RC Enthusiast

battery pack/charger issues - false peaks or wont charge

I have 3 sets of GP3300s (7 cell) battery packs that I am having a hard time with. Perhaps they are done for, but looking for some advice before I scrap the cells or the charger.

They were sitting unused for about a year. I pulled them out and charged them on a MRC superbrain 969. They only took about a 400MAH-600MAH charge, plugged them into a visionpeak and it saw them at 25%. Charged them individually on this charger ran them.(decent run time) On the next cycle they took about 2500MAH charge on the MRC, used them again and after about 4 cycles they were taking a full 3300MAH charge again.

This was about 2 weeks ago, pulled them out again and same thing. First charge aprox 600MAH, second 1500MAH, and now on the 3rd cycle currently at 2200MAH and still going. The vision peak only shows 25%-50% charge and the are showing 10.4V on the multimeter after the 1500MAH charge.

Any advice is much appreciated!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They need to be "zapped" via a high volt/high amp power-supply to disolve all the crystals that have grown between the plates inside the cells. Do you know how? If not, I can walk you through it...
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Enthusiast
    No, I dont know how

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok...

[1] Do you have a mig welder?
    [2] What kind of power-supply do you have?
    [3] Does your charger have a built-in power-supply?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Ok...

[1] Do you have a mig welder?

I'm only laughing because I actually thought...."sounds like a good reason to go out and buy a new tool/machine"

RC Enthusiast
    [1] Do you have a mig welder? - Not yet..
    [2] What kind of power-supply do you have? 300W ATX computer power supply "converted" for the MRC and future lipo charger.
    [3] Does your charger have a built-in power-supply? one does, the vision peak. However, I do have a 12V car battery charger handy. (saw a video while searching for zap a battery, also have a couple 12V batteries for ergotron computer carts, not sure the amperage).

RC Enthusiast
    do have a volt meter as well, guessing it is going to be a bit more complicated that just blindly zaping them with a power source...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nope...simply set your PS for max voltage and max amperage, attach negative cable to negative terminal on battery, then tap the positive cable against the positive terminal on the battery 8 to 10 times. You should see the little sparks popping. After 8 or 10 pops, hold the positives together for about 5 seconds, then repeat...I usually repeat a total of 5 times. This will release the crystaline deposits inside the battery and desolve them, and you will have a semi-charged battery. All you have to do is discharge the pack and then cycle it 2 or 3 times and it will be back to at least 90% of it's original voltage & capacity!