RC Qualifier

Noob in the House

I didn't see an introductions forum (yes, I did search), so mods feel free to move this post if needed.

Greets. Just registered, just bought a Traxxis Summit. I know virtually nothing about the R/C world but I'm dipping a toe in to test the waters.

I'm into 4wheeling in the 1:1 scale. Been doing that for quite awhile and this is my main trail rig.

I bought a Summit mainly because it's a moderate type of rig. I've painted it up a bit, and still have a little more paint to add to make it match the 1:1 rig, then I'll just leave it stock until something breaks. A couple other guys from our 4x4 club have R/C trucks also, so we'll have some fun, I'm sure.

I kinda had my eyes on a REVO and then when I saw the Summit had selectable lockers, I decided to get that. The 2 speed tranny is nice too.

If anyone has any tips on where the weak points are and possibly what type of maintenance needs to be done. Things that aren't in the manual. I did jump in on the rims\water thread already.

TIA for all your help.

RC Racer
    Welcome...... Matching paint on your rigs looks awesome.
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Enthusiast
    very nice... been a lot of problems with the front diff and my summit came with a stripped motor mount right out of the box. If you encounter any problems with a part breakage, just talk to traxxas and they will send you the replacement. had my part four days after calling

have fun....awesome trucks
    Anyone read these things?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DOWNBREED
    very nice... been a lot of problems with the front diff and my summit came with a stripped motor mount right out of the box. If you encounter any problems with a part breakage, just talk to traxxas and they will send you the replacement. had my part four days after calling

have fun....awesome trucks
    Wow, front diff and motor mount. I've read about the axles\diff issues but what are symtoms of busted motor mount? LOL, I know what the symptoms are in a 1:1 (difficult shifting, fan into fan shroud, engine hitting hood, busting the other mount when stuck in a deep mud hole).

But in the Summit??? Hmmm, I'd have to get my magnifying glass out, LOL.

RC Enthusiast
    the mounting screw would not tighten at all, pinion losing contact with the spur gear when trying to reverse, laying on lid, and the best of all left hand turns
    Anyone read these things?

RC Qualifier
    Nice paint job!

I bought a Summit because I couldn't afford a 1:1 4x4! :P

As far as breakage, I broke the rear diff gear/shaft thingy and the lower left rear a-arm.
    JRx2, Mini-Z, MRC, Summit, Slash, Revo VXL, etc.

RC Competitor
    The common break is 5678 in the lockable diffs. The gear was manufactured wrong in the initial batches and is prone to break. If yours breaks contact Traxxas for a replacement and go & get 100K silicone oil form your local hobby shop so you can relube the diff when you replace the gear.

Beyond that the truck is very durable. It's not a speed demon or a competition crawler, but it is a great basher. Hit up Youtube for viedos on what people are doing with their Summit.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks you guys. I'll try not to unnecessarily abuse the diffs\shafts. Can't make any promises about the A-Arms.

RC Racer
    The paint looks good and I like how you matched the bead-locks

Nice job !!

RC Champion
    wow that paint looks slick on the summit.. get a pic of it on your 4runner there, that would be niceee
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    wow that paint looks slick on the summit.. get a pic of it on your 4runner there, that would be niceee
    That's a good idea, I'll do that this weekend. Assuming I can get the rig out on the trails, I typically avoid in the driveway shots if at all possible.

But, it's been raining alot here and our trails are in need of some maintenance, so I might not get to go wheelin' this weekend... dingit! Man! Grrrrrrrrr!

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    I bought a Summit because I couldn't afford a 1:1 4x4! :P
    Lol, same here man...
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    Not exactly on the 4runner, but close enough. I needed to knock a big rock over (starting to make a course for the summit) and decided to use the 4runner.

Once I knocked the rock over, I couldn't help but to drive up on it. After that, I knew I needed to get a summit\4runner shot!

RC Qualifier
    Now that is awesome!!!! Nice shot!!!
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    lol nice! big and mini unite at once! nice runner' and nice summit to match
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Qualifier
    We shall call him................Mini Me!!!!!
    "Lead, Follow, or get out of the way"

RC Qualifier
    You should change your screenname to "Greenwithenvy". That's a tight shot bro! thanks for sharing!
    Corrijo
    When the muds flyin, don't call me.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks you guys. Mini-me, greenwithenvy, all good ideas. I really should name then, I got some lettering for the Summit, so I'll at least be able to put "Dingman" on the back, like my 4Runner.