RC Racer

Is 4WD worth it?

I've been looking around for a nitro car, and my friend let me borrow his Slayer for a while, and I decided I want it. But I've been reading that some people don't like it because it takes too much time to get it running right, and it's just not very good. I don't mind wrenching on them, that's not a problem for me. But I just wanna make sure that I get a good nitro car.
    Before the Slayer I was looking at the Nitro Rustler. Same speed, but the rustler is 2WD, and people say it's better than the Slayer. What do you guys think? I like the Slayer because it's 4WD, and it just moves so fast in the dirt. What are your opinions on the Slayer, Nitro Rustler; and what would you recommend for me?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Slash VXL
    Slash

RC Champion
    id say go 4wd...

my rustler breaks down way more than my revo... and i bash my revo really really hard!

all the rustler gets is a quick start up every so often now, then it breaks LOL... and the revo is driven WAY MORE!
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After reading your post i have only 1 word..

REVO 3.3
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Champion
    ^ i second that... revo is better than the slayer in some ways like the scale look...

but the revo is a little slower... but who cares about that lil 5 mph... except for peopl, trying to break records.... lol.... but revo or slayer...
    ☻/ |
    /▌ |
    / \ |

RC Racer
    I think I'm going with the Slayer. I like working on engines, the Slayer is a lot of fun at the open dirt fields.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Slash VXL
    Slash

RC Qualifier
    but the revo is a little slower... but who cares about that lil 5 mph... except for peopl, trying to break records.... lol.... but revo or slayer...
    u do realize that the slayer is a full 3lbs lighter than the revo? the reason that the slayer only goes 5mph faster is because it is geared down for track running. the slayer has explosive acceleration and can easly pull higher gears and reach speeds close to 60mph
    2-strokes: it aint fast unless u mix the gas.

RC Competitor
    I have a nitro rustler and a slayer ...hands down the slayer is faster , handles and jumps better(off road) it generally is more fun to play with. The rustler is a great truck as well but really in it's own class 2wd. I will say both are very reliable for the beatings that these trucks take.

RC Qualifier
    hey elviss, im two days im about to have te same setup as u (slayer nrustler.) my slayer will be hear on wednesday. how much faster is a slayer that a rustler?

RC Racer
    it all depends on the gearing. and if you want a fast slayer get a new engine for it... jato over rustler any day
    Slayer with Picco .26
    want a jato!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblack
    hey elviss, im two days im about to have te same setup as u (slayer nrustler.) my slayer will be hear on wednesday. how much faster is a slayer that a rustler?

As far as the MPH not real sure as they both are pretty fast at top speed. On the track that we have raced/played on here lately thank's to the warm weather the slayer just accelerates faster and handles the jumps and rough terrain better. The 4wd helps a lot as the track has a lot of loose dirt and the rustler has to be eased into the throttle a lot more than the slayer. Also some of the jumps are pretty rough for the rustler as this track is designed for 1/8th scale and ground clearance on the rustler in the rythum sections cause it to drag bottom sometimes. The slayer is a blast to drive in the correct conditions(dirt) and a nightmare if you force it to go on asphalt and high traction areas.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblack
    the reason that the slayer only goes 5mph faster is because it is geared down for track running. the slayer has explosive acceleration and can easly pull higher gears and reach speeds close to 60mph
    Geared down? You got it all wrong. The slayers final drive ratio is 10.05-1 the Revos final drive is 18.03-1 and wide ratio is 15.22-1.. LOL, the wide ratio on the revos "final drive gear" is almost like the slayers 1st gear.. Thats the reason why it's faster, that along with the weight. They both play a roll..

EDIT:: I have 2 revos and a buddy of mine owns 2 slayers. I can dust him on any track, anytime, anywhere simply because the slayer cannot handle the corners like the revo can. The slayer is a roll happy r/c. Put the Revo arms on that 2.5 chassis and now we have a race..
    Last edited by got_nitro; 03-10-2009 at 07:33 AM.

RC Competitor
    Keep in mind that the slayer and revo are not in the same class. The slayer has the short a frames for a reason . It is a scale replica unlike the revo so no comparison. It is like comparing a sprint car to a indy car both fast and exciting but again 2 different vehicles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elviss
    Keep in mind that the slayer and revo are not in the same class. The slayer has the short a frames for a reason . It is a scale replica unlike the revo so no comparison. It is like comparing a sprint car to a indy car both fast and exciting but again 2 different vehicles.
    Thanks for the obvious info , That last part was kinda for the OP being that he was compairing the slayer to a 2wd rusty. Thought i would keep it real "4x4 wise" with the Revo..

RC Competitor
    Your welcome for the obvious info. Never seen a Nitro revo on the track but a friend has a E revo actually quite fast until the batteries start going down.

RC Qualifier
    you forgetting the revos massive tires

RC Qualifier
    Sorry- misread a post.
    Last edited by R-maxX 19; 03-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    ERBE ~ Rusty VXL ~ Pede VXL ~ 2 Slash 4X4's

RC Champion
    besides my rustler,i will never buy another rc car without 4wd
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....