RC Champion

Why dont stock clutches last in my Revo?

They only clutch that can survive more than 2 hrs on my Revo is the M2C clutch set up. Here's the history. End of last summer I started having problems with going thru clutches. I've changed the bearings, adjusted the shims, new flywheels and clutch bells, with the same results. First I was ripping the ends off the clutch. Went from trailing to leading edge. Now the material that hit the front of the clutchbell is mushrooming and the springs dont last. I bought countless 2 shoe clutches(you name it I had it), same result. Whats the problem? I know I can put the M2C in and be fine but why is this happening.I never put the composite shoes in clutchbells that I ran aluminium in. The only thing I'm doing different is my slipper is locked down. Has anyone been thru this. Cause I cant get 5 tanks out of a 2 shoe clutch, even with the Picco max .26 it was the same thing.
    The 2 clutches from top right, I when thru yesterday

Go Patriots!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    We had our differences in the past.. Thats gone

What helped me out "cause i had a simular problem with mine" is i went to a lighter spring so it would engage quicker/faster/ less wear. I didnt like it so i went back to the stock spring and gave a 3/4 turn out on the slipper from almost locked and tweeked it back and forth till i found an happy medium. I have not had it out till yesterday lol when my C/B bearings took a crap on me..
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Qualifier
    just get the integy aluminum clutch shoes thats what im running right now and they last forever! or until the spring breaks lol
    Last edited by Show Time; 03-09-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    FEEDBACK
    +12/-0
    AND GROWING EVERYDAY=)

RC Champion
    ya i had the same problem with the stockers now i use the aluminum 2 shoe set up from integy and have a gallon on them with no problems.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Champion
    I'm really thinking locking the slipper is the problem. Thats the only thing that I haven't changed. As far as springs, I'm just using stock. I'm just curious as to why this is going on. Does any have there slipper locked without clutch problems?
    Go Patriots!

RC Champion
    yeah, you shouldn't have your slipper locked first of all, installation may be the second problem. are you putting the spring on the shoes, then placing the shoes over the pins and then inserting something small into the holes so that the spring will then slide over the pin allowing the shoes to set down. I have sets of the Traxxas shoes that never broke, just wore down to nothing running a BB and a Picco 26, it's all in the installation and maintenance
    REVO 3.3, LRP Z28, BUKU, RMV Speed 3 Auto clutch

RC Qualifier
    I think locking the slipper is definately the issue. Think about it, with the give of the slipper gone, all the pressure is now on the clutchbell shoes and spring. That's the only place in the drive line that now has any give, and would go quickly under those circumstances. I'll bet you unloack it and adjust it in the normal manner, and problem will be solved.
    3.3 Revo Picco.26 FOC 17/36/WIDE P2 50WT Grn/Tan

RC Champion
    Yeah that what I have to do. I cant get a good take off without limiting the throttle. Going to back off slipper. Hopefully the snow is gone soon, so I can report back.
    Go Patriots!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Show Time
    just get the integy aluminum clutch shoes thats what im running right now and they last forever! or until the spring breaks lol
    IN the first pic you can see the Integy Flywheel between the M2C flywheel and Traxxas BB flywheel with shoes above the M2C. You can see the spring which is melted to the shoes. Not Good That happened in one weekend. I would never recommend those. The metal is too soft. I've tried every 2 shoe clutch out there. This has been a problem since last summer. I don ask for advice on here to often.
    Go Patriots!

RC poster
    a tight slipper clutch will make the main clutch slip longer and build more heat......among other things equally unpleasant if left unchanged. melting spring and shoes is a dead giveaway your slipping too much on the main clutch..is idle to high, poor tune, oil accidentally get in clutch....are all things to double check. It's not the clutches, it's what you are subjecting them to...Isolate that fault and you'll have your clutch problem go away.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you never tried running the shoes backward(inverted..), go ahead and i guarantee you will not have this problem anymore.

It will handle a lot of power, i ran this setup with a Stage 2 Picco .28 for an entire summer on the same clutch.
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Champion
    I run a stock savage clutch and it works alot better than the stock 2 shoe setup.
    2010 www.montecarloss.co.nr

RC Champion
    I have found that if you run a larger CB, you need a lighter spring to keep the clutch shoes ingaged better. try running the stock shoes reversed and lightly stretch out the stock spring by hand so there is less tension before you install the spring. also, the M2C clutch hard with yellow or black springs works great with my Picco and 18/36 gears.
    _
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    If you never tried running the shoes backward(inverted..), go ahead and i guarantee you will not have this problem anymore.

It will handle a lot of power, i ran this setup with a Stage 2 Picco .28 for an entire summer on the same clutch.
    I keep read you had yours for a whole summer. 'm just doing something wrong. the clutches are getting destroyed from stress.The one on the left in the bottom pic were ran inverted. The one on the right ....well the whole sp[eak for their self The spring was distorted with composite material all over it. The pic didnt come out too good. That clutch is junk now. Inverted I got 2 and a half tanks before it stall and I called it quits. I do have 2 1/8 scale setups. Just put the RR flywheel on to see if there was a difference in acceleration between it and the M2C. I'm going to change the Slipper from RRP back to stock and back it off and see what happens. Nitro Sport I have 2 Savage clutchbells in the first pic. 18 and 20 tooth. I just change my Revo around, all the time out of boredom. BTW thanks everyone for your input. It was greatly appreciated.
    Go Patriots!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hope you get it fix
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLRevo
    I'm really thinking locking the slipper is the problem. Thats the only thing that I haven't changed. As far as springs, I'm just using stock. I'm just curious as to why this is going on. Does any have there slipper locked without clutch problems?
    this sounds familiar.....u have a stage-2 mill, right? was the .26 maxx cut?? and u have ran a nice amount of fuel thru it right?? well my dude, ur engine has prolly come to life now!!!(das how it popped off 4 me) i had the same issue w/the.28XZ. shoes werent lasting 3min!! had to install the Fioroni. been all good since then few of my dudes ran the WERKS adj clutch but they eventually wore down too. neva suggested one for the REVO but i dont think u have a choice right now.may have to research a lil bit bout REVO/Picco installation
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13236

this was just one set of shoes....check out the CB also
    Last edited by jusleanit; 03-11-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Champion
    I heated up my motor, almost half tank. Then drove around. Noticed my clutch was slipping and walked to the Revo. Gave it gas then a big spark came out the clutch bell. This is what I found The clutch is gone. Worn out and nothing left inside but white residue. This is less than a tank.

he beaing was a brand new blue shielded before the tank

Go Patriots!

RC Champion
    Wow. That's some serious wear. I don't know what to say except that maybe you should back off on the slipper a little. No doubt that is increasing the wear on your clutch shoes. Upgrading to a nicer 3 or 4 shoe clutch would also help, I think. If you find you need to tighten down the slipper with a two shoe clutch, it's because the shoes aren't locking up - perhaps not so much the slipper, slipping, as the clutch shoes slipping. Two shoes may not be enough to transfer the power effectively.

Loosen the slipper up some (back to stock, or just a little tighter) and then get a three shoe clutch in there.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC Racer
    In the pic I can see that you blued the clutch bell, that is from the clutch slipping and over heating. Put a clutch back into your Revo, put your truck on a wood block or stand or somthing else that will keep the wheels off the ground and start the engine. If the wheels start turning on their own then turn down your idle speed till the wheels stop moving on their own. then back off your slipper clutch 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn.

RC poster
    yeah i am having the same problems, were the clutch shoes are braking on the holes were they are attatched to the flywheel. Also i no somebody else who is again having the same problem with their Revo. I really cant understand this as i have had no
    problems with my jato's clutch shoes ever???????
    Last edited by Ash5308; 05-04-2009 at 12:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Same thing happened to me with the Picco. I have been running them reversed with fewer problems. I just seem to wear them out quick.

_
    /_/._ _ _
    / //_ /_ /_/

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicpunk
    Same thing happened to me with the Picco. I have been running them reversed with fewer problems. I just seem to wear them out quick.

Mine break exactly the same as that, im on my 7th set now. Ive replaced flywheel, c/b bearings,clutch bell and spur. Slipper clutch isnt too tight either. I have no idea what to do next!!!
    Revo 3.3

RC Champion
    Savage 3 shoe clutch. Im starting to wreck clutch springs/shoes with the picco now. Im going to give the savage shoes a try.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by reddotrevo111
    Savage 3 shoe clutch. Im starting to wreck clutch springs/shoes with the picco now. Im going to give the savage shoes a try.

will the hpi savage 3 shoe clutch outlast traxxas clutches??
    Revo 3.3

RC Qualifier
    I'm still on the original clutch that came with truck, I did turn it leading edge but this clutch has seen 1 gallon w/ 3.3 (before I had runaway and destroyed engine) and am now just shy of my 2nd gallon on picco max. It has given me no probs and I feel fortunate after reading this post and others on the subject
    Revo .26 Picco / RC8 .21 Jammin

RC Champion
    Souster, it is a 3 shoe setup with individual springs so im guessing so.

RC Champion
    JL, we race with stock clutches all the time and never unload one. I will check it after every race to see how shiny or flat the spring is but thats all. Awesome hook and power with no problems.
    2009 Florida State Monster Truck Champion
    RBMods

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pntmachine
    JL, we race with stock clutches all the time and never unload one. I will check it after every race to see how shiny or flat the spring is but thats all. Awesome hook and power with no problems.
    I have other clutches but to me the stock has the best engagement. I ride the clutch alot which is the cause of most of my problems. If you ever seen my little video you can see and hear it. BTW thanks. I kind of glad its just not me. Not wishing bad luck on anyone
    Go Patriots!

RC Qualifier
    I run itegy 3 shoe clutches on my revo 3.3 and jato 3.3. The stockers failed after the first 3 tanks on both engines. Now after 3 gallons they are still fine and realtively cheap to replace. I think i paid 7 bucks for each.... Yes its integy but still..... Better than stock clutches IMO.

RC Champion
    I heard those integy ones melt to the inside of your clutchbell :/

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reddotrevo111
    I heard those integy ones melt to the inside of your clutchbell :/

Never had that problem. Im not exactly sure how you can melt aluminum to the inside of your clutch bell like that. It have to be super super hot to my knowlede.

RC Champion
    I may have to pick one up at my lhs for under $20 and give them a try then.
    If i get the M2C setup do i want
    http://www.m2cracing.com/product.sc?...&productId=213
    or
    http://www.m2cracing.com/product.sc?...&productId=174