RC Enthusiast

Need help melting rubber

So i am a machinist and will be making some molds on friday to make my own tires for my slayer. I am going to have to make my own hubs which are halfway done. So i tried doing a little pour today so i could get the hang of melting the rubber and all i did was burn it

I am using actual car tire rubber with out steel braided wires in it, and i have a pretty good set up but i can't get it to just melt all it does is catch fire and burn.

Any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Rubber isnt really melted and pour like say lead. It is heated to soften it then molded using heat and pressure. I'm not sure if you can get rubber to a pourable state.

RC Enthusiast
    Try this. Instead of directly heating the rubber put it in a pot over a pot of boiling water. Either way you need to use indirect heat to do it. Another thing to try would be to suspend it over a gas grill, you just need to creat seperation so the heat is not directly on the rubber.

it might be hard to make your own tires since rubber tires are extruded.

RC Enthusiast
    How can they extrud a circle??

I was using indirect heat, i had the rubber in a stainless stell mixing bowl and was heating the bowl... Maybe I'll try to bowls and boil water in the bottom bowl to heat and melt the rubber in the first bowl...

RC Competitor
    most RC tires are made in an injection mold from what I understand, the indirectly heat the rubber to a super soft state then inject it into the mold, and cool it till it is solid enough to peel out....
    ...till the wheels fall off!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I figure something out... I hope lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Real tire compound is probably going to be waaayyy to hard for our application.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by djzachtyler
    most RC tires are made in an injection mold from what I understand, the indirectly heat the rubber to a super soft state then inject it into the mold, and cool it till it is solid enough to peel out....
    injection mold...... that's the term i was looking for.

extrusion is when they force rubber into a different shape. i was thinking injection mold but the words came out extrusion.

RC poster
    The rubber is extruded, under a nitrogen atmosphere, to keep the rubber from burning, which it will do in the presence of oxygen. Once the mold is filled, it is then cooled with chilled water to a point the rubber will release from the mold and not burn.

RC Qualifier
    The problem you are having is the rubber from a finished tire has been "vulcanized" basically a way of treating rubber to make it very tough.just like heat treating metal.
    untreated or processed rubber is very brittle and would not last long.

In fact if you ever ran an un-vulcanized tire on a car it would only last a mile or two.

Google the vulcanizing process i know it can be UNDONE but i am unsure of how to do this.
    Revo 3.3,slayer,ERBE,
    Slash 4x4 RTR and Platinum

RC Qualifier
    or another idea! everybody on hear has some worn out tires right? If project carbide uses his old worn out tires you could reuse the correct rubber.

But honestly anyone who can afford to buy a BL e-revo, should be able to pay for some new rims/tires
    Revo 3.3,slayer,ERBE,
    Slash 4x4 RTR and Platinum

I don't think you can melt rubber and pour it into a mold. when they make a tire the rubber is soft but not a liquid.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyA.
    or another idea! everybody on hear has some worn out tires right? If project carbide uses his old worn out tires you could reuse the correct rubber.

But honestly anyone who can afford to buy a BL e-revo, should be able to pay for some new rims/tires

I like that idea^^^^

I am not sure how i will get this to work, but i will. I might have to buy unmixed materials then "make" the rubber myself... I was hoping it would be easier than this... hopefully i can get some headway on this this weekend...

thanks for all the responses guys