Thread: need for speed

RC poster

Cool need for speed

hey, ive been driving my e-revo around, and i was wondering what kind of battery would give me a fast ride.also, tell me what gearing would be needed to get that need for speed feeling. when my car gose by, this is the expresion i want to see on my friends face: please share your thoughts with me.

RC Qualifier
    Mmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Racer
    lipo's will give u more speed, but i'd avoid changing gearing, the revo is over geared already.
    as stated above, go mmm brushless system and you'll be screaming fast; however, you can upgrade to a stronger brushed motor and get a decent bit more speed for a fraction of the price. check out the kershaw 700ho, or the dewalt 12v, if u read my sig u can guess my vote ;-)
    e-revo, Dewalt 12v motor, 2 speed conversion, dx3s

RC Racer

Cool

HI!... Go with two 11.1 volt, 8000mAh li-po's. Run time will be about 40-45 minutes. Get a MAMBA MONSTER and ESC. With the right gear you can hit 70mph + for top speed. I'm running two 7.4 volt, 8000mAh MAXAMP li-po's and 25 pinion/54 spur and am getting 50MPH +. Make sure you get the right tires. I decided to go with the HPI "PHATLINES". The stock tires don't stay on the rims too long after 45MPH. LOL!
    53 Tamiya
    4 Traxxas
    1 Losi
    1 Kyosho
    17 AE

RC Racer
    ya, but that's $300 for the motor and esc, and another $275+ per battery. he's looking at $850 before shipping or taxes, and that's figuring he's already got a charger for lipo's. I'm thinking karkid was looking for a more moderate budget right now.

Do you really think that for the almost dbl price of the 8000's over the 4000's, it's worth it? I'd rather swap packs half way through, than risk frying a $275 battery. Ouch!!
    Value wise, there's little difference in cost per mAh, but replacement for a blown cel would be significant.
    just my thoughts on it.
    e-revo, Dewalt 12v motor, 2 speed conversion, dx3s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    $275 for batteries? No, less than $100 for great batteries.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Racer

Cool

HI!... Well if you want to play, you got to pay. This is by no means a cheap sport. I've got 4 MAXAMPS 7.4 volt, 8000mAh LI-PO batteries. Cost was about $1000(CAN). I have a TEKIN 3400mAh li-po that was $120(CAN) and a VENOM 8.4 volt, 5000mAh NIMH that was around $80(CAN). That's just $1200 in batteries alone. lol! I'd hate to add it all up but I bet I have $3500(CAN) tied just up in my E-REVO, with upgrade, cost of the car, transmitter, charger, batteries... etc.

I've seen the 8000mAh vs. 5000mAh and all I can say is the 8000's blow the 5000's away totally. I wish the E-REVO battery tray's were larger. MAXAMPS makes a 7.4 volt, 12,000mAh LI-PO that gives you run times of 1 hour 15 minutes. I like the idea of custom battery trays and running two 22.2 volt, 6500mAh li-po's. Run them in parallel and still get 22.2 volts but 13,000 mAh's. lol!
    53 Tamiya
    4 Traxxas
    1 Losi
    1 Kyosho
    17 AE

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by THE H.P FREAK
    Go with two 11.1 volt, 8000mAh li-po's.
    For what it's worth, 3s (11.1 volt) 8000 mah packs will NOT fit in the E Revo battery boxes.

Right now the largest 3s that'll fit is 5000mah (maybe this has changed as there are new cells being released, but close), and 2s 8000 (I believe there are 2s 9000s coming out soon that'll fit).

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, freak, just wow! MaxCraps is, well...crap. ***** LiPos are MUCH better than MaxAmps, and much cheaper, so you could have gotten your batteries for a couple hundred dollars AND had MUCH better batteries.

That's what I keep saying, people who are paying these rediculous prices for batteries need to listen to us and go the ***** (*********) route...they are excellent batteries and are 1/4 to 1/3 the price of everything else.

RC Competitor
    Thunder power lipos will help

RC Racer

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Wow, freak, just wow! MaxCraps is, well...crap. ***** LiPos are MUCH better than MaxAmps, and much cheaper, so you could have gotten your batteries for a couple hundred dollars AND had MUCH better batteries.

That's what I keep saying, people who are paying these rediculous prices for batteries need to listen to us and go the ***** (*********) route...they are excellent batteries and are 1/4 to 1/3 the price of everything else.
    HI!... Well I'm VERY happy with my MAXAMPS LI-PO's . Best LI-PO's I have owned. Their customer service is top notch. I had two bloated li-po's and without questions they sent me out 2 brand new one's under warranty for free. They outlast all my buddies LI-PO's of the same size. Sorry to hear you've had bad luck with them, but I'm very happy with them.
    53 Tamiya
    4 Traxxas
    1 Losi
    1 Kyosho
    17 AE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I do agree that their customer service is top-notch, so is their building ability, and those guys are just great people in general, and I really like them...their cells just aren't as good as their price, and Zippies are better, that's all I am saying. I have never had any problems with MaxAmps packs, in fact, they work great for most applications, they are just WAY overpriced.

RC Racer

Cool

HI!... Well I guess were paying for the name! LOL! Isn't that the way it always works?
    53 Tamiya
    4 Traxxas
    1 Losi
    1 Kyosho
    17 AE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by karkid15
    hey, ive been driving my e-revo around, and i was wondering what kind of battery would give me a fast ride.also, tell me what gearing would be needed to get that need for speed feeling. when my car gose by, this is the expresion i want to see on my friends face: please share your thoughts with me.

Two 3-cell lipos, a 22t pinion and 54t spur along with the 2200kv castle system will get you 64mph 62,64,60... at least it did for me .... maybe more BUT the tires wont hold... I had one explode on me.... I guess it isnt that bad so long as its in the name of speed.
    The Winners Circle: Revo w/ O.S 18TM --> 4-Tec Pro

RC Qualifier
    HI!... Go with two 11.1 volt, 8000mAh li-po's. Run time will be about 40-45 minutes. Get a MAMBA MONSTER and ESC. With the right gear you can hit 70mph + for top speed. I'm running two 7.4 volt, 8000mAh MAXAMP li-po's and 25 pinion/54 spur and am getting 50MPH +. Make sure you get the right tires. I decided to go with the HPI "PHATLINES". The stock tires don't stay on the rims too long after 45MPH. LOL!

I have the mounted HPI "PHATLINES on my sportwerks mayhem ST... I thought about trying them on my E-REVO.. but I would sure hate to mess up a set of those babies... how do they hold up under power and speed.

RC Racer

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bluephi1914
    I have the mounted HPI "PHATLINES on my sportwerks mayhem ST... I thought about trying them on my E-REVO.. but I would sure hate to mess up a set of those babies... how do they hold up under power and speed.
    HI!... I don't know yet. My PHATLINES are still on back order. If your going to run them on your REVO then dismount the tires from the rims and wrap some GORILLA tape around the inside of the tire. This helps the tire not grow while at high speeds by like 85%.
    53 Tamiya
    4 Traxxas
    1 Losi
    1 Kyosho
    17 AE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by karkid15

First question that needs to be asked..
    How much money are you willing to spend to get the speed you want?

In this hobby speed costs!

check this thread out.. speed on a budget
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=467704

RC Qualifier
    HI!... I don't know yet. My PHATLINES are still on back order. If your going to run them on your REVO then dismount the tires from the rims and wrap some GORILLA tape around the inside of the tire. This helps the tire not grow while at high speeds by like 85%.

Man.. I know but Im kinda lazy.... when it comes to mounting and dismounting tires... glueing....etc. but I knew it would come to this....

I will probably take a trip to the store today or tomorrow and give it a try.