Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: 14.8 volts

  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    76

    14.8 volts

    if we are able to run 14.8 volts in these, these batt's will be top dog

    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6540

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,164
    Man oh man. One of the biggest reasons I stopped with 1/10 scale is because of the cost of upkeep... Including battery packs.
    I never got rid of my mini, and I'm glad Traxxas has one I like now, too.
    ...it's so easy!
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    862
    Yep, I had my eye on that exact battery pack as soon as I heard the new trucks were going to use 2/3A-size batteries. I know Traxxas has only rated the trucks for 3s, but they're allowing 12-cell NiMH. That's only a 3% difference in voltage, and I can't believe 4s wouldn't work beautifully.

    I doubt I'll have enough cash to get one of these for a while, but in a year or so there's a Mini Revo with my name on it.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    4s lipo in one of these little trucks would be SICK!

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    828
    Yeah i know but i think this esc will be like the mamba max! If you get an external bec then you might be able to go 4s!
    Traxxas RC for Life!
    +4/-1 feedback

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    lexington, ky
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Revos
    Yeah i know but i think this esc will be like the mamba max! If you get an external bec then you might be able to go 4s!

    whats a bec?

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spring valley mn
    Posts
    1,135
    All of my Aircraft ESC's that are rated for 12 cell ni are also rated for 4s li. That said I dont see the need for 60+mph with a 1/16 truck. I would also be a bit concerned about the 4000Kv motor on 4s lipo, spinning at ~60k rpm is going to put a serious load on the rotor and bearings. If I was to run a 4s Lipo I would drop to a motor with around 3000Kv.

    bec= Battery eliminator circut, taps into the mian power pack to supply a regulated voltage to the RX/servo's.
    My tranny case is stock :D

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    76
    where can you get these "bec's" that would be awesome id much rather run what the truck is rated for...

    and im going to have my truck gear down some so its good for all around bashing and racing top out at maby 40-45?

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spring valley mn
    Posts
    1,135
    Hobby city
    Dimension engineering
    Firmtronics
    cool flight systems

    I'm thinking I want about 30-35mph with mine, but I guess it depends on how well it handles.
    My tranny case is stock :D

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    76
    thanks

    and yeah even thos speeds would be fast with such a small truck, and im hoping it handels well considering its based of the revo, and maby we will have sway bars for it soon

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spring valley mn
    Posts
    1,135
    Ya a 3905 E-maxx is fast in the mid 40's, we'll see.
    My tranny case is stock :D

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw 46
    Hobby city
    Dimension engineering
    Firmtronics
    cool flight systems

    I'm thinking I want about 30-35mph with mine, but I guess it depends on how well it handles.

    but you would need to bec's?

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spring valley mn
    Posts
    1,135
    Huh? Why would you need more than one?
    My tranny case is stock :D

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    You don't ......

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    lexington, ky
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw 46
    All of my Aircraft ESC's that are rated for 12 cell ni are also rated for 4s li. That said I dont see the need for 60+mph with a 1/16 truck. I would also be a bit concerned about the 4000Kv motor on 4s lipo, spinning at ~60k rpm is going to put a serious load on the rotor and bearings. If I was to run a 4s Lipo I would drop to a motor with around 3000Kv.

    bec= Battery eliminator circut, taps into the mian power pack to supply a regulated voltage to the RX/servo's.

    any links to this so called bec?

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,164
    "So called bec?" Hahah. It's not a myth... and they're certainly not fictional.

    And of course Castle Creations has the solution.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spring valley mn
    Posts
    1,135
    Dhoo how could I forget about CCBEC, LOL.
    My tranny case is stock :D

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    "So called bec?" Hahah. It's not a myth... and they're certainly not fictional.

    And of course Castle Creations has the solution.

    thats only got a 9v output meaning you wouldent be taking idvantige of the 4's so you might as well run 3's at 11.1v

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    lexington, ky
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by corracing
    thats only got a 9v output meaning you wouldent be taking idvantige of the 4's so you might as well run 3's at 11.1v

    yea thats what i was just thinking. any input guys? educate me

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Read what the link says and then you will understand what a BEC is and what it is for...

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,164
    Exactly.

    Where do you think the 9V comes from?
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

  22. #22
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    16
    There's another simple solution I use in my RC boats to bypass the main battery.

    I use a 9 volt battery with a pigtail from Radio Shack and solder a reciever plug on it. It's small so you can fit it anywhere and lasts quite a while.

    Of course I don't know how much space is under the body yet. But it could be an option.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw 46
    Hobby city
    Dimension engineering
    Firmtronics
    cool flight systems

    I'm thinking I want about 30-35mph with mine, but I guess it depends on how well it handles.
    Good point. Around 30 at this scale you're on the edge of control if you are on a track. I would imagine most lhs's will use their standard tracks. So you may be able to take it up alittle. I think 50mph is over kill at this scale unless you just want to do speed runs. Maybe indoor carpet would work with higher speeds. It will be interesting to see what happens with these. The stock racing cost is around the same as the 1/10 Slash. If these catch on smaller hobby shops could have a shot at club racing. I don't recall if the RC18's did much as far as club racing goes.

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    4s lipo in one of these little trucks would be SICK!
    Try 5s lipo, I am. as for the combo with the 5s, you'll have to wait. Ain't no one copying this setup

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    somewhere in Mo
    Posts
    4,809
    4s lipo:14.8v
    12-cell nihm: 14.4v

    Traxxas will probably poo-poo the idea, but it should be fine with a fan or something.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by VXL Beast
    4s lipo:14.8v
    12-cell nihm: 14.4v

    Traxxas will probably poo-poo the idea, but it should be fine with a fan or something.
    I believe its a watts thing, the esc will only handle olny so many watts (volts x amps = watts) besides they probably used the same programming as the VXL so 3s is the highest cut-off there

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •