Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

TQ 2.4GHz - 2 to 4 Channel Mod

Hello Guys,

Well, I got my E.R.B.E. last week and I wanted to have at least 3 channels on my radio to turn on/off the lights remotely... I didn't want to buy a new 2.4GHz receiver for my Nomadio, or go back to the AM TQ4 from my Summit...

So, I was wondering if it was possible to convert the TQ 2.4GHz from 2 channels to 4 channels (we already have a 4-channel receiver on the truck)... And, the answer is YES!!!

This mod is working just fine for me, but, this will void your warranty and I'm not responsable if you ruin your transmitter...

I suppose you know how to open the TQ transmitter: 5 screws on the back, remove the plastic cover from the on/off switch, remove the battery holder and the 3 screws on the board..

1) Get 2 switches from a TQ or TQ3, the small ones on the front...

The two holes for these switches are already made on the transmitter...

And, the board has the holes and is ready to solder the switches on it...

2) Install both switches and solder them...

3) The guys from Traxxas are smart, if you don't install a jumper (a wire or a 0 ohm resistor like R30 or R38) on R33 and R18, channels 3 and 4 won't work...

Last edited by danielhr77; 03-27-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

4) I'm planning to use two external potentiometers on the top of the transmitter like the ones on the front (taken from a TQ or a TQ3 too) but most of you guys will do fine with internal potentiometers... I'm going to show you what and where to solder them... As an example, on the left, the TQ4 from the Summit, you can see both potentiometes "Pot 1" and "Pot 2", these are 100kohms... You need to install both of them on the 2.4Ghz transmitter where it says "Pot 1" and "Pot 2"... I already soldered some wires for the external potentiometer...

5) And now, the switches... These switches can have 2 or 3 positions... I mean, LEFT-RIGHT, or, LEFT-MIDDLE-RIGHT... You need 2 switches like the ones on the left... I labeled them with colors... You will find the same labels on the board... Just solder three cables on each switch and solder those cables on the board...

You can drill two 6mm holes wherever you want and install these switches on the transmitter...

6) Then put everything back in, and cut 2 square holes on the front for the switches...

And, that's it!!! A Traxxas 2.4Ghz 4-channel transmitter...

Let me know if you like it and if you need more information about this...

Daniel.

PS: I also changed the ugly red LED for a blue one...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 03-27-2009 at 12:30 AM.

RC Racer
    Nice work daniel when i get my2.4 iam goin to do the same thing .

RC Racer
    Great find!!! I think I may try my hand at this project.

RC Qualifier
    Very impressive, thanks for putting the guide together.

RC Qualifier
    Very innovative! What are you going to use the 2 new channels for? I may do this so I can remotely control lighting on mine!

RC Qualifier
    very nice mod! if i could only do this with my DX2.0 and make it a DX3.0 lol...i wish
    E-Revo MMM 2200 6s 22/65

RC poster
    pic of the transmitter with your potentiometer switches installed plz!

Very nice work!

RC Champion
    Super mod, proffesionally done. Knowledge is cool, wish I had some
    It's been fun. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by morphout
    pic of the transmitter with your potentiometer switches installed plz!

Very nice work!
    Thanks! I haven't decided where to install them yet, that's why I didn't put some pictures of them, but I will...

Also, I forgot to mention this before, there's no way to do this to a TQ (the original AM one)...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 03-27-2009 at 02:35 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Very nice mod! What would happen if i didn't solder on potentiometers? Everything else except potentiometers? would it still work?

RC Qualifier
    should add this to the FAQ
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

Hmm... I guess not, but you can solder two 50k resistors, like this:

S---/\/\/\/---M---/\/\/\/---S

M: goes to the middle, both resistors are connected there...
    S: one goes to the left and one goes to the right...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 03-27-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: changed graphic and explanation...

RC Qualifier
    where can I get the specific potentiometers ?
    Brushless - nothing else even come close...

If you want to use the external ones like the ones on the front of the transmitter, get them from another TQ...

If you want to use the intermal ones (called vertical trimmers) you have to buy them from an electronic shop... I don't have the part number for them, just buy 100k trimmers that fit those holes on the board...

These are the ones on the TQ4 from the Summit...

I'm trying to find them on Digikey... This one looks like a replacement...

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=3306W-104-ND
    Last edited by danielhr77; 03-29-2009 at 04:16 AM.

RC Champion
    That is a great upgrade

Just one thing .... The small photos !!!
    when I click on them .... Nothing
    I just get a blank screen from imageskack
    What must I do to see them ?
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Champion
    Same question .... The small photos !!!
    when I click on them .... Nothing
    I just get a blank screen from imageskack
    What must I do to see them ?
    ´Cos I can´t make anything out on the small photos
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Qualifier
    Hey Daniel I did the mod I am having a problem though my channel 3 for the high/low I am getting signal to the servo but it is not turning as much as it should to switch it from high to low, also my channel 4 the switch is not working but the potentiometer is turning the servo when I turn the potentiometer.

I used the two potentiometer's from my tq-4 and the high/low switch from my tq-4 and soldered the onto the board same colors to the holes marked with the coresponding color.

Channel 3 High/Low:
    -switch works it will turn it far enough to switch to low but is not turning servo far enough to switch it back to high.
    -I turned the potentiometer all the way to one side and all the way back to the other side and it works fine.

Channel 4 T-lock:
    -switch does not work at all
    -turned the potentiometer all the way to both sides and the servo's work fine to open and close the differential levers

Any ideas???
    "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way"

Yes, you're right, I'm sorry for that... I tested everything with my custom light system, not with servos... The servos were only turning to one side, 45 degrees from the center... So, after a little research I found out we need to remove two 0 ohms resistors... These are the pictures, I circled the two resistors in yellow... It's not easy to remove them, they are so small...

Just in case, I made a video, if you like how the servos are turning right now, go ahead and remove both resistors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbihWQs-qPY

You will need to calibrate the potentiometers in order to leave both of them centered again, they are very sensitive... The one on the bottom has to be calibrated, the one on the top looks good now...

Let me know if you need anything else, this is trial and error, you know...

Daniel.

RC Qualifier
    Hey danielhr77!
    I would like to do this mod. but I want to be sure that I have all the required parts, so far I have:
    1. 2 switches from a TQ
    2. 2 switches that have 3 positions
    3. I have another TRX 2.4GHz so can I take the external potentiometers from the transmitter?
    now, I want to use On channel to control 12V 2 led lights, and te other channal to switch on/off a cooling fan, do I need to do something else?
    like revoming the 2 0 ohms resistors?
    many thanks!
    Brushless - nothing else even come close...

Well, this weekend I went ahead and installed a LiPo on the TQ4...

First, you need to open the TQ4, remove the battery holder and the circuit board and remove both wires (red/black) that come from the battery holder...

Then, I solder a 3S voltage monitor from ********* to those two pads...

And, installed a Futaba male connector where the original wires were before...

I installed everything back in, and put the voltage monitor on the right side of the grip...

And, this is how it looks with the external connector and the LiPo installed... I removed all the springs to make it look better...

This is the LiPo: http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=9787

This is the LVA: http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=7223

And, this is how it sounds when I turn it on...

I'll test today how long does this LiPo last and I'll put another video to show you how does it sound when the LiPo is reaching it's minimum level...

Hope you like the upgrade...

Daniel.

Last edited by danielhr77; 11-16-2009 at 03:35 PM.

RC Competitor

tq4 lipo

hey Daniel,

thats is an awesome mod with the lipo battery! i am interested in doing this but the main reason for me would be to lighten the remote all together as 8AA's can be heavy...

does it make the remote much lighter? also very curious to see how long it lasted as well.

thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Yes, you're right, I'm sorry for that... I tested everything with my custom light system, not with servos... The servos were only turning to one side, 45 degrees from the center... So, after a little research I found out we need to remove two 0 ohms resistors... These are the pictures, I circled the two resistors in yellow... It's not easy to remove them, they are so small...

Just in case, I made a video, if you like how the servos are turning right now, go ahead and remove both resistors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbihWQs-qPY

You will need to calibrate the potentiometers in order to leave both of them centered again, they are very sensitive... The one on the bottom has to be calibrated, the one on the top looks good now...

Daniel.

Thanks I will give it a shot tomorrow or tonght a little later and let you know if it works.

Ken

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77

Daniel.

I took the resistors out and it worked great.........

Thanks for the help on the mod......

Yes, you can take the external potentiometers from another transmitter, but I recommend two trimmers (the internal white ones)... You just need to adjust them once...

To control some lights or a cooling fan you need another device like a pico switch... You CANNOT do that directly from the receiver...

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/PicoSwitch.htm

They pics are working fine on my PC... Click on any one, and wait like 10/15 seconds and the big picture will appear... If not, I'll upload them to another server...

You're welcome!!! I'm glad it's working right now...

One thing I forgot to mention, on the back, where the charger jack is, there are two holes for the trimmers, those holes are sealed at the end... You need to open those holes with a 5.5mm drill bit...

RC Racer
    Nice guide, I'll try it!

RC Qualifier
    I declare a sticky for this thread.
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

RC Qualifier
    Just did this myself... works excellent.

You can actually skip putting in the channel reversing switches if you want, they only connect on one side like an SPST switch. If the Hi/Lo thumb switch operates backward, just switch the orange & white wires around (or the black & red on the t-lock switch). Worked out perfect.

Thanks for the mod!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, I am impressed! I thought converting the 3rd channel on my TQ3 to be fully proportional was good, but this is just brilliant!

Do you have any electrical engineering experience, or are you just crazy-smart?
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Wow, I am impressed! I thought converting the 3rd channel on my TQ3 to be fully proportional was good, but this is just brilliant!

Do you have any electrical engineering experience, or are you just crazy-smart?
    Hahaha, both!!! I'm a software engineer and my father is an electronic engineer... I've been playing with electronics since I was like 5 and with R/C since I was like 9... But, I entered the Traxxas world two and a half years ago and now I own 21 of their trucks/cars...

This mod was not difficult to do, it took me like two hours total to find out what to modify... But, I like to create crazy things all the time, like this:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=427734

And, I have tons of crazy thing layings around at home... I'm developing one right now, it's E-Revo/E-Maxx related, so, I'll post it soon...

Traxxas could hire me in the future, right??? hahahaha... Have a nice weekend!!!
    Last edited by danielhr77; 05-01-2009 at 02:47 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš View Post
    Wow, I am impressed! I thought converting the 3rd channel on my TQ3 to be fully proportional was good
    I have been trying to find someone who has made fully proportional servo control on a separate channel for quite a while and I would really like to know how you can do it and if it is possible to do it to a TQi (2 or 4 channel)

this is my thread http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rating-a-servo

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I love that tree!!!

But what's a nive weekend? Haha, J/K!

Haha, the 'c' is too close to the 'v' on my laptop...

Today, I replaced the plastic steering wheel with an aluminum one from Hot Racing... The aluminum wheel is not a direct fit, I had to cut the plastic on the radio to have the same steering radius, if not it was cut by half...

I removed the plastic on an old TQ3 first, and then modified the TQ2.4Ghz...

And, this is how it looks installed on my TQ2.4Ghz...

I really hate when some company releases a product without testing it first...

Well, hope you like it...

Last edited by danielhr77; 08-16-2009 at 01:35 AM.

RC Competitor
    **** that 4 channel mod is sweet. I am glad you bumped this thread. I already sold my 2.4ghz 2 channel and got a Futaba 4PK so I can't take advantage of it but it was still awesome to see. Which 4 channel receivers work with it? Just Traxxas or others?

Thanks! And, just the one from Traxxas...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just so everyone knows, each brand's 2.4Ghz transmitter only works with that same brand's 2.4Ghz receiver, with the exception of Spektrum and Losi...any Spektrum 2.4Ghz transmitter will connect to any Spektrum 2.4Ghz or Losi 2.4Ghz receiver, and any Losi 2.4Ghz transmitter will connect to any Spektrum 2.4Ghz receiver.