RC Competitor

Weakness in the front skid plate..

Hi!

I was out driving on a dirt field today with some jumps and stuff, took some hits to the front and when i came home, i notice the front part of the front skid plate was hanging from one screw. I took it off and the skid plate itself was ok, but the screw holes it attached to was cracked.. And it looks like its screwed in to the front diff case, so i would have to get a new diff case to fix this.. I see that if the two parts of the front skid plate had been only one part, I doubt that this would happen.. Is there any reason why its divided into two parts? And is it possible to buy a front skid plate that is combines the two parts into one solid part? I know there is a aluminum one, but i would like to have a black plastic one.. I imagine the aluminum transfers too much energy into the chassis, instead of flexing like the plastic one. Has anyone else had this happening?

Lars
    Traxxas Slayer and Slash, Thunder Tiger Silver Fox

RC Champion
    ive broken a couple of rear skid plates where its says trx,and bent a few fnts but never cracked the fnt bulkhead before,i know there are tons of aftermarket skid plates that will fit because the 2.5 revo and slayers are the same
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Competitor
    I hit the front skid plate quite hard when i missed on a jump and hit a rock laying on the side of the jump.. Im amazed that nothing else broke on that hit, and its understandable that something broke on the skid plate. But from what i can see, if the two front parts had been in one piece, i dont think even this would happen in that crash. But i've gotta hand it to the truck, it can really take a beating. They're really built to take some serious abuse..

Lars

i would think if it was one plastic piece it would transfer the shock of the hit into your steering components and the servo linkages. but i dunno i could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    You have a point there.. Im looking at the Integy skid plate, but im not a fan of aluminum on things that will take hits. It will bend, instead of flexing, and it will transfer the shock into the chassis, bulk head and servo linkage, and potentially mess up alot of things on impact..

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...740&p_catid=73

I think i most likely will just buy a new stock bulkhead and skid plate set for the front.. Aluminum parts for this wont be good for a running car, its best for a shelf queen

Lars

aluminum would just amplify the shock i would think not to mention added weight. aluminum is only good in certain areas like possibly the transmission guard and if they made aluminum slayer bulks. i wonder if the revo 2.5 or 3.3 (if there is any) alum bulks would work i'd look into that.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-08-2009 at 06:34 PM.

RC Qualifier
    ive actually heard that integy isnt the best company for aluminum. my dad has a integy front skid on his revo and its totally bent and he doesnt drive crazy at all.
    2-strokes: it aint fast unless u mix the gas.

i've heard that some integy parts ok and others are junk. i've never used any but i've heard more complaints than anything that's why i've never had any. prob wont get any either.

RC Qualifier
    i have a new era rear skid/wheelie bar for my n rustler and the only time it bent is when i landed on it from a 30 ft drop. (my brake wasnt adjusted properly)
    2-strokes: it aint fast unless u mix the gas.

RC Competitor
    Aluminum bulk heads was something that came into my mind also, i like the idea of aluminum bulk heads. It does not take direct hits, and its not supposed to flex anything. And i imagine the screw holes in an aluminum bulk head is harder to crack than the plastic bulk head.

Lars

The Slayer uses the same bulkheads as the Revo no one makes Aluminum bulkheads because they would have to make them cast Aluminum and it wouldn't be as strong as the stock ones.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Competitor
    I have a new bulkhead and a new set of skidplates coming.. It was reasonably cheap so its not too bad. Would be great to reinforce the screw holes for the skidplates, other than that, its good as it is. When it comes to aluminum skid plates, i found a couple of options there, but i dont like the idea of transferring more of the shock into the chassis rather then letting the skid plate flex and break, and dampen the shock to the rest of the truck. Better to have a 10$ part break, then to break parts for alot more.

Lars

RC Champion
    I think you hit your front tire(s) hard on something pulling the front of the a-arms pins apart splitting your skid plate threads also. Look inside of your front skid at where the a-arm pins are captured, are their tears around those holes? I tried driving my Slayer into a 10" pipe, And broke mine in the same place. The front skid needs a steel insert to hold the front lower hinge pins together.

RC Racer
    IMO certain parts such as bumpers / skid plates / nurf bars / roll handle are designed to break. if u make anyone of these stronger (aluminum) then you will make other major parts weaker. so i just stay with stock plastice parts. its way lighter than aluminum. but if ur a hard core BASHER! then aluminum is the way to go!!!. mabe the rear skid plate. ive eaten alot of thoese on the slayer. has anyone tried the techno rc rear skid plates???????

RC Competitor
    Dont look like anything else has cracked. I doubt it was the tires taking the hit.. i slammed into a rock after missing on a jump, it was pretty uneven and bumpy surface so it was hard to keep the thing driving straight.. I missed the jump and slammed into a rock below the bumper and into the skid plate.. So i dont think anything else took any serious hit on that impact.. the bumper and skid plate did what it was supposed to, except for the crack in the threads of the bulkhead..

RC Racer
    my friend broke one. myn usually pops out a bit.

but ive broken 1 bumper/ 2 rear skids/ 1 rear bumper tho
    i landed on my front left tire once on a big jump and actually cracked the bulk head from the lower a arm.i still need to get a new one

RC Champion
    when you hit pretty hard on the front and just bend that skid plate,put it in a glass of water,microwave for 4 minutes,bend back in place and let it cool,works great

Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    The Slayer uses the same bulkheads as the Revo no one makes Aluminum bulkheads because they would have to make them cast Aluminum and it wouldn't be as strong as the stock ones.
    this is true. it would be a very complex piece to design a CNC program around.

RC Competitor
    I have the Integy Front skid plate on my Revo, and so far it's holding up okay. But then I mostly race, and don't do too much intentional bashing. I wouldn't buy them again though. As soon as they fail, which I know they will. I plan on getting this one. Single piece construction, which imo would help to make the front end a little more rigid. Just my .02

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22523

RC Champion
    that looks like the way to go,have to wait till after the rpm blocks,flm axles etc,etc,etc,.................

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cadmanslayer46
    that looks like the way to go,have to wait till after the rpm blocks,flm axles etc,etc,etc,.................
    LOL, the neverending story. Troubleshoot, fix/replace, go play, break, and repeat.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 808revo
    LOL, the neverending story. Troubleshoot, fix/replace, go play, break, and repeat.

yeah but its beats playing golf.....................