Thread: LIPO difference

RC Qualifier

LIPO difference

what is the difference of 2s2p vs. 2s1p. I assume, 2s1p is much better in terms of being more powerful, but i maybe wrong. let me know.
    hate when I spend $, but love to build and run it.

RC Champion
    Same power, but 2S2P has twice the capacity

2S1P means that it's a 2 cell battery wired in Series and there is only one of them, hence the 1P

2S2P means there are two of these 2 cell batteries wired parrallel to one another.

RC Qualifier
    2p means longer run time i believe
    Long live Duck Tape!

RC Qualifier
    interesting thanks.

so 2s2p has a total of 4 cells, is that what you are implying? So its saying 2 cells each have 2500 mah to make up for 2s2p 5000 mah. correct?

I think there is a difference in power though. In order to get more power with 4 cells you would wire them in series.

so maybe the 2s2p battery I have that has 5000 mah 20c, has only 50amps. that is probably the reason why its so slow compared to my 2s1p pack with 100amps.
    Last edited by ChuckDeez; 03-14-2009 at 03:53 PM.

RC Champion
    Some things to clear up here.

If using the SAME cells, then 2s2p will have the same nominal voltage and therefore roughly the same power output of a 2s1p pack. However, it will have twice the capacity (run time) because of the extra 2 cells in parallel. Due to the extra capacity it will also support twice the continuous current draw, so it will be a bit more powerful. If you aren't pushing the pack too hard you may or may not notice this. If you use a 3s or 4s pack, you will have a LOT more power because of the higher voltage. But just adding cells in parallel has only incremental benefits for power output.

Yes, a 2s2p pack has 4 cells in it total. And you are correct, a 2s2p pack of 2500 mAh cells will be 5000 mAh total.

However, keep in mind that FINAL pack capacity multiplied by the C rating is what gives you the pack's continuous current output capability. A 20C 5000 mAh pack has a continuous current rating (in theory) of 100 amps, period. It doesn't matter whether this pack is a 2s1p pack of 5000 mAh cells or a 2s2p pack of 2500 mAh cells. The cells are all working together, so if you have 5000 mAh of total capacity then that is the limiting factor for the current output.

So the power difference you're seeing between your 2s2p pack and 2s1p pack is not necessarily related to the pack's internal setup. If both packs are rated for 100 amps, then there's something else going on. Maybe one pack is getting old, or it has cruddy cells that aren't truly 20C rated.
    XL-1 Pede + Novak SS brushless...old school baby!

RC Qualifier
    yeah, you have cleared it nicely. I love it. thank you so much.

See thats what I'm seeing with my team orion Platinium pack. Its s 2s2p and its slower than my spc lipo pack which is also 2s2p. The orion packs are rated at 100a but the spc 8000mah is rated at 98a. The spc lipo are powerful. I don't know if Orion has something wrong with their batteries but they are Kokam. Its confusing, but the only way to see some power is gear up.