RC Racer

Need Help! Fried a battery!

Okay, I was out driving my stock E-Revo. I ran it for 5-8 minutes or so. When I powered off the ESC, a second later, I saw a puff of smoke. I opened up the top and it was coming from one of my battery packs.
    I was using 2 Venom 5000 NIMH 7 cell packs. I pulled them out and on both, the plastic wrapping is melted a bit down at the bottom of the pack. One of them obviously fried a cell. So, I assume that pack is done. But, they were almost brand new! I'd charged/run them maybe 4 times. They were cool when I started running the truck...I can't imagine that they heated up enough in 5-8 minutes of relatively aggressive driving that it would fry one! Any ideas what happened here?

The batteries were pretty hot when I pulled them out...but not so hot that you couldn't touch them or anything. Didn't seem like they were way too hot. But I don't know, obviously.

Was I running them too hot? Is there something I need to change? Or are they just terrible quality batteries?
    I don't know what would make them both get so hot this time when I've run them several times for longer spans and they've been fine.

Any help would be much appreciated!

RC Qualifier
    10 or more runs on my venoms 8.4 5000mah batteries,run times from 25 to 30 mins non-stop bashing, no problem whats so ever, what are you guys doing to these batteries you must be doing something wrong charging them, I charger min at 3amps no problem here.
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

The Venom NiMH do not have a good rep around here. I would call their support and try to get a new pack.

I recommend the Ener-g cells from Promatch and SPC. Many people love their cells and they are a good price too.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Racer
    I don't know what I did wrong...I charged them at exactly 3 amps...let them cool plenty (several hours, actually), and only ran them for a few minutes...and all of this is on the stock gearing on my E-Revo. I don't get it. Either way, I wish I had read more about the Venom NIMH reputation before I bought some. But, at least I hear they will replace the batteries free of charge.

It is hard telling. One of the cell could have been bad from the start.

Yeah.. The MT's draw a lot of power and some quality cells are really needed. If you do not want the Ener-g cells, at least look for packs that are in the side-by-side configuration.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreycemerson
    I don't know what I did wrong...I charged them at exactly 3 amps...let them cool plenty (several hours, actually), and only ran them for a few minutes...and all of this is on the stock gearing on my E-Revo. I don't get it. Either way, I wish I had read more about the Venom NIMH reputation before I bought some. But, at least I hear they will replace the batteries free of charge.
    yes could have been a bad cell, but that can happen in any pack I dont work or have anything to do with venom but I stand by there products so far, if it happens to me down the road then I will buy other packs but like I said no problems after 14 runs full bash...nothing broken so far..they say to install a 17t pinion instead of the 19t pinion that comes with the truck less stress on the batterys and motors.
    Last edited by savage t-mack; 04-19-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

That is a good point you made about the pinion.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreycemerson
    are you new with the erevo? did you just get your erevo recently? and when you got your batteries did you put different connectors on them? i might have the answer...
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Racer
    Yep, I got my E-Revo about a week ago, though I'm not new to Electric R/C's...I used to race 1/10 Losi Trucks. I did not put different connectors on the batteries...they came with the Traxxas plugs.
    Why? What's the answer!?!?

I think he may be thinking that if you put new connectors on that you might have accidentally shorted the battery?? That it Shmate?

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    well when i got my erevo the batteries i had were dean connectors and so i had to replace the plugs on the esc's and well while putting the wires on i had crossed a wire and with another and didnt notice and i went to plug my nub batteries in and they got hot in like 10 seconds and i couldnt figure out why until i re looked over my wiring and found out i needed to switch the wires around. SOOO my answer for you though doesnt apply since the batteries you are using have the same connectors as the erevo esc ones. thats the only reason i can see them getting hot like that, or im just betting if only 1 pack got hot and puffed then you just got a bad pack...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042
    I think he may be thinking that if you put new connectors on that you might have accidentally shorted the battery?? That it Shmate?

-Brett
    yea thats pre much what i was saying...

RC Qualifier
    Same thing happened to me, 100% stock. The local hobby store contacted Venom for me and I got a new set. They work great. I would suggest getting a refund from the hobby store if you can and getting some promatch batteries.
    Summit, CEN MG10-TR, Losi Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ieatfish
    Same thing happened to me, 100% stock. The local hobby store contacted Venom for me and I got a new set. They work great. I would suggest getting a refund from the hobby store if you can and getting some promatch batteries.
    you arent running lipos? what batteries are you using? im trying to decide if i want to mess with lipos or just get some amazing regular batteris.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmate
    you arent running lipos? what batteries are you using? im trying to decide if i want to mess with lipos or just get some amazing regular batteris.
    I have NiMH and it happened to both the packs in my EMaxx at the same time. I think I had a bad servo which helped as well.

I have some ProMatch 4600mAh 7 cell packs now and they are great. My wife couldn't wheelie with the stock Revo with the Venom packs but the ProMatch ones are much better. We still use the Venom packs and they work, but the ProMatch ones are just great. I don't have anything bad to say, except they are a little tight in the battery trays, that's all. Great batteries. The best if you don't want to get lipo ready.
    Summit, CEN MG10-TR, Losi Micro-T

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can get 3 good LiPo packs for what it costs to get a single great NiMH pack. I don't know why people are so scared of LiPos, there is nothing to them, and they are cheaper and more powerful!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Racer
    I'm beginning to think you're right...LiPo may be the way to go considering you can get the ***** packs for under $30 for 5000mah.
    I think I'll try and get my packs replaced by Venom, then return them or sell them and get LiPo packs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    You can get 3 good LiPo packs for what it costs to get a single great NiMH pack. I don't know why people are so scared of LiPos, there is nothing to them, and they are cheaper and more powerful!
    only reasons why im worried is cuz of all the wiring of the lvc and what not. I suck at all that stuff on how to wire it and stuff. Theres a guy i know where i live who is like 48 or so and so he's not up to date with this stuff and so yea idk who ima have wire my stuff if i get lipos. Does anyone know if Hobbytown USA would wire that stuff up for me for a cost?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is no need at all to have anyone else wire anything for you...just plug and play!

Dude, just buy the pre-made adapters and plug them in, it's as simple as that...there is absolutely nothing to it. We will all help you if you need it. Don't let wiring intimidate you...if you can plug in a NiMH battery, you can use LiPos.

Can you solder? You don't need to if using the pre-made adapters, but if you will learn how to solder, you can then custom wire up anything, and save yourself a ton of money and time. And again, if you can plug a plug into the wall, and understand that heat melts things, you can solder. You can buy a $7 60-watt soldering iron (don't buy a soldering gun) and some silver-solder and be on your way to some nice custom wiring jobs. DO NOT let this stuff intimidate you, it's as easy as making a sandwich.
    Last edited by Revoš; 04-20-2009 at 11:52 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Dude, just buy the pre-made adapters and plug them in, it's as simple as that...there is absolutely nothing to it. We will all help you if you need it. Don't let wiring intimidate you...if you can plug in a NiMH battery, you can use LiPos.
    alright, thanks for the support and willing to help me out. I have all my stuff in my cart at ********* but they are like -26 on the lipos i want.... So i might just go ahead and make the order and just wait till they come in. The picture in the faq confused me but yea if i do need help then ill ask. Thanks Revo1

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anytime, man...and if you need personal help, I don't mind giving you my cell phone number and walking you through it in person...it really is that easy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is no need at all to have anyone else wire anything for you...just plug and play!

Can you solder? You don't need to if using the pre-made adapters, but if you will learn how to solder, you can then custom wire up anything, and save yourself a ton of money and time. And again, if you can plug a plug into the wall, and understand that heat melts things, you can solder. You can buy a $7 60-watt soldering iron (don't buy a soldering gun) and some silver-solder and be on your way to some nice custom wiring jobs. DO NOT let this stuff intimidate you, it's as easy as making a sandwich.
    Don't forget to re-read this, I added a lot since you read it last...

RC Qualifier
    yea i have a soldering gun i believe, and that guy that i mentioned has both. I have soldered wires before and if anything i can tell the guy what i want and he can do it.

right now in my cart i have:
    Maxpro Battery Monitor 2S--lipod cutoff
    ********* batteris
    charger
    power supply

and ill have to get some deans cuz thats whats on my erevo. I think thats everything i need isnt it? What pre-made adaptors are you talking about? i wanna take a look at them please.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just look on tower for series and parallel adapters...

And don't let that guy do anything for you, do it yourself...if you can make a sandwich, you can solder wires together.

RC Qualifier
    Just look on tower for series and parallel adapters...

And don't let that guy do anything for you, do it yourself...if you can make a sandwich, you can solder wires together.
    kk. So the soldering gun that my dad and i have will work or just buy an iron?

edit: most people run them in series right? ive heard it doesnt matter how you run them but i was just curious which is better if any?
    Last edited by Shmate; 04-20-2009 at 01:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I can attest to Venom's lack of quality for their nimh packs as well.
    Although, in their defense, I was running a MM/7XL combo in my emaxx geared 20/68, so maybe I was pulling a few more amps than they could handle, but I believe I have read other people posting success stories running nimh packs with a BL system.
    At any rate, if you nuked a pack with the stock setup, I'd simply steer clear of venom batts from now on.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you have a pair of 2S or 3S packs, run them in series...if you have a pair of 4S, 5S, or 6S packs, run them in parallel.

Yes, a soldering gun will do, but it is overkill and can sometimes heat up a battery to much and damage it...that's why I always use a 60-watt iron instead.

RC Qualifier
    alrighty man, thanks for the help. Not sure when im going to make my purchase. Sometime soon im sure.

RC Qualifier
    Nimh are batteries of the past. the MT is heavy and it will heat up the best Nimh batts which provide less run time and cant be used run after run because they have to cool.
    go with a pair of 2S lipos and you will wonder why you ever spent money on ni-mh's.
    Wellington, Florida RC Racer

RC Racer
    Yeah, I hope so. I've ordered 2 of the 5000mah ***** ********* LiPos. They're backordered, though. Hopefully it won't take too long. Until then, my E-Revo is grounded. When Venom sends me my replacement packs for the aforementioned fried packs...I'm probably going to just sell them and use the money to buy some more *****'s.

Anyone looking for Venom 5000 NIMH packs?

RC Qualifier
    If you have a pair of 2S or 3S packs, run them in series...if you have a pair of 4S, 5S, or 6S packs, run them in parallel.

Yes, a soldering gun will do, but it is overkill and can sometimes heat up a battery to much and damage it...that's why I always use a 60-watt iron instead.
    How many of the series connectors will i need?
    (these) http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=2156

Im running stock, 2 escs, 2 motors, will i be running the lipos off 1 esc or hows this all work with 2 escs. The pics in the FAQ i believe only show 1 esc...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why do you have 2 speed controls?

If you do have 2 speed controls, then you just plug 1 battery into each speed control, no series connector needed.

If you have 1 speed control that has 2 battery inputs, then you just plug 1 battery into each battery connector on the speed control.

RC Qualifier
    Why do you have 2 speed controls?

If you do have 2 speed controls, then you just plug 1 battery into each speed control, no series connector needed.

If you have 1 speed control that has 2 battery inputs, then you just plug 1 battery into each battery connector on the speed control.
    yea i have 2 escs. Im running all stock. So i wont need a series connector? i just plug 1 battery into each esc? where does the lvc go then?im sure you are busy but a pic would help. and i still dont think the faq has a pic im looking for.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Correct...

What ESCs do you have? Let me look them up so I can see what type of wiring they have and I will let you know exactly how to hook everything up.

RC Qualifier
    Everything is stock. Stock escs, motors, everything. only thing i have added or shock socks from badhorsie and tekno swaybar kit.(love the swaybar kit too btw)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock E-Revo does not come with 2 ESCs...

RC Enthusiast
    I thought this was just me. I just lost two 4200 7-cell venom packs in my completely stock revo. I just sent them back to Venom last monday so I'm waiting to hear from that. I also have two 5000 7-cell packs that are good so far. What a shame. I was told by my hobby store that they are an "excellent" company and make "great" packs. =\
    Regards,
    Brandon

RC Qualifier
    The stock E-Revo does not come with 2 ESCs...
    o haha wow blonde moment, theres 2 battery connectors coming out of the one esc. lol im laughing at myself. But yea ok i hav the stock esc that it comes with. So therefore there is a picture in the faq i can look at to wire. my laptop at home broke so im at school right now, hopefully ill get it back soon to communicate faster and better. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bart2546
    I thought this was just me. I just lost two 4200 7-cell venom packs in my completely stock revo. I just sent them back to Venom last monday so I'm waiting to hear from that. I also have two 5000 7-cell packs that are good so far. What a shame. I was told by my hobby store that they are an "excellent" company and make "great" packs. =\
    My hobby store is a HUGE Hobbytown usa and it blows for stuff for my erevo. They dont carry any good lipos and try telling me all this stuff about what i should use and what not but i just ignore them because i know this f0rum is a lot smarter than there knowledge.