RC Enthusiast

Slash is running slow

I have a Slash that my son and I have run for a few weeks. Its always run strong until yesterday. It has been run pretty hard. It has slowed down alot and then the motor died. I bought another stock motor today and it is still running slow. I've adjusted the ESC several times and I'm pretty sure its right. Changed the batteries back and fourth.

I have noticed that the transmission seems to make a whinning noise. I adjusted the clutch loose and tight and it makes the same noise. It does not seem to be slipping and everything spins good.

My set up is all stock with 3300 nimh Venom batteries with an Onyx 210 charger.

What could be the problem. Trans?

Thanks, Jesse

RC Competitor
    Well Im no expert on the Slash but I do recall reading in the instruction manual about a Training mode that restricts the power output for beginners. Check that. I know I know, check it again.

Assuming the connectors for the new motor did not come pre-installed, are you sure those connections are good, solid connections? I have read where folks are converting those motor - ESC connectors to Deans or TRX.

Stranger things have happened than to have a battery die out prematurely too. That is relevant to how far you run it down and recharge it etc. Hopefully you have another rig to install the battery in to see if it works good in another vehicle. If so, I would suggest looking at the ESC as being the culprit.
    And, honestly, after installing a brushless system in one of my Slashes I wouldn't even bother with a stock setup. Period. Waste of money IMHUO when you cna get so much more in performance for about the same money as retail on the stock setup.
    Hope this helps.

RC Enthusiast
    I did check the training mode thing. No, thats not it. In training mode the thing is really slow. I also adjusted the throttle position and still the same.

Its seems that its sluggish too. It does not take off as fast. I've tried two different batteries and its all the same. Do you think the ESC might be the problem?

RC Qualifier
    How old are your battery packs? You could be having problems with it where the voltage is dropping off under load.

I would also remove the pinion gear from the motor and turn the drive shafts and see it you get any binding or noise coming from the tranny. If you do, tear it down and investigate further.
    Turned to the dark side....

RC Competitor
    At this point I suspect the batteries too. PErhaps the old motor zapped the batteries on it's way out?

I still say that you should ditch the stock setup and either go VXL for simplicity's sake or a better BL setup. Tons of em out there and for about the same money as stock replacement parts.

Test tha batterties under load first. Then start in on the possibility of binding issues. If those two tests pass, I would replace the ESC if you truly wanna keep it stock.
    To me, down time is time away from bash time. I would seriously throw that stock setup at the first passing car and go get at the VERY least a VXL system and some new lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea, The brushless is in the works. I could get it now but I'd rather have my son save the money and get it or aleast most of it himself. I just got the replacement Titan just so he'll still have some fun in the meantime.

Maybe the old motor did fry the batteries. At least one battery got real hot on one of the last runs with the old motor. The batterys are only 2 weeks old and so is the car.

Is there a way I can test the ESC to see if its bad?

There does not seem to be any binding from the tranny but there is some noise. Maybe that needs to come apart tonight.

RC Qualifier
    As far as the ESC goes, the only real way is to swap it with another one.
    Turned to the dark side....

RC Enthusiast
    i had the same problem, but, if you break in the motor, say like when you first get it, hook it up to a AA battery and let it run it dry, then use electric motor cleaner, and then oil the bearings, you should be fine

You also have to remember that the 12t Titan 550 is not a good motor by any means, sometimes there are just crappy ones, i went through two in one week before i got one that works good, my friends first one ran as good as my brushless on a 6 cell when he used an 8 cell in his, so its really the luck of the draw, he also hadnt broken his in or cleaned it in over a month, his started to slow down after a month, but we cleaned and lubed it and now it works just like it did the day he got it
    Traxxas Slash w/VXL

HPI RS4 w/Mamba Max 7700

RC Champion
    I had a similar problem once, I thought it was my motor so I replaced the brushes (wasn't running the stock titan) but that didn't help. Eventually it ended up being my battery pack. It would run strong if I used it immediatly after peaking them, but if I waited, even just a couple hours they would lose their charge. Eventually they stopped holding a charge all together, it ended up being a single bad cell causing the problem.

In your case, i'd say it could be the batteries or possibly the ESC since you have tried two different packs already.

RC Enthusiast
    I took the transmission apart and it all seems fine. I cleaned it real good and re-greased everything.

So its narrowed down to the batteries or the ESC.

Is it possible that the batteries might be fried? I have an Onyx 210 chargers and it does not say that the batteries are bad or give an error when charging.

I also checked the voltage to the motor at WOT and I get 8.3v and I get 8.3v when I check the battery. Is that right?

It is your batteries... And you charger cannot CORRECTLY charge "good" packs. I would go with the onxy 220 or 230 charger and then any battery from here.
    www.spcracing.com
    Btw: If you go lipo you will need the 230 and a blinky balancer.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    If you go lipo, I'd suggest a Hyperion 0606i over the Onyx. Built in balancer, discharger, cycle, and other features not available on the onyx. You're nearly there price wise with an Onyx and Blinky and blinky is not exactly a great balancer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    If you go lipo, I'd suggest a Hyperion 0606i over the Onyx. Built in balancer, discharger, cycle, and other features not available on the onyx. You're nearly there price wise with an Onyx and Blinky and blinky is not exactly a great balancer.
    What in the heck are you talking about... The blinky is a great balancer. If it wasn't good I am pretty sure people wouldn't be recommending it on these forums. I am pretty sure the charger you are talking about needs a power supply and can only charge up to 6 amps... The 230 can charge up to 7 and it is cheaper, even WITH the balancer.

RC Champion
    The blinky is recomended because it's cheap not beucase it's good. The charger I'm recomending does NOT require external power. Both chargers have a 50watt output limit, so being able to charge up to 7 amps means absolutly nothing unless you're charging a pack that peaks at 7.1 volts.

RC Competitor
    Does anyone ever actually read these threads completely or just take off on the current post?
    This dude already has an Onxy Charger and isn't complaining about it at all. I have no doubt there are better/more effective chargers out there. All are shrouded in subjectivity. I like my charger better than any that have been suggested here. IT comes with all the stuff y'all say you have to buy in addition to these "good chargers" so....how does any of this help the guy who started the thread? True, he may need to upgrade his charger, but not to fix his current problem.....no pun intended.
    Furthermore, the dude said he was running nimh packs. So why does he need a balancer? Of any kind?
    Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    The blinky is recomended because it's cheap not beucase it's good. The charger I'm recomending does NOT require external power. Both chargers have a 50watt output limit, so being able to charge up to 7 amps means absolutly nothing unless you're charging a pack that peaks at 7.1 volts.
    Dude... you are LOST. How much is the charger you are recommending?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jrc6805
    Does anyone ever actually read these threads completely or just take off on the current post?
    This dude already has an Onxy Charger and isn't complaining about it at all. I have no doubt there are better/more effective chargers out there. All are shrouded in subjectivity. I like my charger better than any that have been suggested here. IT comes with all the stuff y'all say you have to buy in addition to these "good chargers" so....how does any of this help the guy who started the thread? True, he may need to upgrade his charger, but not to fix his current problem.....no pun intended.
    Furthermore, the dude said he was running nimh packs. So why does he need a balancer? Of any kind?
    Sheesh.
    You're right. Apologies to the OP for straying off topic.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm gonna try another battery pack today and see if thats it.

RC Enthusiast
    Tryed a new battery and the same thing. Its got to be the ESC. I talked with Traxxas and the said to send back the ESC and the motor that burned up. Oh well, lookes like we will be down for a couple weeks

Well, I recommand getting GP 3300 from radioshack for about 25bucks. They are some of the best quality NimH cells on the market. If you go to Radioshack, PLease make sure you get the GP 3300 pack and not the cheap chinese made pack. The GP pack is clear and you can see the cell, the other is completely enclosed in the the packaging.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    It's not the batteries, he's treid three packs.

RC Competitor
    Well congratulations on your discovery. Looks like they're gonna make good on your stuff and if I can remember through all this garbage correctly, you got a new motor already...I think. Too many threads here about the same issues eventually.
    Seems like you owe the fans a pic or two when you get all this back and running again.

Since no one else has said this I will. The whining noise you are hearing is tyour gear mesh, which would also cause it to run slow. reset it but put a piece of notebook paper in between the gears to make sure there is some play. I don't think it is your ESC. If you are getting 8.3 volts out the ESC at full throttle thats good. Did you try it with the motor hooked up and the wheels spinning? If you do and the voltage doesnt drop too much, then I doubt it's your ESC. I would seriously check your gear mesh and loosen it up a bit. And 319, why would his battery be bad for producing 8.3 volts, or his charger?
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    what did traxxas say? I am having the same problem.
    3905 GorillaMaxx 1515 1Y, Mambo Monster

RC poster
    i think you have to program the esc so it recognizes where full throttle is. there are instructions in the manual on how to do this.

RC Qualifier
    Somewhere between Nitropia and Electropia.
    Same here...my slash was slowing down after 2 months of operation...I was suspecting the battery..until one day it totally died (no motor response but the steering servo)...my friend said check the motor and I found one of the brushes was missing...then a friend lend me an LRP 12T brushed motor and BAM! My slash is running so much faster than new...then tried 8 cells setup, ran it on concrete...BANG! I blew my rear tire....

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry I never posted an update. The new motor I installed was the wrong one. My LHS sold me a 14v Titan.

I sent the ESC and the original burned up motor to Traxxas. After I realized I had the wrong motor I called Traxxas and told them. They said no problem and sent me a new motor and ESC any way for free. Their customer service is top notch. I will never buy an RC from another company. In fact, I just broke the main shaft in the transmission. I called Traxxas to order the part and they just sent that part out for free too.