RC Racer

Bearings and Dust Covers.

So this evening I was doing some PM work on my Summit and noticed that the Dust Covers [(5378x)I think] were tore up quite a bit. Check your that part number on your trucks and tell me if yours are the same please. It's not clear in the exploded view book so it looks like 5378x or 5334R, not sure what the difference is.

Let me know what shape yours are in as all of mine have a bunch of tears in them.

Also, while messing around I heard some "crunching" coming from the axle bearings, I checked a couple of them and some had grease and some didn't. I'm thinking I need to tear them all down, clean and re-pack them, what grease should I use to re-pack them with?

Thanks,

RC Enthusiast
    my r ripped to but i dont have a crunching noise yet. on the grease thing i dont know but when i find out i will let u know.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slashboy101
    my r ripped to but i dont have a crunching noise yet. on the grease thing i dont know but when i find out i will let u know.
    My LHS gave me a Little tube of fairly thick green grease. It's High speed and high temp. I think it's HPI Diff lube. It holds up outstanding on my bearings. i've got at least 20 runs after repacking them and they're still smooth and full of grease. The LHS guy said it's pretty water repellent stuff too.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, i have one ripped boot as well but it's not large enough to let big chunks of grime in. That rubber is pretty soft. Prolly caused by twigs or something poking at it while i'm bashing in the yard.
    Corrijo
    When the muds flyin, don't call me.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrijo
    My LHS gave me a Little tube of fairly thick green grease. It's High speed and high temp. I think it's HPI Diff lube. It holds up outstanding on my bearings. i've got at least 20 runs after repacking them and they're still smooth and full of grease. The LHS guy said it's pretty water repellent stuff too.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, i have one ripped boot as well but it's not large enough to let big chunks of grime in. That rubber is pretty soft. Prolly caused by twigs or something poking at it while i'm bashing in the yard.
    Please confirm the name on that stuff when you get a chance please.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    It's a small white metal tube and the outside say's HPI Diff Grease. It's green in color. Hope this helps!!!
    Corrijo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrijo
    It's a small white metal tube and the outside say's HPI Diff Grease. It's green in color. Hope this helps!!!

Is it easy to apply? The reason I ask is because I was at a LHS and there was a employee there tearing apart a Traxxas bearing and he was just dropping some type of oil in there. Looks like a thick grease that was in the one bearing that I tore apart and nothing in another one so I'm assuming that it came with grease from the factory but a lot of it got washed out from running through water and such....???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by umc
    Is it easy to apply? The reason I ask is because I was at a LHS and there was a employee there tearing apart a Traxxas bearing and he was just dropping some type of oil in there. Looks like a thick grease that was in the one bearing that I tore apart and nothing in another one so I'm assuming that it came with grease from the factory but a lot of it got washed out from running through water and such....???
    It easy to do. i'll talk you through a couple steps.

1. Remove the bearings from the ball carriers completely.
    2. Use a hobby knife and slide it between the inner race of the bearing and the blue dust cover. Do this carefully so you don't damage the blue cover.
    3. Pry off the cover.
    4. Clean the bearings with some sort of solvent (Electric motor cleaner works well.)
    5. Squeeze just enough grease out of the tube so that you barely dome the top of the tube. (This does not mean make a mushroom!)
    6. Work the small dome of grease into the bearing by starting at the exposed bearings and working outward over the outer race.
    7. Do this across the entire circumference of the bearing and replace the cover. (The cover will squish the grease into the bearing)
    8. Repeat 7 more times.

You're 30 minutes away from a smooth running truck. You'll really notice a difference.

John
    Corrijo