RC Qualifier

FLM Tranny Case(s)

I don't know the difference between the FLM20000 and FLM20500. FLM20000 has "1 degree arm mounts," and the FLM20500 has "4 degree arm mounts." Does this just deal with the toe of the rear wheels? A good explanation would be appreciated!

And, how many of you would recommend this tranny case? It is between this or a bulkhead and something else. (~$60 USD to spend)

With that said, what FLM parts would you recommend. I already have a chassis coming in the mail. I do not know if the shock towers would be good or not (I have broken a rear one, but I think it was just due to the cold). I also am thinking maybe the arms (F & R)
    Last edited by SlashKiller; 03-14-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Qualifier
    i would avoid alum a arms. they tend to bend. they are more for show. get rpm a arms. super strong. i've heard the tranny is good. as far as the toe.....that's up to your handling prefferance. good luck in the USAF. i had a blast
    Long live Duck Tape!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bde742
    i would avoid alum a arms. they tend to bend. they are more for show. get rpm a arms. super strong. i've heard the tranny is good. as far as the toe.....that's up to your handling prefferance. good luck in the USAF. i had a blast
    Alright, thanks for the info! The tranny case is still my first choice and if one offers more "tuning abilities" I may as well get that, but I'll learn more I'm sure.

And thank you for that as well! I have to finish high school and will be enlisting in July to November, do not know a date for sure yet (depends on my work schedule till I can leave). Can I ask you what your job was and how long you were in? PM me if you wish. I know a lot of people in other branches but not many people in the Air Force.. I am planning on working on C-17's and if thats not available then hopefully A-10's, my favorite aircraft! I could talk about this forever, ha, I'm just real excited!
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Champion
    I like the bulkheads in aluminum. They are strong and in my case, I use them in Stampedes to bias the weight more to the front. The Pede is such a wheelie monster that every little bit helps. I also plan on installing an aluminum bulkhead in one of my Slashes but they are certainly not required on either truck. I have yet to break a stocker. I have a couple FLM tranny cases but they or more or less bling. Yes they are strong and look fantastic but certainly not on the short list of upgrades. I also agree with the above opinion on the usage of aluminum arms. I prefer RPM and run them on everything. I will add though that it has been very hard for me to resist the red STRC aluminum arms for my second Slash.... It will have more Aluminum on it than I usually run...

PS. Thunderbolt II's rock...

TR17
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Riptide 17
    I like the bulkheads in aluminum. They are strong...

PS. Thunderbolt II's rock...

TR17
    If I get a bulkhead too, I may be able to get two more parts, like caster blocks and carriers, still thinking. I'll check out my fathers cars and ask him as well. I just wish that the Big Bores weren't that expensive! And they're not even threaded, which is something that I want.

And yes, I love the hogs. It's my dream to fly them, but I have to get myself a degree first. Hopefully I will be in 7 years tops!
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Champion
    With the 4 Degree Tranny Case you will likely go through tires at a much faster rate. Also, I don't reccomend Aluminum arms ( I had aluminum fronts on a Rustler) and it just causes shock to go to other parts. ( I broke 2 plastic bulks before going back to a friends custom made plastic front Arms)
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Champion
    ^^^That is a good point about the 4 degree toe-in especially if you run on high traction surfaces, I/E asphalt, concrete etc. Tires will wear at a much faster rate. I have found that I can't see a huge difference between the stock toe-in and the 4 degree on the track. Maybe a slight stability increase but not much...

TR17
    Last edited by Team Riptide 17; 03-14-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC Qualifier
    Ohh, I get it. I was thinking that the 4* arms allowed you to adjust the toe, now I get it... the toe is always set to 4*. ha, so no I know which one to get, if I get that.

And I just looked at mine again, I do not like the big crack in the stock tranny case.

And just found this: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=461059
    I'm lost, does the stock bumper still stay on with this upgrade. Then this asks the question: FLM or New Era?
    Last edited by SlashKiller; 03-14-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashKiller
    I don't know the difference between the FLM20000 and FLM20500. FLM20000 has "1 degree arm mounts," and the FLM20500 has "4 degree arm mounts." Does this just deal with the toe of the rear wheels? A good explanation would be appreciated!

And, how many of you would recommend this tranny case? It is between this or a bulkhead and something else. (~$60 USD to spend)

With that said, what FLM parts would you recommend. I already have a chassis coming in the mail. I do not know if the shock towers would be good or not (I have broken a rear one, but I think it was just due to the cold). I also am thinking maybe the arms (F & R)
    The FLM transmission for both part numbers is exactly the same. The arm mounts are removable, bolt-on items on the FLM transmission, compared to the Traxxas pieces where the arm mounts are molded in. Therefore you can buy the transmission and bolt on either 4 degree or 1 degree mounts. The 4 or 1 degrees of adjustment come from the arm mounts themselves, not the tranny.

I like this tranny very much, but based on your question I would buy the FLM bulk first, you are probably much more likely to break that first than the rear arm mounts. When you break the rear arm mounts, then buy the FLM transmission. Use the balance to get a 121 Kimbrough servo saver and some RPM arms.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, now I get that completely, thank you! I really have to find some money because I want them both! ha. I don't think I will ever switch from the stock arms because I've only broken one driving fast into a poll in 20 degree weather, and the stock replacements are, what? $4.50? $8.00? Not too bad. And I think I figured out my last question about the bumper. Sorry for the activity of this post, I just don't want to waste my money. So I need to find me some $20. Gah. thanks for all the info!
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Qualifier
    You might also take a look at New Era trans case here: http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=9105
    It will not need any additional parts for bumper mount or wheelie bar mount and is actually designed better, IMO, than FLM. I have had both and would pick this one over FLM....$64.80 shipped. FWIW with FLM you will also need part #FLM20700 which is an additional $11 on top of $60.
    Never do anything half fast. Hey Ya'll, watch this

RC Qualifier
    Okay, good. Right now I'm looking at the New Era Tranny case and the STRC bulkhead... Should be set for a while until some more money magically finds its way to me
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Champion
    I would (and did) pick the New Era over the FLM, for all the same reasons glbobo already mentioned.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, I will order the New Era tranny case as soon as I can, along with that bulkhead.

I did see a cool video that had a slash with virtually all aluminum parts, including arms, so I'm sure that I will eventually get those too.. haha, despite what anyone thinks!
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..