RC Champion

Slash VXL... Whee!!!!!

I am no stranger to brushless. Everything I have is MM or Velineon powered. My lone hold out was my first Slash that I kept brushed in hopes of a spec class. I had already installed a VXL system in my second Slash but have yet to run it. I have been slowly upgrading it while things are slow. Today while giving my brushed Slash a cleaning, I felt the uncontrollable urge to install a VXL in it. 10 minutes later, I was tearing around the yard with a huge grin on my face. Using a matched 4600 SMC pack with stock gearing, the truck was a drift machine! The harder compound of the stock tires kept the rear end loose but controllable. I can't wait to get it on the track! It will be hard for me to ever re-install the Titan... I guess if we ever got enough stockers to race with I would, but for now I will keep the VXL in it. Man this thing is fun!!

TR17
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC Qualifier
    sweet man i know how ya feel.. i just bought my first slash a couple days ago,took the titan out slaped in a vxl,with promatch 8cell matched pack,,and it rips....
    then not even ten sec in my gf's hands she breaks it...

RC Champion
    Looks like a rainy weekend here but next week, I will for sure track test it. My concern is the tires. Not sure how well they will do on a loose, dry track. Especially with the VXL power. Still can't wait!!

TR17

RC Qualifier
    i know the tires work killer on wet streets.

RC Qualifier
    I don't get why anyone complains about the stock tires!? They're fantastic and the look perfect as well, I may be ordering two more sets soon (three of mine have cracked rims).
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Champion
    Fantastic as compared to what? If you bash in the yard they are great. They do have a harder compound and they will last a while. I also agree they look good. On a dry dusty track however, especially with brushless power, they simply won't be great. Even with the Titan, it is a challenge to keep the rear behind the front. Not impossible, but challenging. There are tires that hook up better. That is not just my opinion, it is fact... I am not banging on the stock tires for no reason. Traxxas and other RC companies that sell RTR vehicles have to take into consideration that most people do not race. They run the vehicles on a wide variety of surfaces. Could you imagine how ticked people would be if Traxxas released a super sticky, soft compound racing tire that did not last a week because all they ran on was asphalt? I understand the the reasoning completely but for track running, there are better tires.
    If we do a spec class, I will happily run the stockers. For my modded Slash, it will have better tires.

TR17
    Last edited by Team Riptide 17; 03-14-2009 at 10:12 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Ha, well thats where I got confused. The tack by me runs on a wet dirt track (its packed real good so it doesn't spray up or anything) but every terrain I use them on they go great, except ice of course...
    United States Air Force
    At AFBMT..

RC Champion
    ya i need to get a vxl for my slash soon
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    ive just been out with Crazy L, he was quite content untill he tried my VXL on 7 cells. His was still fun, but an 8.4 and vxl made things a whole lot more. A lot of power, but not too much on 7 cells.
    Slash VXL, E- Maxx 2 , comin' through!

RC Champion
    I have every intention of running mine on 2s lipo. My brushless Pedes are actually plenty fast for our track on 6 cells but I want the lipo for run time. Can't wait to turn some laps with the Slash.

TR17