Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

Closed on my new house today! Pics of future RC laboratory!!

Well, the day has finally come. Been working on this whole relocation and move thing since February. We are glad to be moving our stuff out of storage and into the new place. Only the essentials for right now, so we don't have to shift a whole bunch of stuff around to paint. The place was built in 1928 and the previous owners had been there since 1959. They are heading to a retirement community and were so nice. He even came over to show me various things around the place and how to use the gas fireplace and such. The place is in great shape, but needs some serious painting! Their taste is a bit different from ours to say the least. It has a finished attic that my wife is going to use for storage and part for a office/sewing room. The basement is a bit dingy, but some drylok and a good cleaning will take care of that. It has three bedrooms and a garage, so the basement is all mine. Can't wait to get at my RC and woodworking stuff and get my subterranean oasis complete! We got measured for a metal roof today and got all new appliances, too. Enough rambling; just so excited to have this day finally here! Some pics.....

A fireplace in my den. Antlers and mounted fish will be above that.

Hardwood floors everywhere.

Crazy Colors everywhere!

Even the poor staircase got a coat of mint green!

One thing I've always wanted in my basement workshop; a wash sink.

My own personal lavatory in the basement as well!

Some of this will stay and some will go. The exhaust fan and the cabinets will be staying.

Another separate room in the basement; looks like storage for RC vehicles to me!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    That is my DREAM to have a basement like that... then fill it with RCs!

nice, love the crazy colors man. congradulations and make sure not to skimp on filling up that rc space
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Oh man i'd love to have that RC space!!! Now time to turn it into a full fledged man cave. Some grays & blacks or something like that. A big screen and The Chair would be totally awesome. Call the signifiacant other when its time to chow. LOL

I'm jealous as my RC space is in a huge attic. Luckily the way my house is built its only a few degrees warmer than the inside of the rest of the house.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Looking nice, some stuff looks like it could use updating, but that space is awesome!!!!

RC Champion
    Yes with a little work you'll have a nice abode
    I'm really liking the sink too, and you can't beat a facility (toilet) nearby
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Yes with a little work you'll have a nice abode
    I'm really liking the sink too, and you can't beat a facility (toilet) nearby
    Lol.

Looks sweet! We definately need to see some pics when its done with paint...

Hopefully it isn't haunted
    Nothing like having a crapper near by!
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Qualifier
    Now all you have to do is finish the basement up, and make it R/C heaven! Post up pics as you go along.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Had the day off today, so we got a lot done. My wife got the laundry room painted up to her liking and I got the washer and dryer installed. Not without some drama, however! The previous owner had stuffed a rolled up towel in the vent tube, so I got the dryer close and pulled out the towel to hook up the flex tubing. When I got the towel in the laundry room, it had a bees nest on it and was crawling with yellow jackets!! Apparently, they were caught off guard and just fell on the floor and crawled around. Some quick stomping put an end to the danger, so I swept them up and secured them in a bag. Got it hooked up; then the washer. Everything went smooth after my brush with the bees. Then my wife wanted a new faucet installed. Well, apparently the one we purchased had been returned and it had the wrong directions in it and there was a mounting piece missing. Off to Lowe's she went for the second time today. She got the new one and in it went, with no problem. Also, I wanted to address the fact that the basement has a coal door and it was never properly sealed up. I could see light all the way around. Looked like it had been last caulked about thirty years ago. Scrapped all that off and applied a thick coat of sealant after securing the door tightly. I still plan to fill the inside with insulation and put a piece of plywood over the inside opening and drilling screws into the wall. While I was doing all that she and her Mom were going to steam clean the master bedroom carpet. No luck there. Carpet had to go. Luckily, when we pulled it up, the hardwood floor was just as nice as the rest. An area rug under the bed and some corner round on the edges and it'll be good to go. After we get rid of the baby blue paint scheme, that is! Just wished we would have planned that and we would have painted the room BEFORE tearing the carpet out! No biggie; it's a marathon, not a sprint. The only thing I got to do in my basement was go over EVERY inch, floor to rafters with my shop vac. I think I killed about a thousand spiders and mowed down five pounds of cobwebs. I'm not kidding; the little space behind the furnace looked like a scene from Indiana Jones in a lost tomb. I just got tired of seeing the spiders run for cover every time I moved anything. Can't wait to get the upstairs done so I can focus on the important stuff, such as shoplight placement, workbench arrangement, pegboard layouts, and Rc storage. Unfortunately, that will take a backseat to the rest of the house and waterproofing & painting the basement first. All in due time.....a few pics now.

Kinda neat I think. I may just paint it black. No need for coal deliveries anymore. Went out with the milkmen....

Our helper on the move...

Carpet's almost done! What next?

Once all the foam padding and staples were gone, it didn't loo to bad.

Found this newspaper from 1966 in the attic.

All tuckered out......

RC Champion
    Nice! That door is pretty neat. Reminds me of my house. It has a trapped door in the fireplace so that you can sweep the ashes into the basement. Not sure why you would do that because you would just have to take it out of the basement instead of the fireplace? That's what makes old houses neat. How old is the house?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Nice! That door is pretty neat. Reminds me of my house. It has a trapped door in the fireplace so that you can sweep the ashes into the basement. Not sure why you would do that because you would just have to take it out of the basement instead of the fireplace? That's what makes old houses neat. How old is the house?
    It was built in 1928 and the previous owners had been in there since 1959. Lots of updates, though. It has two new breaker boxes and we had an electrician put in GFCI outlets and overhead lights. The water heater is only four years old some outlets were added to the basement.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlersvxl4life View Post
    That is a perfect rc basement
    It will be by the time I'm done with it! It's going to take some time. There are multiple coats of paint on the walls that are flaking off. Some of it came off with my shop vac taking down cobwebs. Paint scraping and wterproofing will be the first order of business after I haul a bunch of old wooden shelves and stuff out of there. I'm also going to install more four foot tube lights. I got seven of them from a store that was closing and I also got a ton of metal shelving to go in there. Gonna be good.....stay tuned. Hafta work in a little bit so no work on the house (by me) today. My wife is going to paint the master bedroom today.

RC Qualifier
    o man i'd love to see the finished basement product with it filled with r/c!
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Qualifier
    Maxxmasher? Where u located. Just seen the iron plate with "indiana" in it
    I dream of big block power...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnhisrevo View Post
    Maxxmasher? Where u located. Just seen the iron plate with "indiana" in it
    Sorry, I'm a bit far away. Indiana, PA would be the locale.

Got some good news today. While I was at work the guy (a friend of the family) who is going to be painting our house stopped by today and said he had the time to immediately start painting the outside of our house. We're going to paint the first floor and he's going to do the rest. We were figuring on maybe putting that off until spring. It's also going to cost about half of what someone would normally charge. He does siding and painting to make a few bucks since he's retired. Does good work, too.
    Got a little bad news today, too. We had a major downpour for awhile today, and although it didn't rain to long, I found some water in the basement. One spot where the floor was covered with a pretty thick skim coat would squeeze water from underneath it when I stepped along the edge. I plan on really immersing myself in proper waterproofing techniques, so hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. Mostly it was all in one area, so at least I can attack that spot in particular.
    My wife got the ceiling and the closet done in the master bedroom and I got all the cracks and gaps filled in, so hopefully we can get that room done tomorrow. I don't work until 6pm, so we should get a lot done. As always, more pics!!

RC Champion
    Whoops, wrote that whole post and then realized I was using my browser, instead of Tapatalk, so here are those pics.

Nothing says home like a set of saloon doors leading into the kitchen. Yes, they are going to be removed...

Anyone know what the heck this is for? In the basement wall. Maybe the ash dump described earlier?

Nice workbench, huh?

Too bad the inside looks like this. No problem; I'll rip it out and put in a workbench I have disassembled in my storage locker.

Some water leakage....

You don't see this in new construction; actual painted logs are the foundation for the landing for the side door! Seems super sturdy.

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 07-16-2012 at 12:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    put a twisty slide from attic to basement, it would be really fun in a three story house, we have a twisty slide in a two story house and its a blast!

RC Champion
    I don't think any twisty slides are in the works. If I have a functional RC workshop by winter, I'll be happy. My wife is pleased to almost have the Master bedroom done. It may be done. I had to work from 6pm - 2am, so I just got home and she's fast asleep. We got the walls painted and she and her mom were going to put in the ceiling fan or paint the trim or stay in her aunt's pool for the evening. I'll know tomorrow what got done. Doesn't matter to me; it'll all get done eventually.
    My painter will be there at 8am to start setting up his scaffolding to paint the outside which is cool. I didn't think it would get done so soon. It kind of puts our inside plans on hold as we're going to paint the first floor and the porch as he does the upper sections of the exterior. I also got the dryer vent completely finished as I won the war against the yellowjackets that had been pestering me since destroying their home. I started project garage cleanup this morning while I was waiting on wifey to finish her workout this morning. Again, I think I must have sucked up another thousand spiders and pounds of webbing. Wanna clean out every crevice before applying sealant around all the windows and the side door. There must be a terrifying spider battle being waged inside of my shop vac. Gonna be creaky to empty that thing. Enough jibber jabber, fools! Today's pics.....

Goodbye, baby blue hello, pecan tan....looks nice with floors.

Some minor imperfections abound. Whataya expect? It almost a hundred years old....

Tiny closets in all these older homes. At least we have three bedrooms to put stuff in. We have vaguely discussed turning one of the rooms into an entire dressing room/walk-in-closet....that would be a project after everything else is done.

This will not be staying. I'm going to cover the wallpaper with bead board to act as our headboard and put a custom shelf at the top. They had a king bed in there and we never got around to getting a headboard for ours, so it kinda works out.

She painted a bit just to see what it will look like with our color combo on the exterior.

An idea of the difference! Everything that is light salmon will be gray, the dark salmon will be black and the white will get a fresh coat. Man, these people were not afraid of colors!!!

RC Champion
    Looking sharp.
    The pecan color looks sweet with the floors.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Champion
    Got a good start on the outside painting today. I got down there around 9am, and we got right to work. My man Jay works pretty fast! He got the second and third story done on the back of the house. My wife and I painted the bottom portion around almost all of three sides, too. We are going to do the entire porch and the garage while he handles the rest. Only about ten hours of painting in 93 degrees for me today! My wife knocked off a bit early to hit the pool since all that was left was trim work on the ladder. Looking pretty good so far....

Getting there.....

From this angle, it looks like a new house.

Closeup of the back

My garage looking like an exterior paint supply shop. There are two RC's in there if you can spot them. Sorry been using my Ipod for all these pics. WHO KNOWS where my real camera is? Still in storage somewhere. Amazing what you don't miss if you know it's not readily available. Pretty much all I've needed is junky clothes, bathroom travel kit, and tools......lots of tools.

RC Champion
    Awesome! Love the colors... very manly! Surprised the wife agreed to such manly colors.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Got a good start on the outside painting today. I got down there around 9am, and we got right to work. My man Jay works pretty fast! He got the second and third story done on the back of the house. My wife and I painted the bottom portion around almost all of three sides, too. We are going to do the entire porch and the garage while he handles the rest. Only about ten hours of painting in 93 degrees for me today! My wife knocked off a bit early to hit the pool since all that was left was trim work on the ladder. Looking pretty good so far....

Getting there.....

From this angle, it looks like a new house.

Closeup of the back

My garage looking like an exterior paint supply shop. There are two RC's in there if you can spot them. Sorry been using my Ipod for all these pics. WHO KNOWS where my real camera is? Still in storage somewhere. Amazing what you don't miss if you know it's not readily available. Pretty much all I've needed is junky clothes, bathroom travel kit, and tools......lots of tools.

I can't see the rc's....

edit: wait! I see some kind of rc with a black hummer body on the shelf in the right side!
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Naw, when I wrote the post, I didn't know how good the picture would be when I posted it. The long range and light collecting ability is a bit to be desired with the Ipod. There's an Axial Wraith almost next to the ladder that is standing up in the back. The one you did see is an Axial SCX-10 with an F250 body.
    Didn't get much done today. My wife got up early and painted a good bit. She had to knock off early because rain was due to arrive this evening. I had to work at noon, so I just did some caulking and got a fan ready to mount.

RC Champion
    I had a scx10 with a ford 250 body too
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Racer
    Wonder if the basement at one time, had a heating oil system? Anyhow, Nice R/C - mancave!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by YFZBOB View Post
    Wonder if the basement at one time, had a heating oil system? Anyhow, Nice R/C - mancave!
    I dunno, we seem to find little quirks almost every day. One weird one is that you have to go through the full bathroom upstairs and you open what you would think would be a closet, and it's the steps leading to the third floor. The third floor will primarily be storage, but it'll be strange carrying everything through the bathroom to get up there.

We got a fair amount of outside painting done today, but approaching rain put an early end to the day. I was supposed to be off work, but someone didn't show, so I took the hours. Just got home. Everything on the second story is done on two sides, and everything up to about ten feet off the ground is done except the front porch. The entire porch has to be painted and we have to rip up outdoor carpet on the floor of it to see what's underneath. It feels mostly solid, but you never know for sure until you look at it. Supposed to have scattered thunderstorms tomorrow, so we'll have to check to see what we're going to do. Plenty to do inside! Just need to do some trim painting and put up a ceiling fan, and we can put some furniture in the master bedroom. I also wanna make a headboard using the trim on the wall and white painted beadboard. I'll also be making a custom shelf to put stuff on along the top of that. Not necessary, but if it rains all day, I might do that as well.

My RC workshop looks like a distant dream with so much to do. Usually (if I'm not at work) at the end of the day and my wife is ready to quit and my list is done, I go down in the basement and try to do some cleaning and take some measurements. I know how big all my shelving and workbenches are, so I may even get some graph paper and really start laying out plans. I know I'm gonna get rid of his workbench, because it is all rotten from being against the wall for so many years. The upper cabinets are fine, just need some fresh paint inside and out. I might paint them red (with Traxxas stickers) because all the walls will be white. I'm going to paint the floor gray and maybe some crazy color for my workout room. The lavatory has wood paneling on the walls and enough room to put my Nautilus Smith machine and stationary bike in there. This is a ton of work, but is so fun. Our first house was brand new when we bought it, so there wasn't as much to do. I'm liking this so much more. Stay tuned.....

RC Champion
    Man, am I beat! No, I'm not up early, I'm still awake. Just got back from our project house. We kinda got a late start today and headed over to our house. It was raining when we got up, so no outside work today. We just had a little bit to do in the master bedroom to finish it up. Trim painting and touching up mostly. I also finally got the (RC) ceiling fan put up and balanced and did some caulking to the trim in the upstairs hallway. We got a ten percent off coupon from both Sherwin Williams and Lowe's in the mail from the USPS for changing our address, so we did a little shopping. This trip to Lowe's was to be for anything I needed to do up my basement and whatever else I needed. Oh yeah, I had my shopping list ready. I got just about all I'll need for awhile. Five gallons of Drylok, scrapers, brushes, rollers; all kinds of stuff. We got a keypad entry door lock for our back door and an outside motion light, plus all kinds of stuff. Ended up spending another 500 bucks or so.
    We got all the stuff done she wanted to accomplish for the day by 10pm, so she called it a night and headed to her parents house. I have to work third shift tomorrow (today, I guess), so I wanted to stay up late so I'll be able to sleep until 2pm today. Mission accomplished! Since I got my honey-do list done and I had all my basement project stuff, I cranked some tunes, put on a dust mask, fired up the window exhaust fan and started scraping old paint off the basement wall. I wasn't sure how much I was going to do, but I made good progress, and got the entire wall scraped and cleaned up. Couldn't stop there!! I ended up painting the whole thing with a coat of drylok and am pleased with how much brighter it is down there just with the one wall painted. Next up is to tear out the bottom cabinets and do the same. Probably won't be for a bit; still a lot to do to the exterior and then on to the next room, (whatever she decides that is!) Wow, it's getting late (early), so time for sleep.....pics first!!

Bedroom is looking good....

Supplies at the ready....

This was an ad in a newspaper that was being used as shelf liner on some stuff I moved. Bargain prices!!

Looking rough after getting off years of paint. Most of the paint cans I found were mixed in 1980...

Not sure how old this thing is, but it still works great. Gets me to thinking about a spray booth for doing RC bodies!!

Now that is a lot of crud....filled a whole shopping bag with paint scrapings!

Looks so much better!!

Big difference, yes?

Sooooo much more to do, but I am enjoying every minute!

RC Qualifier
    Looks incredible. My parents had bought a lake house early this year and we had gone to Walmart to pick up a few little things and came back with almost a 1000 dollars worth of stuff haha funny how that happens. Love seeing the transformation keep them coming!
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Champion
    Not a ton of progress since yesterday, except for our painter friend. Man, does he ever work fast! He thought it would take eight days to paint, but we'll be done by Tuesday, and he can't work today! (We also missed a day and a half because of rain) He just has to do the upper right side of the house and he will be done. As for my wife and I, all we have to do is a few small spots and the rest of the porch. Her Mom's been helping us paint the inside every spare moment she gets, too, so the master bedroom is done. They finished up the wall-mounted headboard and cleaned the floor and got an area rug for the bed to sit on. We just might move in on Wednesday now that we have a place to sleep! Speaking of that, I worked until 6am after painting all day, so I'm beat. Some pics for ya, and some shut-eye for me....

Looking really good! Did I mention that the metal roof will be started on Monday?!?

Headboard looks good. The rug is bigger than I thought they would get, but it looks ok. Just stay outta the basement, and they can do whatever they want!!

All done....time for some furniture!

RC Champion
    Just got home from work, but now I have two days off. Time to put it overdrive and get moved in. The Master is done and I think I can wrap up the outside painting in two days. Roofers will be there soon and we're ready to move on to painting another room. Family had a big picnic, and I decided to trim and mow my in-laws place before work, since they're helping us out so much. The least I could do. Just a few pics of the master with some furniture in there...

Bedroom all pretty....

RC Champion
    When I saw the first pictures I wasn't super interested, but seeing the transformation makes me realize what an awesome place you've got!

RC Champion
    Just got home from another (self imposed) long day. I did get a late start, due to being on third shift most of the time. I got all of the second bedroom caulked and all the dings patched up so my wife can paint in the morning; well a few hours from now. I also got most of the front porch done. Some of the trim on the eves was kind of hairy, so I'll let my painter buddy handle it. Our Amish roofers got started around 7am, and got all the framing done and a good bit of the upper roof done as well. After my wife called it quits for the day, I finished the bedroom and started chipping paint off of a second basement wall. I got a coat of Drylok on that and a second coat on the wall I did the other night. Not using as much paint as I thought, so I might do three coats all around. Want to be sure before I start to fill with my goodies! Next up will be to rip out the lower cabinets and do the wall behind that. Should be a treat. Judging by the newspaper clipping taped to the inside of one, they have been there at least 35 years! I've got to get some sleep....yawn; more pics....

Lower level framing....

I don't think I'd wanna be up there.....

Roof starting to take shape....

Looks great!!

So much loose paint! Some of it just falls off in chunks when I touch it.

Paint + mold + dust = safety gear!

Filled a kitchen size trash can with paint chips....

Looks much better. Might have to get some heavy-duty paint for the outside of the sink. Go all in, I say.

Another white wall. Only about 30% done. Ummm, yay?

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 07-24-2012 at 04:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Looken great my parents had bought a lake house early in the year and we had to do a bunch of work my dad calls it swear equity but it's free labor lol. Can't wait to see your finished basement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I'm bored at work
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Qualifier
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by flanders125; 07-24-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Qualifier
    haha double post
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC poster
    Awesome house you got there I would love to have a rc workspace that big

Posted with my droid bionic

RC Champion
    Haven't been on here much. I moved in on Wednesday and pretty much have been in a technological black hole. No phone, cable or internet yet. I have to come over to my in-laws to check my e-mail and such. My roofers got everything wrapped up and the outside painting is almost done. It would've been finished days ago, but rain and scheduling keep interfering.
    Speaking of rain, we had quite a bit last night. The basement had a bit of water in it before I went to work and I was fearful of what I would find when I came home this morning. To my surprise, the floor was almost dry after work. I got a little more of my basement project done the other night, too. My decision to rip out the bottom cabinets turned out to be a sound one. Lurking underneath was a mess of rotted wood, spiders, and mold. Uuuuuggggg. Next up is to clean up and paint that wall and do some caulking around some windows down there. I also installed an electronic deadbolt with a keypad on my back door. The other bedroom is looking good, too. Just gotta paint the door and it'll be done. Put an air conditioner in the window for a little cooling comfort.

Goodbye, Mr. Cabinet!!

Not sure if this bottom shelf is usable.....

Creepies running everywhere!

All gone and cleaned up.

Second bedroom done; just needs furniture and a headboard.

RC Champion
    Haven't been on here for awhile, (still shut off from the outside world with no Internet or cable yet), but getting some stuff done. The outside looks good; just have to finish up the garage trim to match. Hate doing trim! Just so tedious! I got a bit more done in my basement also. I got the wall painted where I removed the lower cabinets and primed the upper ones. I took off the handles and gave them a good polishing. Next up is to paint the cabinets a nice bright red and start scraping and painting another basement wall. My wife is going to go full force on kitchen cleaning and painting, while I am going to start on my den so we can fill that up with furniture. Right now it's basically a place to put all of our painting stuff. I had a great score on some supplies through my father in law! A friend of his retired and closed up his building supply store. He had a giant auction to get rid of everything, but a lot was left over. He gave us a key and said come over and help ourselves to whatever we want! We filled two pickups with goods. I got drywall, plywood sheets, pink insulation, foam insulating sheets, four rubbermaid trashcans, tile, trim, paint, plaster of Paris, peghooks, hand cleaners, and a fire extinguisher! All for free!! Enough to totally finish my attic and get some other projects done. Awesome!!!!! Time for more pics.....

Big difference with some new paint....

Basement starting to look better....

Shiny and looking almost new.

I think my den could be a paint store.

My garage door is looking a little halloweenish until I get the rest of the black on there.

My nephew stopped by to lend a hand.

RC Champion
    this is going to be one sweet RC lair. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

RC Qualifier
    cant wait to see the finished product!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!