Thread: A-arms?

RC Qualifier

Question A-arms?

Well I snapped a-arm and was wondering if I should replace it with plastic or aluminum?Which will last longer and what are the prices?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    One is better than the other. I forgot why though, one is either tougher than the other or lighter than the other or both. Someone will have to clarify though which one is best. Plastic a arms arent to expensive i dont think specially im sure theres some good tough ones.
    E-revo for sale. PM me for more info.

RC Qualifier
    Well aluminum snaps too but it would probably hold up longer?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    Plastic is nice because it bends and flexes and then returns to where it was. It is also lighter.

Aluminum is heavier but stronger (if you get a good set). If they bend, however, they lose strength as you bend them back. Also, they will stress the parts around them more causing different things to break.

Most people recommend RPM or the stock arms.
    Summit, CEN MG10-TR, Losi Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    So whats everyone's overall opinion?Which is better?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Buy RPM arms and be done with it.

Aluminum is for looks, because no one makes an advanced aluminum Revo a-arm that works any better than the stock or RPM ones, so all you are doing is adding weight with no other benefit (except "bling"). Aluminum may be physically stronger than plastic, but in the end it just isn't as durable...this is because aluminum will bend, which is bad, because when you try to straighten it out, it usually snaps or becomes extremely weak when you try to bend it back to normal. Aluminum arms will also transfer the impact forces to other components on the truck and breaks them, usually the bulkheads...and not only is replacing bulks a pain, but they are more expensive than arms as well. And let's not forget the weight...added weight is bad, any way you look at it. Aluminum is not a good choice for Revo a-arms, not at all.

Plastic a-arms are flexible and able to absorb impacts, and not transfer the forces to other parts of the truck, which means nothing gets broken. If a plastic arm bends, it just flexes and then returns to normal...if it breaks, it is cheap to replace and easy to replace as well. And of course, it is much lighter than aluminum, which is a very good thing.

Stock Traxxas arms are fine, and most people will never break them.

RPM arms are the best a-arms you can buy for a Revo, period. They are made from a special plastic/nylon that is almost unbreakable, and even if you do break it, it is covered by RPM's warranty that will replace it absolutely free, no matter how you broke it. I suggest you buy RPMs.
    Last edited by Revoš; 04-23-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Buy RPM arms and be done with it.
    Yup what he said.
    I have them on all for corners,never broke one & I beat the snot out of my truck.

I have the tru trac on the rear.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention the RPM True-Track rear suspension setup...

If you don't have to have the extended wheelbase setup (Traxxas and Tekno both offer extended-wheelbase rear arms), the RPM True-Track rear suspension is one of the best things you can do to your truck. Add in RPM front arms and you have the perfect suspension!

RC Racer
    here's what i was told...

buy aluminum stuff as you brake it, cause it's stronger (if you want aluminum)

EXCEPT for a-arms

buy RPM a-arms because they're extremely durable AND if you DO hit something you have a piece that will break instead of bending your more expensive and nicer looking aluminum
    runs/parts broken ratio: 8/6

RC Competitor
    I dont see the need for aluminum,its heavier,less forgiving,& cost too much.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do to its design, there is really nothing on a Revo (especially E-Revo) that needs to be aluminum...unlike the Maxx series of trucks, which benefit from a few aluminum parts down the center, like the bulkheads and shock towers. Now, if someone ever makes aluminum bulkheads for the Revo, those will be great!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK_
    I dont see the need for aluminum,its heavier,less forgiving,& cost too much.
    it looks pretty and in my opinion awesome
    runs/parts broken ratio: 8/6

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PogopunkXIII
    it looks pretty and in my opinion awesome
    Well it sure does look good,thats is true

RC Champion
    RPM is great for bashing.. take a beating and keep coming back for more...
    Stockers are much better though for racing as the flex on the rpm makes for less control

I actually just started using some RdLogics front alum a-arms, not for bling.. but because I'm tired of the carriers pulling and backing out. We'll see how it does racing this year, but early practice has suggested there will be no issues.

*for the rear, RPM true tracks are a manditory item for every revo iMO.

RC Qualifier
    How much are the blue rpm's for top and bottom together?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Champion
    What benefit do the true track rpm rears give you exactly?

RC Racer
    With the regular type rear a-arms ...as the suspention moves up or down the "toe" (angle of the wheels changes[front to rear of the truck], called bump steer). With the true track arms you don't use the stock tie rods so it stays the same through out the entire travel of the a-arms.
    Last edited by 1truckerdan; 04-24-2009 at 04:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I broke 2 front left lower arms before. The first time I replaced it with a new stocker. Second time I went RPM and quite frankly I don't see myself ever breaking another one. Got a deal on 'em too! $24 for full set of fronts, plus a parts tray and a huge RPM sticker sheet, from RCX. These things are nothing short of BEEFY. They're thick, have better placed cross bars for support, and weigh about the same as stock. For sure go RPM. I love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    RPM is great for bashing.. take a beating and keep coming back for more...
    Stockers are much better though for racing as the flex on the rpm makes for less control

I actually just started using some RdLogics front alum a-arms, not for bling.. but because I'm tired of the carriers pulling and backing out. We'll see how it does racing this year, but early practice has suggested there will be no issues.

*for the rear, RPM true tracks are a manditory item for every revo iMO.
    I don't race but honestly, isn't this getting a little nit picky? I seriously don't even think that's noticeable.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The True-Track locks your rear toe-in at 1.5ē per side (3ē total), so you never have to worry about setting it and getting both sides the same. 1.5ē per side is about perfect for 99% of the people running Revos, so that is good.

ANd like truckerdan said, it eliminated the toe change through suspension travel, which is also a very good thing.

RC Qualifier
    How much is a full set of blue rpm's please tell going too buy some tommorrow!
    Last edited by E-REVOdreamer; 04-25-2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    even if you do break it, it is covered by RPM's warranty that will replace it absolutely free, no matter how you broke it. I suggest you buy RPMs.
    wrong. its not nice to give out false informaion. you send the part into rpm and at their discreation. they decide weather or not to replace it. the lifetime warrenty they offer only cover and defects in the product its self. not if you run head on into a tree or something. then its honestly not their problem buts yours. and i can't blame them for having that policy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They have replaced 6 or 8 parts (a-arms, shock towers, bulkhead brace) for me, some of them being my fault for jumping onto and off of house roofs and such, with no problems what-so-ever...I just contacted them, sent the parts in, and received new parts...easy as that.

But you go ahead and call me wrong all you want, I don't mind.

RC Qualifier
    Total price for all blue rpm's???
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-REVOdreamer
    Total price for all blue rpm's???
    Tower has them for ~$71 plus shipping for a set.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...+arm&search=Go

AMain has them a little cheaper, but the blue true-tracks are out of stock at the moment.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...vo+arm&x=0&y=0
    E-Revo MMM 2200 "The Missile"
    VXL FLM Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Thanks,,,,,,,,,.,.,.,.,
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetracero1
    wrong. its not nice to give out false informaion. you send the part into rpm and at their discreation. they decide weather or not to replace it. the lifetime warrenty they offer only cover and defects in the product its self. not if you run head on into a tree or something. then its honestly not their problem buts yours. and i can't blame them for having that policy
    Their warranty covers ALL breakage under normal operating conditions.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"