Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,036

    Question: E-revo or Slash? Which one to get?

    I was at RCX this weekend and saw the E-revo in action.
    Unbelieveable!
    I always wanted the brushless E-revo (full size), but $1200 is just to much for the truck and 2 sets of batteries.
    So I ordered a 1/16 scale e-revo.
    Now I am wondering if I should have gotten the Slash instead.
    Which one is every going for, the E-revo or the Slash?

  2. #2
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8
    Getting both eventually. Always been a sucker for the smaller scales. I'll get the E-revo first, if possible, and then complete the pair with the slash. That's the plan anyway.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ft Wayne, IN
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit07
    I was at RCX this weekend and saw the E-revo in action.
    Unbelieveable!
    I always wanted the brushless E-revo (full size), but $1200 is just to much for the truck and 2 sets of batteries.
    So I ordered a 1/16 scale e-revo.
    Now I am wondering if I should have gotten the Slash instead.
    Which one is every going for, the E-revo or the Slash?
    $1200? How do you get that much?

    E-revo brushless

    $609 - http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...3b710567ba9007

    $599 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TRA5608!1008

    ***** 5000 mah 20C 2S batteries - $28 each (about $15 shipping each)

    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0mAh_2S1P_20C_

    ***** 5000 mah 20C 3S batteries - $43 each (about $15 shipping each)

    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0mAh_3S1P_20C_

    Balancing Charger - $50 on up
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Lebanon NY
    Posts
    1,137
    im buying the mini erevo and asking for the mini slash for my b-day.
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    1,519
    If you always wanted the Bl-revo, why not go for the mini? That's what I am doing in my case. Eventually, I will want to return to my roots and get the larger bl-revo, but the mini seems perfect for me.

    Of course, this hobby is addicting.. so, I may modify this statement later down the line. haha

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Lebanon NY
    Posts
    1,137
    if only there was some way to rent RC's to see if you like them before you buy them.
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    321
    I too would like the big boy bl revo but at a cost of at least $1200 to $1500 with a few sets of lipos and the way the economy is at the moment the mini is more in my range. Though once things pick up I will get the big dog.
    Calandra CRC Gen X 10 235mm setup

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    74
    I want the 1/16 revo because you can do bigger jumps with it. It's a more versatle truck than the 1/16 slayer.
    That was loud and uneccesary...perfect!!!

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    1,519
    I agree with you, espresso. I used to have a bl-emaxx (way back when), but that thing sucked me dry. I am thinking that the mini will break less and cost less overall without any major drawbacks. Hop-ups will be the catalyst to start the wallet drain again..

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    321
    I also have the emaxx but it is not fun when it requires two batteries and you only have one set and when news came that a bl revo was in the works I sold it off. But as stated above in order to have real fun you have to invest into at least 3 sets of lipos at $400 to $600 a pop. I could have bought the erevo but would have been a while before I could come up with that amount for lipos and spare parts. Next year hopefully.
    Calandra CRC Gen X 10 235mm setup

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Posts
    508
    3 sets of lipos for $600 each? You can get *****s for 1/6th that price!!
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Lebanon NY
    Posts
    1,137
    ***** 3S 5000mah 20C= $43
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,219
    will the slash handle worse then the revo?
    vxlpede
    wkcrawler
    minirio
    1/8nbuggy
    1/16vxl?

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    171
    Go with the E-revo.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,930
    They are designed to handle differently. The slash is probably designed to kick the rear end out, while the Revo is for the most part meant to keep all the wheels in check and under control, though I have found the full size Revo to kick out when pushed to the limits and yet it still is extremely controllable and predictable.

    I would simply go with the E-Revo because it is going to have better suspension travel and overall stability. I had a mini once and while it was VERY fast (60mph) it was impossible to control at anything over 15mph unless you were on pavement (and even then it was finicky). So, as far as a mini goes, I'll take all the stability I can get.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    I have two Amsoil Slash on the way! Yaho

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks all for your input. I made the correct choice the E-revo it is!

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    $1200? How do you get that much?

    E-revo brushless

    $609 - http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...3b710567ba9007

    $599 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TRA5608!1008

    ***** 5000 mah 20C 2S batteries - $28 each (about $15 shipping each)

    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0mAh_2S1P_20C_

    ***** 5000 mah 20C 3S batteries - $43 each (about $15 shipping each)

    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...0mAh_3S1P_20C_

    Balancing Charger - $50 on up
    Lets see $609 for the E-revo +tax=$670

    http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...O-Pair&cat=207 $360+shipping $375
    http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...O-Pair&cat=207 $270

    Thats $1315 and you don't even have a charger yet.

    http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0610i-DUO2.htm (by the way this does 2 batteries at 2C charge rate...Cool!)$300

    http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-40A.htm $140

    Now I'm at $1855.
    I never even heard of ***** batteries.
    If they come in 30c or 40 c I might be interested, as long as they have a 3 year warranty.
    At $1200 I was just guessing...
    In the real world you would have $2500 in the Brushless E-revo in a matter of months, will upgrades, spare parts, bodies, new tool boxes etc. Too rich for my blood!

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ft Wayne, IN
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit07
    Lets see $609 for the E-revo +tax=$670

    http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...O-Pair&cat=207 $360+shipping $375
    http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...O-Pair&cat=207 $270

    Thats $1315 and you don't even have a charger yet.

    http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0610i-DUO2.htm (by the way this does 2 batteries at 2C charge rate...Cool!)$300

    http://www.maxamps.com/Power-Supply-40A.htm $140

    Now I'm at $1855.
    I never even heard of ***** batteries.
    If they come in 30c or 40 c I might be interested, as long as they have a 3 year warranty.
    At $1200 I was just guessing...
    In the real world you would have $2500 in the Brushless E-revo in a matter of months, will upgrades, spare parts, bodies, new tool boxes etc. Too rich for my blood!
    Yeah good comparison, buy the most expensive middle of the road lipos on the market. If you would have read the forum for more than 5 minutes you would see that maxamps is descent but massively over priced and that ***** lipos are extremely good quality for 1/6th the price.

    I really dont care what you do so buy whatever you want, buy you can get a complete package with the e-revo, 6 2S lipo packs, and a charger for under $1000. Thats a bit better than $1800 then the $2500 you pulled out of your butt.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 04-25-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    Seems to me its under $1000, but if you cant afford it then by all means get whatever you want.
    You gotta admit though, even $1000 from having nothing to a full setup, is pretty expensive.

    I agree with you as far as batteries.
    But you're right, if you can't afford the full size Revo (like me), the mini is obviously the next best thing.

    $230-250 truck, $50 batteries (I'm estimating, please don't hurt me) and a $100ish charger. Very appealing.

    I decided that in a little over 2 months I'm moving to a new place, so I "can't afford" a mini either. But I'm in the process of trying to convince my son to let me sell the road car. If I can do that, I might be able spot the rest to make the difference.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ft Wayne, IN
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    You gotta admit though, even $1000 from having nothing to a full setup, is pretty expensive.

    I agree with you as far as batteries.
    But you're right, if you can't afford the full size Revo (like me), the mini is obviously the next best thing.

    $230-250 truck, $50 batteries (I'm estimating, please don't hurt me) and a $100ish charger. Very appealing.

    I decided that in a little over 2 months I'm moving to a new place, so I "can't afford" a mini either. But I'm in the process of trying to convince my son to let me sell the road car. If I can do that, I might be able spot the rest to make the difference.
    Imo you cant count all the accessories towards one car unless you only ever want to own one car. You can use the batteries, charger, etc for other models too.

    But yes even $600 to buy it up front is alot of $$, but its still cheaper than what people have been spending on conversions for years. People have been paying $400+ for a nitro revo only to strip it down and spend $250+ on a brushless setup, then all the extras like mounts and everything else.

    Value is relative to what you are getting. $600 is alot of money for anyone, but its not crazy for what you get.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by espresso1967
    I too would like the big boy bl revo but at a cost of at least $1200 to $1500 with a few sets of lipos and the way the economy is at the moment the mini is more in my range. Though once things pick up I will get the big dog.
    I hear you on that. Only way I will get the 1/10 brushless e-revo is if we get our bonus back at the end of the year. That was my plan this past Christmas before the economy tanked.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    You gotta admit though, even $1000 from having nothing to a full setup, is pretty expensive.

    I agree with you as far as batteries.
    But you're right, if you can't afford the full size Revo (like me), the mini is obviously the next best thing.

    $230-250 truck, $50 batteries (I'm estimating, please don't hurt me) and a $100ish charger. Very appealing.

    I decided that in a little over 2 months I'm moving to a new place, so I "can't afford" a mini either. But I'm in the process of trying to convince my son to let me sell the road car. If I can do that, I might be able spot the rest to make the difference.
    Heck, get a Mega Peak charger for aroud $30-$40 and stick with nimh batteries until you can get the cash to switch to lipo. That's what I did with my RC18's and it worked out fine. Show your son the mini e-revo and then find a ball field to show him where you two will run it and I'll bet he will be sold on it. Good luck.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    321
    Price is right but as stated above at the moment with the economy I personally cannot justify that at the moment. I have lipo charger, tools and other equiptment to run this bad boy but not until the economy picks up and my job is secured. But $600 plus 3 sets of lipos I am down dropping $1,000 plus as this big dog is one awesome monster. Man the way they had it running at RCX just confirmed what the 1/10 revo can do and take.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    Imo you cant count all the accessories towards one car unless you only ever want to own one car. You can use the batteries, charger, etc for other models too.

    But yes even $600 to buy it up front is alot of $$, but its still cheaper than what people have been spending on conversions for years. People have been paying $400+ for a nitro revo only to strip it down and spend $250+ on a brushless setup, then all the extras like mounts and everything else.

    Value is relative to what you are getting. $600 is alot of money for anyone, but its not crazy for what you get.
    Calandra CRC Gen X 10 235mm setup

  25. #25
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    40
    How was the size of the 1/16 revo? I have ordered one, and I think it may be too small. I have a rustler vxl now, are they comparable in size?

  26. #26

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    535

    Exclamation

    You guys talking about handling etc. If you look at the accesories section on the 1/16th they have center diffs to put in to keep them in control as well as the red turnbuckles etc.

    And I added up prices of the hop ups listed so far and the prices they dont have listed for some others and guestismated. Will cost you $175 ish.

    Push rods-$23
    CVDS-$50(guess)
    Turnbuckles-$32
    GTR alum shock bodies-$20(guess)
    Center diff-$25(guess)
    Titanium shock shafts- $15
    Alum hex nuts-$10

  28. #28
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman65
    I hear you on that. Only way I will get the 1/10 brushless e-revo is if we get our bonus back at the end of the year. That was my plan this past Christmas before the economy tanked.
    redman works for AIG!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •