Thread: tuning

RC Qualifier

tuning

Being new to this im not sure bout tuning. When my slayer starts out it smokes like it should but when it gets to a highing rpm range not as mush put enough to see. is this good or should they be more smoke?
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

what i do is richen the HSN up till it runs like crap (real raspy sounding) then start leaning it down till it runs with a good clean sound and nice smoke.

i do this instead of leaning it till it loses power like traxxas says because i was new to nitro also, but i was not new to 2 stroke engines and i know that when you lean it you are also cutting off the engines lubrication (not good).

i do my method because with the luck i have with stuff it would probably blow up if i did it the traxxas way.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-08-2009 at 01:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    mine too so dont feel bad. i like my truck though, got to try out my proline wheels today with my stock tires which came off while i was doing donuts.lol. but anyways, im running a 40 tooth spur gear instead of the factory 36, could this have changed my tuning a little?
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

RC Champion
    what changes your tuning is daily atmospheric condition changes,always have a pocket screwdriver in your pocket while running and you will be set
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

yes slight variations in weather will change tune and how it runs. it's more noticeable in 2 stroke engines because of the mixed fuel and with the fuel being methanol and nitromethane it's more tempermental to atmospheric change than it would be if they ran on regular gasoline.

RC Qualifier
    I guess so because today i didnt notice alot of smoke on take off.
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

when i first fire mine up i let it sit and idle till i reach around 150 degrees then putt it around till i get it up around 170 180. then i throw the body on it and run it around a few times at full blast and see what kind of tune it's got.

once the motor clears out all of the excess fuel built up from idling i'll do a few full throttle from a dead stop runs to check the smoke. it should put a decent puff with a nice trail and have a clean sound then you know you have it. it should never stop smoking while accelerating until you let off the throttle.

RC Qualifier
    Ive notice when i pinch the fuel line it takes bout 6 sec. to shut off so i think i need to tune when my switch tires come in and drill the pipe.
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

6 seconds is ok as long as it doesn't bog when you hit the gas. you have to remember tho the 3 second pinch test is just a guidline anything less is too lean. i richen the LSN up until it idles good then i check it by hitting the throttle and listening to how it sounds. if it boggs out and stalls then it's too rich on the LSN.

and i'll tell you the LSN is very sensitive to adjustment usually only go about an 1/8 turn at a time. mine usually takes about 4 to 6 seconds to shut off where i have it set.