RC Champion

Help with a wing

Hi,
    I was looking in the search forum section for some information on wing mounts for the Jato. I basically found nothing but the New Era mount. Is this the only mount that will fit the Jato 3.3? I haven't found one from Traxxas. Is there another mount that will work better than the New Era mount?

The next thing is which wing would work the best for the New Era mount. If there is another mount out there what wing is best to mount on it?
    Revo Picco 26
    T Maxx3.3
    Jato3.3
    RC10GT
    XXX-NT

RC Racer
    New Era is the only one I think and Proline 1/8 high down force is the best wing
    Stock Jato
    Stock 18TZ Jato
    AB Mod 18TZ Jato

RC Qualifier
    +1 on New Era. I have seen some Aluminum ones on Ebay but I would think the New Era would be much more durable.

nothing beats the New ear kit, don't bothers youself searching here or there
    it's the best one you'll find.

i made a moded one from a thunder tiger's buggy wing mount then placed
    a 1/8 size wing over it, still working great but it's not better than the New
    era's kit.

check this thread, it shows my mod with pic's and detalie images how to those by thunder
    tiger would solve this issue:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ger+wing+mount
    Last edited by Desert JATO; 03-19-2009 at 07:21 AM.

RC Champion
    i disagree with putting a wing on the rear.... the jato is so light in the front.... u are only taking away more steering at speeds by adding downforce on the rear..... JMO
    been there bought that

it's adding some look here forbes you know .. some kind of cool allure

RC Champion
    Yeah I am looking for the cool factor more than anything!
    Revo Picco 26
    T Maxx3.3
    Jato3.3
    RC10GT
    XXX-NT

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    Yeah I am looking for the cool factor more than anything!
    indeed !
    you may also check this from liquid rc, not been mentioned by many but
    it's an option.
    http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=46413

RC Racer

Rear Wing question??

Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO
    nothing beats the New ear kit, don't bothers youself searching here or there
    it's the best one you'll find.

i made a moded one from a thunder tiger's buggy wing mount then placed
    a 1/8 size wing over it, still working great but it's not better than the New
    era's kit.

check this thread, it shows my mod with pic's and detalie images how to those by thunder
    tiger would solve this issue:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ger+wing+mount
    I am researching the install of a rear wing. I have looked through the searches and saw this from Desert Jato and just saw a recent post by Toothpick. Are the New Era and Thunder Tiger still the best options? I did
    see an install using the Traxxas EXO carbon REVO wing. Also, does it really work at speed or is this a show piece? I am installing one even if its just for show, but I am wondering if it really settles the Jato down in the 65+ range.

RC Qualifier
    I think the New Era one is the best direct fit, it just bolts straight on. The alloy one Desert has linked above might be slightly harder to mount if I understood it correctly when I researched it a while back. My interpretation was that you also need to buy the appropriate alloy shock tower to fit the mount. It may be an option but based on my experience with alloy shock towers I would advise to stick with stock, everytime my Jato landed or flipped onto its roof the impact on the rear shock tower destroyed my tranny casing.

the best "wing mount" is the one by Newera no doubt. it holds better than my custom made one. so better to go with newera setup for the wing mount, and for the wing itself, you can choose any model you like.

RC Racer
    New Era it is then. I did like the look of the EXO carbon wing. Does this wing set up really work as it should, or did you have to add weight to the front and move the battery compartment to the mid body location to compensate for the extra weight out back?

i didn't use the exo carbon wing, i'm using one by thunder tiger, but most of the guys here uses the exo carbon wing and they are satisfied with it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    i disagree with putting a wing on the rear.... the jato is so light in the front.... u are only taking away more steering at speeds by adding downforce on the rear..... JMO
    Depending on what sort of wing and wing mount used and whether the wing mount is adjustable or not will achieve different down force loads over the rear.
    If speed is all your after you would have already stripped as much weight out of the Jato as physically possible so adding a rear wing is just putting more weight back in to achieve no advantage at high speed runs....... in fact, the rear wing would improve wheelies more than anything else.
    However, adding a front wing ( something you'll have to come up with) for high speed will have every advantage under the sun.

Adding a rear wing for bashing or off roading is a definite advantage as it saves the cooling head with lid skids and lid landings and also gives you a handle to carry it around

RC Racer
    Revo wing and modified Revo wing mount

RC Racer

Jato front and rear wing package

Quote Originally Posted by kamipalms
    Depending on what sort of wing and wing mount used and whether the wing mount is adjustable or not will achieve different down force loads over the rear.
    If speed is all your after you would have already stripped as much weight out of the Jato as physically possible so adding a rear wing is just putting more weight back in to achieve no advantage at high speed runs....... in fact, the rear wing would improve wheelies more than anything else.
    However, adding a front wing ( something you'll have to come up with) for high speed will have every advantage under the sun.

Adding a rear wing for bashing or off roading is a definite advantage as it saves the cooling head with lid skids and lid landings and also gives you a handle to carry it around
    I see the front and rear wing package being a definite upgrade for any high speed package and I see the bashing advantage with the lid landings. The handle is also a nice touch!! I was thinking the same with just adding the rear wing when working on the speed package....thanks.

RC Qualifier
    here is my new era mount and an revo exocarbon wing

RC Racer
    Pick,you are the man with the plan. That's the rear wing set up I am refering to in my posts!! Have you worked on the rear--and front shocks to allow for the extra weight? Have you also seen the need for a front wing at upper speed? I understand there is no front wing yet available----"necessity is the mother of invention". Thanks to you and all for the assistance.

RC Qualifier
    yes i have modified the shocks, all i did tho is but in 70wt oil, same springs. i dont think there is a need for a front wing. cause of the fact that this car is naturally heavy. i think it doesnt get fast enough to lift up or flip. on the other hand you might want a front AND rear wing on something like the rustler vxl which hits high 70's and low 80's. why do u say im the man with the plan??

RC Qualifier
    This is my JATO 3.3 with the New Era wing mount and a Proline 1/8 high down force wing.

Last edited by oldbikedude; 10-18-2009 at 03:26 PM.
    JATO 3.3
    Stampede Build
    DeWalt 12v E-REVO on 4s

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by toothpick
    yes i have modified the shocks, all i did tho is but in 70wt oil, same springs. i dont think there is a need for a front wing. cause of the fact that this car is naturally heavy. i think it doesnt get fast enough to lift up or flip. on the other hand you might want a front AND rear wing on something like the rustler vxl which hits high 70's and low 80's. why do u say im the man with the plan??
    Because you have the set up I'm looking for and I appreciate your detailing ideas----you do have a good game plan. I'll also check out the Rustler set up.
    Thanks!!

RC Competitor
    I like hoe you put your pipe facing the rear can you send me a pm with picture on how that is done?