RC Racer

shredded my 2 speed

Just got the 25t pinion for my 2 speed transmission, now for some speed, I thought.
    it was actually running pretty well previously with 21/62 setup, shifting nicely on the fly. but after swapping over, about 10 min in, it just started making this horrible noise, and came to a stop.
    2nd gear is toast, wont go anywhere, and it wont ever shift back into 1st. Haven't taken it apart, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'll find in there.
    My question here is, what am I doing wrong? The tranny is supposed to shift on the fly with the close ratio setup, what is it I'm doing that's killing the gears?
    When I was running, I would start in 1st, get up to speed,flick the switch over to the second position, let off the gas for a second, and then hit it again. the moment off the throttle was all that was needed to allow it to switch over, seemed to be working fine.
    any advice or thoughts would be appreciated, I really don't want to make a habit of rebuilding my bloody tranny every few runs
    e-revo, Dewalt 12v motor, 2 speed conversion, dx3s

RC Racer
    no help on the tranny situation?

RC poster
    I was going to do the 2 speed with mmm erevo but i called traxxas and they said the mmm would shredded 1st. so i did not do it so you could have to much power for the it? 2nd gear has two metal gears now 1st is plastic. i would call traxxas and ask them if the 2 speed conversion is right for you. good luck

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure why that happened, but it is probably your dog gear that got shredded. I do not think it is too much power because you are only running 12-cell nimh. Mine has been fine even with lipo power. I think this happened because the dog gear did not fully engage before you pinned the throttle.

You should probably pull the transmission apart to see exactly what broke. Is your shifting servo working properly? I had trouble setting mine up at first, I found that by turning it around backwards and placing the metal piece in the inner most hole it shifts much faster.

Hope this helps.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My suggestion is, if you really want a 2-speed, switch to the auto-shifting nitro Revo 2-speed transmission...it is stronger and will hold up much better, plus shifts automatically without having to manually do it. You can also adjust how soon or how late it shifts.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    My suggestion is, if you really want a 2-speed, switch to the auto-shifting nitro Revo 2-speed transmission...it is stronger and will hold up much better, plus shifts automatically without having to manually do it. You can also adjust how soon or how late it shifts.
    I like the idea of the auto shift, but it requires a full chassis swap to the nitro since it's not designed to attach to the electric.
    then, from what I've seen, I'd ned a nitro chassis, a new tranny, and one of the conversion kits for nitro to electric. I'm lookin at $200 just to get 2speeds

Hobbyguy:
    so are you saying that the servo arm is facing the outside of the chassis, not facing in? ya, I'm feeling the shift is rather slow, that may be good option for me to look at.
    can you post a pic of what yours looks like?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by taken
    Just got the 25t pinion for my 2 speed transmission, now for some speed, I thought.
    it was actually running pretty well previously with 21/62 setup, shifting nicely on the fly. but after swapping over, about 10 min in, it just started making this horrible noise, and came to a stop.
    2nd gear is toast, wont go anywhere, and it wont ever shift back into 1st. Haven't taken it apart, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'll find in there.
    My question here is, what am I doing wrong? The tranny is supposed to shift on the fly with the close ratio setup, what is it I'm doing that's killing the gears?
    When I was running, I would start in 1st, get up to speed,flick the switch over to the second position, let off the gas for a second, and then hit it again. the moment off the throttle was all that was needed to allow it to switch over, seemed to be working fine.
    any advice or thoughts would be appreciated, I really don't want to make a habit of rebuilding my bloody tranny every few runs
    Do you mean the traxxas 2 speed or the kereshaw over drive gear? Becasue i'm preety sure with the traxxas 2 speed you arent supposed to shift on the fly.

RC Racer
    the traaxxas 2speed with the close ratio gear set is meant for shifting on the fly, the wide ratio isn't. you use the second gear as an overdrive gear.
    The kershaw overdrive gear only gives you a taller second gear ratio, it does nothing for the internals. you need the traxxas 2speed conversion, then you could add the kershaw overdrive pinion. And, as his site also states, it's for shifting on the fly.
    Last edited by taken; 04-18-2009 at 10:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Here is one picture, if you cannot see the difference I can give you a closeup view. It has been nice here and I have really been running my e-revo a lot. I have really got to put my lipos to the test and the difference is incredible. The two-speed seams to be holding up well.

Hope this Helps.

RC Racer
    I can't quite make out how it's setup is different from mine, a close up pic would be great if you could.

How do you find the Red Pushrods working? I need to replace a bend front pushrod, was thinking about upgrading to the reds.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Traxxas Tubes (red pushrods and turnbuckles) are amazing! I have been running them on all of my Revos, T-Maxxes, & Supermaxxes, and they have been great! They can really take some punishment...I bent quite a few titanium ones before switching to Traxxas Tubes, and haven't bent or damaged a single Traxxas Tube on any of the trucks since then! I won't run anything else, and if I can get them in the right lengths, I am going to run them on my other builds like non-Traxxas 1/8 buggies and truggies!

P.S: You can also get them in black, so you don't have to get red.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I agree with Revo on this one. They can really take a punishment, I have ran them for almost two years on my revo and just transferred them over to my E-Revo since they were holding up so well.
    Personally I like red.

Here are some closeups. Note that the shifting rod is positioned in the inner hole and the direction the servo is positioned.

Hope this Helps.

RC Racer
    Think that should do it, thank you. Now as soon my busted foot gets better, I'll get the tranny rebuilt and switch around my servo.
    thanx for the help and the pix.

Glad to here about the black tubes, I like he red, but it doesn't go with the new blue and orange paint job on my slipstream body ;-)

RC Qualifier
    The Traxxas Tubes (red pushrods and turnbuckles) are amazing! I have been running them on all of my Revos, T-Maxxes, & Supermaxxes, and they have been great! They can really take some punishment...I bent quite a few titanium ones before switching to Traxxas Tubes, and haven't bent or damaged a single Traxxas Tube on any of the trucks since then! I won't run anything else, and if I can get them in the right lengths, I am going to run them on my other builds like non-Traxxas 1/8 buggies and truggies!

where can you find the black ones?

I didnt look on the website yet, just saw your post so i thought id ask. Sry for being lazy and not looking before asking.
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I ordered mine from Tower...

RC Racer

I can't find the black aluminum listed anywhere. there's red aluminum, or black steel, no black aluminum anywhere.
    I've checked with my LHS, on tower hobbies, and under the traxxas accessories section for the e-revo, nothing.
    If they exist, can you pls tell me a part number so my hobby shop can order them?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by taken
    I can't find the black aluminum listed anywhere. there's red aluminum, or black steel, no black aluminum anywhere.
    I've checked with my LHS, on tower hobbies, and under the traxxas accessories section for the e-revo, nothing.
    If they exist, can you pls tell me a part number so my hobby shop can order them?
    Traxxas Part #5338A. Here on Tower. I am surprised your LHS doesn't know about them; mine has more black tubes in stock than they do red tubes. Not sure why they aren't listed in E-Revo accessories, especially since the red ones are listed.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought my Maxx black tubes on eBay, but my Revo black tubes on Tower.

RC Racer
    sorry, not clear in that quote. I was initially looking for the pushrods, not the tubes. I can't find the pushrods in black aluminum anywhere.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The pushrods are still called Tubes...

They are Traxxas Tubes Toe-Links and Traxxas Tubes Pushrods.

RC Racer
    ok, gottcha, the pushrod tubes then. the ones linked above are the toe link tubes not the pushrod tubes.
    anyone have a link to he pushrod tubes?