RC poster

Which Traxxas is the right one for us?

My 2 sons and I are looking into getting 3 complete offroad setups. At first I was hot for the E revo brushless but when you add in 3 Venom chargers and 3x4 Lipo batts the price is through the roof plus the wait time between runs would get old fast. I'm now considering going with the Rustler VXL but my son thinks the Slash would be the better choice.

We will not be racing these trucks but there is an offroad track close to home that is open to whoever wants to play around on it. We have a large backyard to build jumps in, several vacant lots on our street and a skatepark around the corner, so these trucks will spend 95% of the time bashing. We also plan on upgrading whatever we break so hop up parts availability should also be taken into consideration. Running in snow and mud will also be part of the fun. So I'm asking you Traxxas veterans which truck would be best for us to buy.

PS,I know buying the Venom and Lipos are pricey but I don't want to have to buy them down the road after buying cheaper electric gear now.

TIA

RC Champion
    Hi I owned all the traxxas electric off roads but the E-revo ,summit.... If you plan on going mudding and are not wanting to spend a bundle ...the rustler will be a good choice as you can always put bigger tires on it like stampede tire size and have the best of both worlds .... but if you like the truck look the stampede can't be beat at like $140.00 RTR and it's all water proof...also if you are going to go in wet stuff don't buy the brushless versions as you will just end up burning something up as they are not water proof....
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    The slash can take beating after beating. It is all water proof and all. You really don't need lipos just a good 7 cell battery. May I recomend the Onyx 230 charger it is capable of charging lipo and all other battery types.
    IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST
    Slash, N.pede,Revo

RC Champion
    i say the slash.. its waterproof, semi scale, and is just so addictivly fun. i dont know what it is but it makes me drive it 90% of time over my n rusty and e pede.
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    i say the slash.. its waterproof, semi scale, and is just so addictivly fun. i dont know what it is but it makes me drive it 90% of time over my n rusty and e pede.
    Yes the slash is fun to drive and i think because it looks cool doing so...but the others i spoke of above work better on dirt and low grass and mud and snow...reason why the slashes tires are thin and you lose alot of traction,,,,so for what he is talking about how he wants to run ...the slash won't be the best...
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    yea I like the Slash too..i've been running it more then my AE Monster GT...(and I love that thing)
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC Qualifier
    not trying to kiss up to Traxxas, but seriously any one of them are fun. My boys have stock Slash's and I have a brushless Slash. We have been bashing and going to the LHS to race on the dirt track.Tons of fun and to be honest here, the maintenance is a great learning tool for kids. Know what I mean!
    Depending on the ages of your boys, stay stock and you should go brushless with any model you decide to get. Invest in quality batteries and charges. If you go lipo, get a balancer-

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    go with the slash. very fun to drive and is very tough stock.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Competitor
    I have an E-Revo and a stampede, and while the E-Revo is awesome you are right in thinking that it's more effort. Double batteries, motors, charge time, servos... I would say go with the Slash and eventually get better tires and a brushless system.
    RoboPede: http://snowtiresrobot.blogspot.com/

RC Qualifier
    slash is fun and tough but rustler brushless are a blast with a few cheap upgrades
    Slash, Rustler VXl, Summit, erevo, lots of non trx

RC Qualifier
    i have had many traxxas vehicles, but i think i like my slash the most. it is a fun little truck to drive around. it does very well in stock form on a track or bashing at the skatepark, add a vxl and lipo you wont want to put this thing away i have gotten rid of many other models since owning my slash cause it fills all my needs. except my emaxx cause that was my first getting back into this hobby after 5yrs away
    "If it aint broke don't fix it"

RC Qualifier
    Since you have three to buy, I think you should get one of each Stampede VXL, Rustler VXL, and Slash, which will be VXL as soon as you burn it's brushed motor out on grass with a low battery. Share these trucks and swap them around between the three of you. VXL because, brushless are no maintenance units.

Hop them up with a simple swap of tires, the Rustler and Slash can become off-roaders and match what the Pede does. With lower tires and strapping the battery underneath, the Pede will keep up with the Rusty and Slash in the corners.

All three trucks share a lot of parts which will reduce your owership expenses when stocking parts for repairs or sharing upgrades.

For batteries use A123 4600mah units, these are pretty indestructible, charge fast, put out lots of current and more importantly last a long time. You will replace a dozen NiMh batteries for "fading" and "gassing a cell" before you replace even one A123 unit.

Good luck, sounds like you and your kids have some fun coming your way

RC Racer
    If you are just gonna bash the stampede vxl is way cool for jumping and wheelies and takes a beating. my wife loves her rustler with stampede tires(a little more stable and easier to drive). the slash is a good choice and will be a bit slower in stock form. all of these trucks use much of the same running gear so parts are easy to find and they are all very upgradeable
    stampede,rustler,slash & bandit vxls,mini-t,rc10t

RC Qualifier
    Man if you really like the revo that much you can find used setups on here for a good price. I bought my E-Maxx new and I won't buy new again. Depreciation on these things is through the roof.

RC Qualifier
    One of each.
    www.SoCal-RC.com

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ONTHEMOVE
    not trying to kiss up to Traxxas, but seriously any one of them are fun. My boys have stock Slash's and I have a brushless Slash. We have been bashing and going to the LHS to race on the dirt track.Tons of fun and to be honest here, the maintenance is a great learning tool for kids. Know what I mean!
    Depending on the ages of your boys, stay stock and you should go brushless with any model you decide to get. Invest in quality batteries and charges. If you go lipo, get a balancer-
    I agree, my son is working on his own truck now and learning more about set up.

RC Qualifier
    I like the one of each approach, some of the Slash and Rustler parts are interchangeable.
    E-Maxx-Dual KD700HOs, 5s
    (Rustler & SLASH too!)

RC Champion
    get a slash rustler and a stampede but if you have to get one get a slash
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    I've got 3 Rustlers, 1 Slash, and 1 Stampede. I like the Rustler's because they are all brushless, which makes the maintenance a little easier. I race my Rusty and the Slash. The Slash is a lot more fun to race, because it's a spec class so the action is close. The Stampede is used for just plain beating up. I'm in the process of converting it to the waterproof version now.

With that if I had to do all over from scratch, I would probably go with the Slash. I seem to have less parts to replace/fix. Even the stock shocks are still fine and don't leak..

I you go with the Slash, plan on replacing the Titan 12T motor with a good brushed ball bearing motor though. The Titan 12T motor is notorious for breaking very quickly.
    Turned to the dark side....

RC Competitor
    the slash all the way
    I LOVE TO BASH MY SLASH

RC Competitor
    I just got back into the hobby and went electric. I have had nitro buggys, several savages, revo, x-factor, stadium trucks, LSP, T maxx and more.. I ordered a slash and I am pretty happy with it. Not as fast stock as others but really fun. The somewhat scale body covering the tires did it for me! I also went with A123 batteries, I have 2 2300 9.9v packs and 2 4600 6.6v packs so far. They are very light so I made a Y harness to run them in parallel to double the run times. I also ended up ordering a Stampede VXL... Decided I wanted something fast too! Its not here yet but I am excited about it, my brother had an XL-1 pede and I liked that one, so I am sure the brushless one will be killer. Don't miss nitro yet either, the A123 batteries help, Can charge them fast and as often as you want, now I can run them pretty much non stop if I want to.

RC Champion
    Here is my .02 cents as someone who has owned a Stampede, Stampede VXL, Rustler, Bandit VXL, Emaxx 14.4, Emaxx 16.8, and now have a slash, Summit, and Erevo with a MMM.

If you are stickly bashing and have it narrowed down to the rustler/slash/stampede the slash would be my last option. The rustler handles better onroad and is more capable offroad due to the better wider tires. The stampede is the best of the three if you are strickly going to be offroad and beating the crap out of it. The slash really shines on flat dirt or on a race track and if that isnt where you are going to be running its not your best bet. The downfall of the Slash is the tires stink on grass, the truck barely moves. It also has some major body roll on pavement. It leans bad enough to pull the outside rear wheel off the pavement and unloads and the truck slows greatly.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 03-10-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Qualifier
    get a slash. my son and i love them. as for bigger tire on the stamped.....I have a set of masher 2000's. which are freakin' huge, and great for grass. throw on a set of chains and there's just no stoppin.
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...42/Temp008.jpg
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...42/Temp240.jpg
    Long live Duck Tape!

RC Champion
    While I love my Slash, My Stampede gets the biggest share of the run time. I have a VXL setup and after some mods, it is as durable as anything out there. It is probably the most versatile of the 3. I run mine on a track almost all the time (and I can give purpose built race trucks a good run) but it is equally at home in the back yard or the street. Yes, it does have higher center of gravity but is a monster truck after all and the trade off is worth it. The simplicity of all of them is a plus, more run time, less wrench time. I still prefer the 2 wheel drive trucks for that reason. I don't think you can necessarily go wrong with any of them but the Pede still gets my vote.

TR17
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC poster
    Go with the Slash I love mine, it just needs better tires. Here a pic of mine.

RC poster
    I would reccomend the Slash. If your sons get serious, or are pretty good drivers at the track, the stock slash class is a ton of fun to race.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian GP
    My 2 sons and I are looking into getting 3 complete offroad setups. At first I was hot for the E revo brushless but when you add in 3 Venom chargers and 3x4 Lipo batts the price is through the roof plus the wait time between runs would get old fast. I'm now considering going with the Rustler VXL but my son thinks the Slash would be the better choice.

We will not be racing these trucks but there is an offroad track close to home that is open to whoever wants to play around on it. We have a large backyard to build jumps in, several vacant lots on our street and a skatepark around the corner, so these trucks will spend 95% of the time bashing. We also plan on upgrading whatever we break so hop up parts availability should also be taken into consideration. Running in snow and mud will also be part of the fun. So I'm asking you Traxxas veterans which truck would be best for us to buy.

PS,I know buying the Venom and Lipos are pricey but I don't want to have to buy them down the road after buying cheaper electric gear now.

TIA
    Honestly, the pede XL-5 waterproof is the truck for you. While the slash is a great truck, it needs a dirt track. The pede tough, waterproof, easy to get parts, and cheap. It comes with a brushless ready transmission so it will be a snap to upgrade to brushless down the road.

BTW, if you take care of the stock titan, it will last a while. Break it in under water when you get the truck. Clean and oil it every couple runs. I have well over 50runs on my titan and it still runs strong.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Champion
    i've heard many times the under water break in is highly reccomended NOT to be done
    Fluttershy is best pony.

Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    Honestly, the pede XL-5 waterproof is the truck for you. While the slash is a great truck, it needs a dirt track. The pede tough, waterproof, easy to get parts, and cheap. It comes with a brushless ready transmission so it will be a snap to upgrade to brushless down the road.

BTW, if you take care of the stock titan, it will last a while. Break it in under water when you get the truck. Clean and oil it every couple runs. I have well over 50runs on my titan and it still runs strong.
    ALL the traxxas XL-5 vehicles are waterproof and have the brushless ready transmission. All the vehicles parts except the suspension arms from the bandit and the chassis are the same. All are great vehicles and all have part everywhere. It depends what you want to do.