RC poster

How long should the motor last?

This has probably been covered before, and I tried to search for it.

I should be picking up the Slash tomorrow after work. I have only run nitro engines and I can usualy get about 5 to 8 gallons from a motor. I am a complete electric noob , how long do these motors last? How can you tell it is time to get a new one? I've seen some guys with some kind of lathe thing at the track spinning the motor to shave it. It seems like black magic to me.

RC Qualifier
    The lathe will only help with a rebuildable motor.. The titan motor is a closed end motor and the brushes are not replaceable. Although, it will last a few months if you take it easy. If you are driving in water and never clean it out, it will last significantly shorter. If you buy a rebuildable brushed motor and a lathe, it can last for years.

Also, running more volts will shorten the life of the motor. A 6 cell will last the longest, but running 8 cells will make it run hotter and shorten its life.
    www.SoCal-RC.com

yea Frank is right. The motor on a 6-cell over even a 2s lipo could easily last a year if it's maintain correctly.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    I run mine in a very sandy environment. While I do maintain the motors as best I can, they simply don't last all that long for me. I still only run 6 cell although I am soon upgrading to 2s lipo. That as much as anything is the appeal of brushless. They simply kill a brushed motor as far as maintenance is concerned. I still keep one Slash brushed in hopes of a spec class but everything else is brushless.
    All that said, like mentioned above, where you run your truck and how meticulous you are with up-keep will dictate how long a Titan or any other motor will last.

TR17
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    My titan so far has lasted a good 50+ runs. I have lost count already.

I clean and lube it up every few runs. I am not easy on it either. I do full throttle starts, mudding, running in water over the wheels, and running in dirt. As of right now, it is still going strong.

I think the biggest problem is that because the titan if fan cooled, it sucks up dirt and junk into the windings and brushes. Once that happens, the motor overheats and fries.

Nothing beats good old maintenance to keep your titan going. I believe if people actually took care of their titans, we would see a lot less failues.
    Last edited by NStampede Freak; 03-12-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    I think what makes a brushed electric motor last depends mainly if you are gearing it properly for the conditions. Gearing too low only results in low top speed and reduced run time, but geared too high can overheat and smoke the motor. When I was a newB I smoked my stock 20t Titan exactly that way, running it in tall grass. Poof!

It's all about gearing, load and maintenance. If you have weak battery the motor will struggle to work correctly and can overheat b/c the load was too high for it to handle. Low gearing doesn't actually reduce run-time until the motor is working too easily, then the motor just sit and spins too high of an rpm under a load. It's all about balance. If you don't keep mainenances up...you will reduce the life of the motor. After every 3-5run you should spray the motor with motor spray until the liquid is coming out clear. Re oil the bushing and you should be set. The Titan is naturally going to run alittle hot due to can design. It doesn't have anyway for the heat to escape.

RC Racer
    bushed motors last a long time if you take good care of them like use motor spay and use oil on the brushes they will give you trouble free operation . And the good thing about brushed motors is you can change to different brushing springs and brushes. Emaxx2.0 and Frank H pretty
    much explained everything.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

Well if it's a closed endbell motor like the titan. He can't change the brushes or brush springs.

RC Racer
    i know i was talking about rebuildable ones sorry i didn't mention that.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

That's ok bro. I do miss the competitiveness of brush motors. I do miss the Green machine 3 and the reedy MVP. I have an old peak racing Vision stock motor sitting in my room. I bought it b/c it was a old motor and I like collecting old stuff like that. Well it was very competitive to the monsters and P2K2 but it was my battery that held me back :'(. Now I wonder what it's like on lipo

RC Racer
    i got a old reedy motor ultra series Mr. O's
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

mmmm...sounds great. I miss the old trinity paradox motor.

RC Racer
    i know they need to bring back the old stuff. say you haven't heard of warlock racing motor have you.
    Last edited by T-MAXX pro.15; 03-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

RC Competitor
    my first motor (stock) lasted about 10 runs, but traxxas replaced it. they have great customer service
    You can find me in the mud.

RC poster
    Thanks for all of the tips. I will buy some motor cleaner and oil when I pick it up today. I should hopfully have everything ready to race by tomorrow night.

RC Qualifier
    I race my slash only on an indoor dirt track: first motor lasted 2 1/2 months with NO maintenance: second one is 3 weeks old ran it hot last week-180 degrees. I expect to replace this motor very soon, I even have a back up this time.

I have started blowing them out with caned air and oiling the bushings

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC Racer
    Also i see alot of people putting silicone in the diff. Make sure it does not leak out into the bearings, this causes them to gummed up and that is more of a load on the motor. Take the motor out spin the drive line and it should free wheel with out binding or resistance. My diff leaked some and i found a mess in the trans case. Now i use a vacuum silicone grease that does not leak out, trick is in knowing how much you need to put in. As stated above i use motor cleaner about every 3 runs till it comes out clear and lube bushings. I only race my slash so cleaning might be different for those who bash in different conditions.

RC Champion
    i've ran my slash for about a month and have put 60 packs through it easily (6 cell 3000Mah NiMh Venoms) and i've cleaned the motor out with spray..and my co worker said it ran faster then it has been. and i've mainly run on cement floors (in shop at work, outside at like 23 F temps and my motor has been fine can't say the same for the truck itself though lol..bashing it xD
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC poster

warlock

Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXX pro.15 View Post
    i know they need to bring back the old stuff. say you haven't heard of warlock racing motor have you.
    i actauly am running one in my rustler

RC Racer
    yeah i had a titan and i switched to the optional high speed gearing and brought it outside i took it for some runs on the pavement but soon i was board so i completely forgot that i had change the gearings and i ran over some rocks and in no time it overheated.

I still have a couple green monsters in the closet. I went through a couple sets of brushes but it never let me down.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Also the Brushed motors are cheap to replace. I think the 12T about my local hobby shop was $25

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I still have a couple green monsters in the closet. I went through a couple sets of brushes but it never let me down.
    You mean Green Machines? Those are excellent motors but wouldn't run one in a slash.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbuggy94 View Post
    i actauly am running one in my rustler
    What color is it? the one i have in my RC10T is a Hot pink. This is kind of a old thread but its good to know everyone updates these things havint been here in awhile.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bombs View Post
    Also the Brushed motors are cheap to replace. I think the 12T about my local hobby shop was $25
    A decent brushless motor can be had for the same price.