Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Ok guys. lets get serious about making a new engine set up.
    the guy at my local hobby store said that in order to run 2 1/16 scale vxl motors we will have to run 2 speed controlers and y off the input that go onto the recever. so they both get signal at the same time. We need to save weight as much as we can. This truck is for jumping and racing not truck pulling. I really think a MMM set up would be good but it would wieght so much. The next set-up that comes to mind is the 10th scale vxl kit (dual motors) now that would be the set up!

we have 4" of play on each side of the trans. what can we fit in there?

Edited for language.

i just checked the castles website and the motor is 68mm(2650kv) and 75mm (2200kv) long. thats less then 3". We could fit that couldnt we?

1/8 scale set-up

the speed controler is 2.2" x 1.9" x 1.4" so that would fit.
    The Neu-Castle 2650kv Motor (the smaleer of the two)
    Max Input Volts: 16.8
    Amp Rating*: 120
    Weight: 370g (13.1 oz)
    Motor Diameter: 39.98mm (1.574016 inches)
    41.78mm with fins
    Motor Length: 68mm (2.677165 inches)

guys we could almost do dual MMM kits and run 1 4s lipo to each set-up. It would wieght like 3 pounds though.

1/10 scale set up
    2 http://b-p-p.com/product.php?product...&cat=48&page=1

Size ESC overall:
    1.9 x 1.3 x 1.2"
    Motor:
    1.4" dia. x 1.7"

Weight
    (w/wires) ESC:
    2.5 oz (70.9 g)
    Motor
    7.0 oz (198.4g)
    Cells 6-12 NiCad/NiMH
    2-3s LiPo
    Continuous 100 amps

we could run 2 3s lipos (one for each) and this set up would weight 425.2 grams (14.99 oz or .9374LBS) less then the dual monster set up.

this could be cheap though.
    http://b-p-p.com/product.php?productid=159&cat=0&page=1
    I have a mini t with a mamba 8000kv and on a 3s it does 55+. dual mamba 8000kv would be crazy. If you pull in the gas all the way to flips over from a roll. I just really like the water proof thing though. is the 10th scale vxl water proof?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-15-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: merge

Duel = fight
    Dual = two

Could have dual dueling motors, I guess. . .

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    Duel = fight
    Dual = two

Could have dual dueling motors, I guess. . .

haha sorry I can't spell worth a crap. Any input on this topic?

happy now?

The truck only wieghts 2.1875 LBS. I dont think adding 1.5 Pounds in motors is a good idea for jumping. I think the dual 10th scale is gonna be money.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-15-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: merge

I'm just thinking that the little thing will go 50m.p.h. out of the box. I haven't seen the specs on the motor, but the ESC has a higher voltage rating with Nimh than Lipo batteries. (My guess as to why is that the motor is really close to flying apart just from high R.P.M. The higher amperage available from Lipo would just push it past the edge.)

I think that a single 1/10th size VXL setup would be able to make this thing go like stink if it will fit. Going bigger, with a lower KV motor, and gearing higher to take advantage of the higher torque will probably be the best way to go.

The main purpose of a dual setup was to get brushless power in the E-Maxx, before the MMM combo came out. I tried it, and it works, but a good single ESC & motor setup is really better.

RC Champion
    i dont see why not an mmm 2200 combo would fit wit a costom motor mount

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh7owens
    this could be cheap though.
    http://b-p-p.com/product.php?productid=159&cat=0&page=1
    I have a mini t with a mamba 8000kv and on a 3s it does 55+. dual mamba 8000kv would be crazy. If you pull in the gas all the way to flips over from a roll. I just really like the water proof thing though. is the 10th scale vxl water proof?

That's kinda funny, 55mph with the mamba 8000kv...
    Mini Erevo does 50mph + and back flips! STOCK!

It isn't just the motor and ESC. The batteries have to fit, too. The MMM/Neu motor combo is a hungry beast. I'm looking into batteries now, but I'm not sure if there are any that are made that have enough power to put out over 100 amps, even if you limit voltage to 3s.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It isn't just the motor and ESC. The batteries have to fit, too. The MMM/Neu motor combo is a hungry beast. I'm looking into batteries now, but I'm not sure if there are any that are made that have enough power to put out over 100 amps, even if you limit voltage to 3s.

Duhh, that's a great pointe!

RC Racer

you would want to run a 4s or 5s. a 3s wouldnt be enough juice

Actually, that isn't true as far as the MMM/Neu. The 2650 Kv motor is rated at 4s maximum, so 3s isn't that bad, and I've run the 2200 Kv motor on 3s in my E-Maxx. It wasn't blazing fast like that, but the torque was still nuts. The ESC is fine down to 2s. (I only ran 3s because the cruddy Maxamps batteries couldn't handle being connected in series, and I wanted to make it at least do SOMETHING.)

RC Racer
    your right sorry. the 2200 kv is rated at 6 max. Is there any 4s battarys that will fit?

RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.
    lets try out a Great Planes 28-56-3200. it's a small-ish airplane motor, but it's small enough diameter that it should fit the stock motor mount. oh, and the wattage output is simply insane (it will shame anything Novak makes except the HV-MAXX series), and it's rated up to 14.8 volts. and it only weighs 5.9 ounces, so it's lighter than a 540 can motor (which is probably too large diameter to fit anyway)
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Champion
    a 4s setup wouldn't yeild crap for run times.. due to pack sizes, the best balance btw voltage and mAH with reasonable size packs is a parallel set of 3s lipo's 1600-2000mah.. (3200 to 4000mAH) the most anyone would want on this little beast is a standard velineon, think about it you can take a Rusty to 70+mph on 3s lipo with these little trucks you could do more if you could manage to keep it stable. On a race track though you won't more than 40mph and that's pushing it.. bashing same thing about 40mph max top.

RC Champion
    all your guys jibberish is exactly what im going to do.

stop talking and start doing (when they come out of corse).
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't get it!
    So many are complaining about the prices of these little gems and yet others are going to spend another $200, $300 or more to make it 10 or 20mph faster... ahhhh

RC Qualifier
    This upgrade would be impossible! First the single MMM would weight much more then 2 vxlm systems! And the drivetrain wouldn't hold up at all. The e-revo brushless edition barely holds up so no! Second there would be no where to put a battery that would be big enough to power it. If you get 2 1600 3s packs you'll get around 3-5 minutes runtime MAX! and also all the truck would do is flip on its lid NON-STOP! and last but not least i dont think that motor would even fit!
    Traxxas RC for Life!
    +4/-1 feedback

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Revos
    This upgrade would be impossible! First the single MMM would weight much more then 2 vxlm systems! And the drivetrain wouldn't hold up at all. The e-revo brushless edition barely holds up so no! Second there would be no where to put a battery that would be big enough to power it. If you get 2 1600 3s packs you'll get around 3-5 minutes runtime MAX! and also all the truck would do is flip on its lid NON-STOP! and last but not least i dont think that motor would even fit!

wieght could be a problem but it will fit. we just have to find battarys to make it work. if we did a single MMM set up is there any battarys that will draw enough amperage to run it? maybe 2 2s's or 2 3s's in seres?

maybe..
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6540

or
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=6330
    Last edited by josh7owens; 04-14-2009 at 12:41 PM.

RC Champion
    With out knowing more about the stock motor it is impossible to plan an upgrade path. All we know about the motor is it's 28mm diameter and 4000Kv. Once we know the length of the motor we'll be able to configure any performance one may want. Looking at the gallery pics the motor is as long as the ESC which is 46.5mm. Now we at least have a starting point.

I dont see any advantage to a 36mm motor in this truck. My heavy alloy NMT flies with a Hacker C40-8L(28mm) with about 800watts. Certainly more than enough power for a 1/16 scale!
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My bet is, the stock mini VXL will have way more power than what most people can handle on two Nimh packs!

RC Competitor
    you guys are crazzy!

i cant even imagin that much power!

personly i think im going to be happy stock(:

RC Champion
    ^^I agree^^
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep me to!

RC Racer
    not me its gonna be a dual 18th set up, a dual 10th set up of a single MMM hahahha

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^Thats just simplee??^^^^^
    Traxxas RC for Life!
    +4/-1 feedback

A bit more of a reasonable upgrade to the motor may be one of these motors -> http://www.*********.com/*********/s...hless_Inrunner

or -> http://www.*********.com/*********/s...hless_Inrunner

The fit and size is just a bit longer, the amperage requirements look like the stock ESC can handle them, and the Kv rateings are similar (check my numbers before you order!) The R.P.M. on both of them will be lower than the stock motor (I found it! Stock motor is 4000Kv.) They should have MUCH more torque, so to make up for lower R.P.M. just gear up for a higher speed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A great (reasonable) setup would be one of the 1/18 scale lehners and dual 3s lipos in parallel. Now that would be crazy awesome.
    An injured friend is the bitterest of foes

RC Champion
    all i have to say i you guy are a bunch of crazies if you plan to run a monster max or two 1/10 vxl in one of these little thing

with that you should be easily getting to 100mph considering that people are getting to 90 with a mamba monster max in a rustler and 70 with single 1/10 scale vxl
    if you can control it, it is too slow

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dblom11
    all i have to say i you guy are a bunch of crazies if you plan to run a monster max or two 1/10 vxl in one of these little thing

with that you should be easily getting to 100mph considering that people are getting to 90 with a mamba monster max in a rustler and 70 with single 1/10 scale vxl

Im not going for top speed. Im going for fast 0-45mph times. for the track

Quote Originally Posted by VXL Beast
    A great (reasonable) setup would be one of the 1/18 scale lehners and dual 3s lipos in parallel. Now that would be crazy awesome.

link please...

Idk if i'll do the MMM set up becuase of the wieght issue. Although I will either do a dual 18th scale or 10th scale.

the 10th scale could work easly and would be crazy power!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-15-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: merge

I don't think you understand the power of a mmm/2200kv combo. It will tear the heck out of a mini.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    That is way too much power for the track, if you are serious about running at the track stay with stock, get those ***** 3s 1600 lipo's run in parallel and gear for 40mph. Get a set of buggy race tires (proline etc) or some crt .5 tires and go race... anything bigger will result in massive spin outs and nothing but HUGE issues as well as decreased run times. This thread is too funny..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    That is way too much power for the track, if you are serious about running at the track stay with stock, get those ***** 3s 1600 lipo's run in parallel and gear for 40mph. Get a set of buggy race tires (proline etc) or some crt .5 tires and go race... anything bigger will result in massive spin outs and nothing but HUGE issues as well as decreased run times. This thread is too funny..
    link o theses tires and wheels?

also i agrees the MMM will be to much but i think a 10th scale would work fine or a dual 18th scale

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Stock on the track will be more than what most can handle!

RC Racer
    Im not going for top speed. Im going for fast 0-45mph times. for the track
    Then stick with lighter is better, you can accelerate better with less weight than with greater weight. There are a lot of options for running with smaller setups, Neu, medusa and the motors at BPP will be better and less stress on the drivetrain than either dual VXl's or a MMM setup. If you do the mmm after all, please do a vid, I want to see the fool who's money will soon be departed for repairs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't see how 1/10 or 1/8 scale motors are going to fit in these 1/16 scale trucks...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    I don't see how 1/10 or 1/8 scale motors are going to fit in these 1/16 scale trucks...

I do not think they will...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    I do not think they will...

they will. the chassis is long enough to fit both in there.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    they will. the chassis is long enough to fit both in there.

I don't think it will, the can will hit the shocks..

RC Qualifier
    uh, I thought that you could help me figure that out.
    motor length isn't the issue here. motor diameter is. if the motor is too big around, it won't fit. plain and simple. plus, a big brushless setup is going to require bigger batteries than will fit the chassis
    GOT MY SLASH AND BEATING THE LIVING POO OUT OF IT!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    I don't think it will, the can will hit the shocks..
    lenth isn't the issue its the dia. of the can that we have to worry about. i prolly wont do it. I'll most likely do a10th scale set up or dual 16th. I really want to keep it water proof if i can without lossing to much power

would two 16th scales motors have as much or more power then one 10th?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    lenth isn't the issue its the dia. of the can that we have to worry about. i prolly wont do it. I'll most likely do a10th scale set up or dual 16th. I really want to keep it water proof if i can without lossing to much power

would two 16th scales motors have as much or more power then one 10th?

Like I said and many others it won't fit...

The end of the can will hit the rear shock mount...
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ad_chassis.jpg
    Last edited by filmmaker; 04-15-2009 at 11:52 PM.