you cant just change 1 for it to be right..

EXAMPLE: If you only change the springs to heavier and not the oil you will have a shock that will rebound too fast and make the truck bouncy or tend to want to flip on rough terrain.. If you only change the oil heavier with a soft spring you will find the truck sagging because the spring is too weak to push the weight of the truck and the thick oil back up in time for the next bump..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, thanks for that info Got_Nitro, I didn't think about the rebound being to fast. I have stiffer springs I was fixing to install. I'll wait now until I know more about what I'm doing.

So lets back up a little. Alot of people are turning up the preloads to raise the rig. I'm sure some are doing it:
    1) just due to appearance
    2) to create more clearance in the center
    3) observation of significant sag and bottoming out.

I turned up my preloads due to #2 and #3.
    I've notices a decrease in crawling ability.

Now, my question:
    Is it possible the Summit suspension was set up this way to enhance the crawling ability? Yes, it bottoms out more and sags, but that the performance is better overall? Sure, a bad bounce can always break something.
    But I can't say that I've improved the rig by turning up the preloads.
    Honestly, I'd like to hear from a Traxxas engineer about his view on the suspension, but of course that isn't going to happen.

So, I'll make the assumption that I should have left the suspension alone and maybe should only make small adjustments in the future unless I want to change the balance (rock vs. bash) significantly.

Hmmm, I'm thinking I might just put the preloads back where they were and not install the new springs. So what if it bottoms out on jumps and sags under acceleration. Mine performed best right out of the box (a purely subjective observation).

RC Qualifier
    I don't know how much this pertains to the Summit, but I have found some good info in this link.

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/r...on-tuning.html

RC Racer
    All of the tuning and how it relates to the performance of the truck is in the manual. The stock pre-load is actually a little low for optimum settings. They did this for shipping I'm sure since it is shipped completely compressed.

I currently run about 7mm of preload on the rear and 5mm on the front. It's not much but will give you the right sag and ride height.

For bottoming out, that's a hi-speed compression issue and I switched to #3 pistons in the rear with the stock oil and that seems to have made it just right for bashing.

Again, all this information is in the manual and I also did a little experimentation.
    morgue