RC Qualifier

Questions about top speeds with lipo's

Ok, it seems as though the vxl3m is rated at 14.4 volts. Does anyone know if it will handle 14.8v that (2) 2s lipos in series would provide? Also, if I were to run a pair of 3s lipo's in parallel, what do yall think the estimated top speed would be? I know I could always gear up, but it would be 3.3 volts less than a set of NiMh in series. Any thoughts?
    Jato 3.3 RPM arms all the way around, Hitec 645 steering servo, road hawg tires on RPM rims, chassis upgrade soon to come, too many parts replaced to mention. Got my eye on a Revo 3.3, hope to get one before too much longer.

RC Racer
    Who knows. How can someone answer a question if the truck is not even out yet. Just wait till it comes out then ask questions. All of the answers that you will get now is just a guess.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It will take 4s !
    with good lipos and geared up you would get possibly 60mph !

RC Champion
    The esc can take 4s, but that puts the motor way into redline territory.. I don't think this will be a "choice" many want to go with. It will not reduce heat, it will not be more effecient than 3s unless these motors are way way above normal standars for RPMs capability. Couple speed passes at 4s, ya maybe, that would most likely be fine out on asphalt.

I just want to note.. I always wondered why traxxas didn't drop the vxl-3 on the market w/ 4s. That would have been the best selling ESC of all time as it would be "monster ready" for large trucks like the revo. People wouldn't have to go get the MMM or mod up the MM to have 4s operation which is pretty ideal and basically the standard for racing anyway.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-16-2009 at 07:11 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What!
    How can anyone say using 4s will put this little 380 in the red?
    It will not.
    And I for one will try my slash on 4s and I'm sure there will be others looking for all outright massive power and speed with there VXLm trucks!
    Traxxas is ok with it, so that says to me it's ok!

The only problem I can see with 4s on a stock setup is the ESC won't have a LVC. Other than that, I'm quite willing to try it once I get mine. If it fries, I'll take the hit and just replace it. The nice part is there are some other motors available that are slightly longer, and slightly lower KV, and they should be good for 4s even if the stock motor isn't.

And from what I understand, Castle is going to be coming out with a new version of the Momba Max ESC that is designed from the start with 6s as the limit. That one may be a bit of a size problem for the mini, but I'm definately getting one to try out on my Bandit VXL setup.