RC Racer

I think Nitro isn't for me... Slayer will be up for auction soon

I read early that to enjoy this hobby, one needs to enjoy tinkering, constantly maintaining, and repairing the things that break. My journey into nitro has been expensive and not very enjoyable. I will be auctioning off my slayer, as I cannot stand the frustration any longer.

Latest thing to break is the EZ start system. yes, garbage by many folks account.

Packed up the Slayer today into a backpack, wife on horse, we head out to a nice wash clearing area. She continues to ride, while I ready the fun to begin.

Whirrr, Whirr, whirr.... Sound of a EZ start free spinning. I spend about 45 minutes sitting on a rock, contemplating why I didn't bring the Slash instead...

So, If anyone is seriously interested in the following slayer, PM me and we'll work out something:

Slayer
    Picco .26 maxx, barely barely ran, broken in right (I seriously broke it in and ran it on track for about 15 minutes)
    sway bar kit
    revo center diff
    rear brake kit
    JR Z9100T steering servo
    Proline switch
    Proline beadlocks.
    RPM axle carriers with HD bearings
    Steel hex bolts for wheels
    Double blacks on rear
    Rear moved to front.

Bag of repair parts.

At this point, the only other option is to convert it to an E-Slayer, as I swear, the only thing I drive is the Slash, because I'm just too much of a n00b (feel rather humiliated actually) for nitro.

Lemme ask, how much and how hard is an E-Slayer conversion?

You're gonna need a bigger boat...

RC Racer
    Dont let the Slayer leave a bitter taste in your mouth. They are all not that bad. If you pull off the E-Z Start from the motor and spray some WD-40 into the bearing on the starter it will work again for a while. Frustrating i know.

I am right behind you though. I have the T-MAXX 3.3, Jato 3.3, Nitro Sport and recently picked up the Slayer. My Slayer is going up for sale too. HATE this truck horribly, not having any fun with it at all. I picked up an HPI Savage yesterday and its a load of fun. I love driving the rest even though they are tempremental and alot of parts breaking maintaining. But with the bitter taste left behind from this Slayer I will never buy another Traxxas vehicle again.

Check out some of the other Nitro RC cars out there. They are a blast, or my favorite so far is my Jato. FAST and after you eliminate all the Traxxas parts and put on hop-up parts its a blast to drive.

Sorry bud....
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 03-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.

RC Racer
    You guys really don't like the Slayer? What about it don't you like, cause I've had my buddies Slayer at my house for a while, and I really love it. So much that I'm getting one next week. I just wanna know what to look out for.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Slash VXL
    Slash

RC Qualifier
    wow u sure have alot into your slayer for not liking nitro.....
    2-strokes: it aint fast unless u mix the gas.

RC Racer
    I never said I didn't like it... I said it was quite possible that it wasn't for me.

Let me clarify. It is my favorite truck, hands down. When i do run it, it is a blast. Maybe I'm learning that my style is more of an occasional basher. Slash gets around 500% more use. Just drop in a bettery and gone. No noise so neighbors don't fuss...

RC Racer
    oh okay, thanks.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Slash VXL
    Slash

i know what you mean bro. i work on my slayer a crap load more than i do with my rustler. when i get fed up with the slayer i go play with the rusty and leave the slayer for another day. when something's not broken it's a blast to run, and then something else breaks. i almost wonder if i should have gotton an SC8.

or you could just dump the EZ and get a pull start. that's what i'll do when the EZ craps out.

RC Champion
    i havent talked to one person in this hobby no matter what brand they owned that doesnt have problems,its exactly like cars,chevy,ford,toyota,dodge,they are all made by man,you are going to have problems,you gotta look at what we do to these things,thats the fun of it,i slammed into rocks,dirt clods,off the side of a hill rolling,high speed collisions with the underside of my truck,its a tough toy but i did break a header,dont leave the hobby for a little frustration,nobody ever said it was gonna be cheap,stick with it butterman,greg
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Competitor
    For me, im loving the slayer, i have both the slayer and the slash, the slash is alot easier, and also alot quicker to take out for a drive.. but.. i must say, its not as fun as the slayer.. I enjoy to drive the slayer more then i enjoy the slash, but the slash gets more run time simply coz its easier to run.. slap a battery in, and go..

Im looking to buy another slayer, or possibly a SC8 though.. I love the looks of it.
    Traxxas Slayer and Slash, Thunder Tiger Silver Fox

RC Qualifier
    I like my slayer but im having to do some upgrades that i think traxxas should have done from the factory.
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

RC Racer
    I personally am just so frustrated with the truck, thats why it would be best for me to sell it as well and have fun with something else. This weekend we had about 15 of us out at the track we built. 2 of us have the Slayer, and the other guy broke 2 carriers, driveline, and finished it off when he broke a lower arm. I spent most of the day fighting the handling on this truck and getting my butt handed to me by everyone out there untill I lost my upper arm. Thank god I bought aluminum front carriers or I would have been parked much sooner with him. But I decided the throw the slayer back in the truck and broke out the JATO and destroyed everyone once again.

My frustration is the handling mostly, and its a complicated truck and takes time I understand. But my anger comes from the fact that my $250 Nitro Sport holds up much better. Spend twice as much and break 5 times the amount of parts. My cheap little Sport moves fast enough to keep up, but more importantly is its fun and your not fixing it EVERY time you use it. My friend who owns the other Slayer is now selling it to one of his friends, he gives up as well...

RC Competitor
    i have given my truck alot of abuse, i only lose some e clips once in a while, and on a serious impact with a rock the front bulkhead got a minor crack. Still very much drivable and i drove another hour after that crash with the rock.. im amazed how much abuse the slayer can take.. im very happy with it so far, except for the e clips. thats the only thing i can really say is bad on it. In terms of racing buggies and truggies and what not, well, it might not be as fast and speed around corners like those due to much more narrow arms, and smaller wheels. If ur looking to compete with those on the local track, i dont think the slayer is the one for you, a revo would be a better choice. And you can convert the slayer to a revo quite easily.
    Traxxas Slayer and Slash, Thunder Tiger Silver Fox

RC Racer
    Skauber...

I was looking into that last night. Is it just a matter or replacing arms and wheels and such? If anyone has done this I would be very interested in getting any info I can... This truck is suppose to be a short course race truck which sounded perfect for my use. But it seems much too narrow to me, accelerate out of a turn and it will just lay over on its roof as soon as it grabs some traction. In the areas of our track that went dry the truck was great, get that power to the ground and it finds itself on its roof way too fast. If I have to upgrade a bunch of parts to get it to hold I might as well convert it to something that will handle better for me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterwj
    Whirrr, Whirr, whirr.... Sound of a EZ start free spinning. I spend about 45 minutes sitting on a rock, contemplating why I didn't bring the Slash instead...
    OWB...One way bearing, thats all.. Just take the 4 bolts off the back plate and remove the cheezy starter. The OWB will fall out in your hand. Just clean it up and put it back on with the letters out..

That happens all the time with all of the nitros.. Dont get all bent out of shape and let it leave a bad taste in your mouth about nitros. Nitro residue gets in all OWB's and does that to them.. No biggie!!

EDIT:: OOPS, Cheezy starters only have 3 bolts to take off to remove it..

Quote Originally Posted by nobody u know
    Dont let the Slayer leave a bitter taste in your mouth. They are all not that bad. If you pull off the E-Z Start from the motor and spray some WD-40 into the bearing on the starter it will work again for a while. Frustrating i know.
    After rereading this thread ^^ he got it right before me.. OOPS again.. srry "nuk"
    Last edited by got_nitro; 03-09-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by sicsam
    I like my slayer but im having to do some upgrades that i think traxxas should have done from the factory.
    "cough" driveline "cough" carriers "cough"

plus you gotta remember, it's a freakin heavy truck when you wreck it somethings gonna break. you get all that weight moving and slam it into something it's like dropping a sledgehammer on your foot, it'll prob break your foot, somethings gotta give.

RC Qualifier
    how much luck did you have with the 3.3? I know you said you hated the maintence, but maybe that picco was the culprit. If i only had the cash to snag it from you. And as for a e-slayer conversion. Just about any conversion for the Revo will work. Some guys at the local track run a Teckno conversion, and the sweet thing is that is uses a nitro clutch to even fine tune the power. Those massive batteries and monster motors just spin those tires, so having some control is key
    Last edited by NitroBurner9; 03-09-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning.

RC Racer
    You can pick up the teckno kit for $100 bucks and run a MMM in it without the nitro clutch bell on it, you just have to learn to control the throttle a little.
    Here is a link

http://www.teknorc.com/product_info....roducts_id=935

and a link to the motors

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html
    Last edited by TXSuperman2005; 03-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSuperman2005
    You can pick up the teckno kit for $100 bucks and run a MMM in it without the nitro clutch bell on it, you just have to learn to control the throttle a little.
    Here is a link

http://www.teknorc.com/product_info....roducts_id=935

and a link to the motors

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...a_monster.html
    i converted my slayer to an e-slayer. i went with the tekno kit. i chose not to use the Elektri-Clutch clutch bell adapter and purchased a long shank pinion instead.

i installed tekno sways, changed out my shock oil to 50wt, put the stock rear springs in the front, and 2.3 springs in the rear. This made a huge difference. I also sprayed wd40 on the front and rear hinge pins so the a-arms will actually move when there are no shocks attached.

i actually had fun for the first time at the track.
    southern california, socal-rc.com, go now you will

RC Racer
    Yeah I am waiting for my 3.3 motor to die and then its getting switched over too. Can't wait either, I gather from your sig that your using the 2200kv motor. Is it too much for the truck or do you think that the 2650 would be a better motor for that truck?

RC Champion
    I did not even try mine as a nitro. I went electric from day one. Still a frustrating POS to drive.

RC Racer
    Mines been pretty easy to drive so far and I am sure it will get better once I put the sway bar kit in it. Right now its got heavier springs on all 4 corners and a long travel kit in the front with P3 rockers in the rear.

RC Champion
    If nitro is out, get the MMM 2200 combo and run 5s lipo on it. Perfect voltage for that motor kv IMO for long and cool running. For the conversion kit, there is the Tekno or the RC-Monster method. You can also mod the tranny so it is only one speed (allows using motor for brakes and reverse so you don't need those servos), yet will go plenty fast enough.

I'm sure you could sell some of the nitro-specific stuff to recoup some cash...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    another vote for a mamba. why tinker with nitro when you can slap in a lipo and hit 60mph.

RC Champion
    first of all there is nothing on these trucks that takes more than 20 or 30 minutes to replace or fix,get a pit box,have some spare stuff handy,extra tools,etc and just have fun,i gotta have the noise and smoke of nitro,going to a nascar electric car race would be a stone cold bummer to me,same with electric rc cars,i dont want to say quit whining, but give it some time to learn the nitro engines and how to drive to reduce part breakage,id bet you can go to any rc racetrack and the oldtimers will tell you the same thing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadmanslayer46
    first of all there is nothing on these trucks that takes more than 20 or 30 minutes to replace or fix,get a pit box,have some spare stuff handy,extra tools,etc and just have fun,i gotta have the noise and smoke of nitro,going to a nascar electric car race would be a stone cold bummer to me,same with electric rc cars,i dont want to say quit whining, but give it some time to learn the nitro engines and how to drive to reduce part breakage,id bet you can go to any rc racetrack and the oldtimers will tell you the same thing.
    actually, the speed and power that my erevo with brushless has convinced the old timers to run brushless too, but they are slow to convert

RC Champion
    yeah ,the owners at my lhs have gone electric,they say its easier,im speaking purely for me and hoping to discourage anybody from being discouraged with nitro,maybe when i get a little older i will convert who knows?

i will admit that the new age electronics are just as fast if not faster than nitro. my VXL rustler will absolutely fly. it's amazing what technology we have today. when my dad bought the rustler for me all they had were crappy mechanical speed controls and were slower than crap. i updated it to VXL specs and my jaw hit the dirt.

and yes elecs are easier to fool with than nitro. but i'm an RC lover and i have the best of both worlds. i love them all.

RC Racer
    The difference I see in my slash and the slayer, is that the Slayer just has so much more power, it accelerates better, and it's a lot more fun than the Slash. The slash is fun, but I really like the slayer so much more.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/16 Slash VXL
    Slash

RC Racer
    Problem with the Slayer though is with that extra power when you hit the gas and go it goes right up over onto its roof just as soon as it grabs some fresh dirt. Battery is easier on maintaining it, but I love gas... The whole fun of going till I run out of fuel, fill it up and go again is what I love. No "charge" time really and the best part is the lower my gas tank gets my truck stays the same, the lower a battery goes the slower you go.
    I just wanna go fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_u_know
    the lower a battery goes the slower you go.
    not with lipos. they go all the way until the lvc kicks in then your done. my rusty is a beast from the time i plug the lipo in all the way up to lvc.

but they do get slower with NIMH when they run down.

RC Champion
    To avoid the "spirited" age-old nitro vs electric debate, I would just find someone local who has a brushless converted Revo (because after all, the Slayer is a modded Revo really), and just draw your own conclusions after you see it run. If there's no one local, just watch a few videos on youtube, or go check out the Revo section at RC-Monster.com to see the conversions there.

I will say that there ARE weaknesses in the stock nitro tranny you'll need to address or you WILL break it. Those are convered in a sticky (made by yours truly) in the Revo section of the site mentioned above.

Even if you do convert the Slayer to BL, you'll still be tinkering to fix diffs and driveshafts due to the extra power (unless you set the ESC for a more gentle operation), but at least you won't have the starting trouble or any of the other nitro-specific issues. Just get a couple of battery packs and have fun!

RC Champion
    you,ll never get me to turn to the dark side,never,never,never

RC Racer
    I don't have one but is the slayer the same as the revo.I had a revo for 4 years and beat the crape out of it.Only thing i broke after 3 years was the motor mount.

RC Champion
    one other thing,if you look at the pictures in the slayer gallery,most of them look like the guys have the suspensions set way up high, i may be wrong but a high center of gravity is one sure way to end up flipping and breaking stuff you wouldnt normally break

RC Qualifier
    I dont own a Slayer, But I do own a slash and I have owned a Revo 3.3. I think if I was in your situation I would convert to electric. I love the ease of electric, but I love the setup of the slayer. Im pretty sure if I bought a Slayer, I wouldnt even run the engine even once. Straight to electric. And if you love the slayer that much than why not convert. Plus that way you will have a Pro-2 and a Pro-4 Just my 2 cents.
    -Bob-

RC Qualifier
    just like the title says, maybe it isn't for you, if you don't love tinkering and working on engines or tweaking things switch to electric. I know i'm the opposite, i don't get any satisfaction from working on my emaxx but love working on my nitro trucks, the smell, sound, power, realism. i also love working on 1:1 cars but to each his own.

anyways, if you don't like nitro don't sell it, convert it(sell off the engine and arms and junk for extra cash). that way like dodge said, you'll have a pro 2 and 4 and you'll have a backup truck to use if one takes a crap.

what ever you do have fun and good luck.
    Last edited by JustChillin; 03-10-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSuperman2005
    Yeah I am waiting for my 3.3 motor to die and then its getting switched over too. Can't wait either, I gather from your sig that your using the 2200kv motor. Is it too much for the truck or do you think that the 2650 would be a better motor for that truck?
    yes, i am using the 2200kv motor. I run it on 3s and 4s. there are a couple tracks i have gone too and 4s will clear jumps 1/8 buggies are clearing. I can run this truck all day(temp: high 60's-low 70's) and the motor stays around 90-95deg and the esc around 95-100deg. i would buy this motor again.
    southern california, socal-rc.com, go now you will

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog
    yes, i am using the 2200kv motor. I run it on 3s and 4s. there are a couple tracks i have gone too and 4s will clear jumps 1/8 buggies are clearing. I can run this truck all day(temp: high 60's-low 70's) and the motor stays around 90-95deg and the esc around 95-100deg. i would buy this motor again.
    Thanks bdog, I wasn't sure which one would be better to run but talking to a few differant people everyones seems to be running or would run that 2200kv motor over the 2650kv motor.

RC Racer
    Went away for a couple of days to cool off and approach from a level headed stance.

No way I'd drop electric in there, as I opted for a nitro replacement with the Picco. night and day between picco and trx motors.

I'll be looking into EZ start options real soon

RC Qualifier
    I feel you guys.... This hobby is FUN very very very FUN. Since i got back into it 6 months ago ive bought a redcat avalanche xp, revo 3.3, jato 3.3, e-revo for water fun and today my heli arrives... I dont wanna think about how much ive spent. I got back into this hobby so i can get out of my real car hobby for a while but this hobby has taken over my life, **** near ruined my relationship with the gf, and sucked my pockets dry. Its a pain in the butt more than anything but it still amazes me the technology thats gone into these things since i was into it 6 years ago. My revo is the TOUGHEST truck ive ever owned. She takes a beating and just begs for more. At times i want to get rid of them but unfortunately ill be losing so much money it would just be worth it to stop playing with them and leave them on the shelf. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. So the slayer is a POS?