RC Competitor

Dewalt install questions

After burning up my motors (titan 550) yesterday after only about 10 runs, I think I'm going to upgrade the motor. I'm very interested in trying the Dewalt 12V, but after searching and reading lots of threads on this, I'm still a little confused. Is there a thread along the lines of "Complete Idiot's Guide to Dewalt Motor Installation"? I'm starting to get the general idea, but I'm new to RC, and my LHS isn't much help, and is over an hour away. Here is what I think I need:

1. Dewalt motor from Sears
    2. Motor mount (not sure which one is easiest to install)
    3. 3 capacitors (not sure which size)
    4. Screws/bolts to connect motor to motor mount (not sure which size)
    5. Pinion gear (still not sure which size)
    6. Spacers (I don't know what these are for, or what size they are)

I actually took an older Dewalt 12V drill apart today to see if the motor would work, but it's a different model than I've seen in the threads, which was unfortunate. Any help would be appreciated.

RC Racer
    Another choice is the titan 775 with a 19t 5mm bore mod .08 (32p)off here.
    http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=3155

RC Racer
    ... just turn you head and ignore the titan 775. not to be heard of again.

1. yes you can get your dewalt from sears i got mine from my local dewalt dealership
    2.i hope you not asking if you can mount it on the top mount because you cant...you need to elongate the largest holes in the bottem mount. i made a third hole to take advantage of all 3 mounting holes on the dewalt can for support.
    3. i just use two. one from pos to can and one from neg to can. i have had zero problems with this set up. you just use the ones that come with the titans. just swap them out.
    4.i beleave that they are 3mm screws they might be 4mm its been a while
    5.i cant help you with this because i have upgraded to 1mod gearing. and dont know what it converts in to for the stock gearing.
    6. i used 5 1mm washers on each screw =5mm spacing.

... yeah wit the older dewalts you have to make your own screw holes.

titan vs. ryobi vs. dewalt.

hope this helps you
    only fifty... REALLY?

RC Racer
    I'd have an 19 / 20 tooth pinion and then various spur gears to try - get a temp gun and try different spur combos to get the right mix of speed / long runtime w/o overheating the electronics.

The DeWalt install may seem intimidating at first, but once you're done you realize it wasn't that hard, and you'll wish you did it sooner!

RC Qualifier
    Yes, you will be nothing but happy with this setup. 20/65 worked good for me when I had the single speed transmission. It is a great reliable motor and you will see a significant improvement over stock.

Hope this Helps.

RC Racer
    true that!!! lol
    only fifty... REALLY?

RC Racer
    rabbithazen
    I was noticing your antenna mod in the above pix. you cut a hole in the top on your receiver box, hot glued some old antenna tube across it, and then ran the antenna through that, and up through the stock antenna mount. is this correct?
    My real question here however is, is that necessary? Did you find that gave you greater range? I got the dx3s recently, and ran the wire along the same route as the stock receiver, but it only sticks up a cpl inches. I haven't noticed any reception issues, but then again, I haven't tried it any other way.
    e-revo, Dewalt 12v motor, 2 speed conversion, dx3s

RC Racer
    umm... i made the top secton on my receiver semi-clear by cutting hole placing thin piece of plastic over the hole then put layer of epoxy on both sides of the clear plastic so I can see the light that tells me that my receiver is working. its dx3R. I didn't run the antenna tube out of it the antenna is in the same place as most e-revos.
    only fifty... REALLY?

RC Racer
    that's weird, my antenna wire is much shorter than that then; my wire doesn't come anywhere near that length.
    e-revo, Dewalt 12v motor, 2 speed conversion, dx3s

RC Racer
    its a spektrum dx3r reviever... what reviever do you havein the second pics you can see that i bent the antenna tube to keep it under the body.
    only fifty... REALLY?