RC Qualifier

Lipo in series or parallel?

With the stock seup the batteries are setup in parallel correct? Is it better to run in series, i am looking for longer runtimes when i go to lipo and would like to know if this is the way to go? Also if anyone has a diagram of how to do that i would also appreciate that too. With my promatch 4600's i get 40 min runtime and i heard with lipo i could get over an hour to an hour and a half which i would love.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful direction and instructions!

RC Enthusiast
    Due to the limited choices of LiPo and space of the battery compartment, you would have to sacrifice either voltage/capacity or discharge rate to get you an hour to an hour and a half worth of operation.

By judging on your run time of 40mins for a pack of 4600 SubC(I assume) cells, I think a pair of 5000mah 2S packs in series would give you a great run time of close to an hour.

If weight is not of concern, two packs of 8000mah 2S in series would give you an hour and little more out of it. (You will also have to consider the extra weight that your truck will need to pull, thus slightly higher power consumption)

I think an ideal setup for 1hour and a half would be to get two pairs of 2S 5000mah packs and run them in two legs of operation. A pair for the first leg and a spare pair for the second leg.
    Last edited by FusionTiger; 03-26-2009 at 11:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    how would that be setup? how do you set each battery for each leg of the run time? is there a diagram of how to set them up in series if that is how to run them is seperate leg of run time? Sorry, i am not electrically inclined much.

RC Enthusiast
    I was refering to pit-stop refuel style of changing batteries in two legs plan.

There is no way you can fit 4 packs of 5000mah 2S Lipos into the Summit with out major modifications. Weight would be a big issue too if thats the case.

If you are intending to run your Summit like a no-pitstop endurance-style operation, a pair of 8000mah 2S is the only option for now.

If you are fine with running at a lower voltage of 11.1v, a pair of 5000mah 3S in parallel would work. Ideal weight range too. Thats 10000mah of capacity but your truck will be operating appox 25% slower.