Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105

    help please , lipo cutoff for stock e-revo with 2s1p packs.

    my friend got the e-revo and we bought two lipo battery packs 2s1p 4000mah 25c , what do you recommend for lipo cutoff so we do not destroy our batteries ??? thanx in advance .....
    Master of Greek bashing

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jax, Fl
    Posts
    432
    Novak smart stop 2S or 4S.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    390
    I was told by someone on here that the "2S car lipo deep discharge protector" that True RC sells works good. Just connect it to the battery on the BEC side of your ESC, as that battery will drain faster than the other, thus protecting both batteries. I have mine ordered and waiting for its arrival so I haven't tried it out yet, but the reports I have heard are good.

    Linky (you need to click on "Connectors & Misc", then scroll about halfway down the page):
    http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/read...eady_packs.htm
    Welcome to GnarCal!

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    52
    4s - that's if the batteries are wired together in a series, right?

    2s - that would be to put on one of the 2s1p packs...presumably the BEC side battery because it will drain a little faster, right?

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by GotRevo?
    4s - that's if the batteries are wired together in a series, right?

    2s - that would be to put on one of the 2s1p packs...presumably the BEC side battery because it will drain a little faster, right?
    No....4s if you run parallel....2s if you run series...

    the E-revo FAQ is your friend. LINK


    look at post #72;
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....4&postcount=72


    all the wiring diagrams you need for what you are doing
    be nice.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    i will connect them in series 14.8v , and i want to ask why the bec side battery discharges quicker .
    r u sure about that ,?
    so i only need a 2s cutoff. ?
    , ok but somewhere i read that the novak cutoff some incompatibility issues with the evx .
    Master of Greek bashing

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas_BL
    i will connect them in series 14.8v , and i want to ask why the bec side battery discharges quicker .
    r u sure about that ,?
    so i only need a 2s cutoff. ?
    , ok but somewhere i read that the novak cutoff some incompatibility issues with the evx .

    the bec side discharges quicker because that is the side that powers your servos, and receiver along with the motors....the other side just powers the motors IIRC.

    look at the links I sent you.... the diagrams will set you up correctly depending on the way you decide to go.

    If it were me....I'd want to protect both batteries, so I'd wire using a 4s LVC.


    but in reality...i sold my evx-2 before I ever ran it and went to a brushless set-up with an ESC that had a cut-off built in....so my first hand knowledge here is limited. I do know, however, that the wiring diagrams in the e-revo faq are spot on.
    be nice.

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    just picked up from ebay this
    and 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200308168117

    what do u think ??
    Master of Greek bashing

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    52
    My understanding, is that series wiring before going into the ESC will combine the total number of cells, while capacity remains unchanged. In this case, OP has two 2s1p 4000mAh batteries. In a series, the ESC sees all four of the cells for a total of 14.8V and 4000mAh. I actually asked this question in another thread, but it was never answered, so I'll ask it again. How is wiring up two 2s1p 4000mAh batteries in series with one another before going into the ESC any different than wiring one battery into each of the two leads that go into the stock E-Revo ESC?

    If the same two battery packs were wired in parallel with one another before going to the ESC, wouldn't the ESC only see 2 cells (7.4V), but double the capacity (8000mAh)?

    If my understanding of series and parallel are correct, why would one use a 4s LVC if OP's batteries were wired in parallel, and a 2s if OP's batteries were wired in series (that's the impression I got from your response to me)? After all, the pic you linked me to even shows 2s packs wired in series before the ESC, and a 4s LVC.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    390
    I looked at the manufacturers website for the CellShield and at the bottom of the product page it said this:

    "CellShield is intended for aircraft with 0-100% style one direction only throttle. A future product will be aimed at cars."
    Welcome to GnarCal!

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Medicated
    I looked at the manufacturers website for the CellShield and at the bottom of the product page it said this:

    "CellShield is intended for aircraft with 0-100% style one direction only throttle. A future product will be aimed at cars."
    U R 100% right . i must send him an e-mail to abort .. thanx a lot
    Master of Greek bashing

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    so , what about the novak cut off , ? is it compatible with the evx-2 ????
    Master of Greek bashing

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    390
    I don't know about the Novak Smart Stop, but here is a link to some ebay sellers that have the deep discharge protector I mentioned earlier:

    http://toys.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0Q...R&_osacat=2562

    Only good reports from users so far.
    Welcome to GnarCal!

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    cool , i ll try one of those , lot cheaper 2..
    Master of Greek bashing

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    Threshold for deep discharge protection : 2.6V/Cell, 2.85V/Cell or 3.1V/Cell (Correspondingly, the total threshold for a 2S Li-Po battery pack is 5.2V, 5.7V or 6.2V)

    what about that ??? i think the best setting is the 3.1v per cell just to be safe. what do you think ????
    Master of Greek bashing

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,902
    GotRevo?, I answered your question in the other thread
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas_BL
    Threshold for deep discharge protection : 2.6V/Cell, 2.85V/Cell or 3.1V/Cell (Correspondingly, the total threshold for a 2S Li-Po battery pack is 5.2V, 5.7V or 6.2V)

    what about that ??? i think the best setting is the 3.1v per cell just to be safe. what do you think ????
    Correct. I talked to Dan at True RC and he recommended using the highest setting.
    Welcome to GnarCal!

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by GotRevo?
    My understanding, is that series wiring before going into the ESC will combine the total number of cells, while capacity remains unchanged. In this case, OP has two 2s1p 4000mAh batteries. In a series, the ESC sees all four of the cells for a total of 14.8V and 4000mAh. I actually asked this question in another thread, but it was never answered, so I'll ask it again. How is wiring up two 2s1p 4000mAh batteries in series with one another before going into the ESC any different than wiring one battery into each of the two leads that go into the stock E-Revo ESC?

    If the same two battery packs were wired in parallel with one another before going to the ESC, wouldn't the ESC only see 2 cells (7.4V), but double the capacity (8000mAh)?

    If my understanding of series and parallel are correct, why would one use a 4s LVC if OP's batteries were wired in parallel, and a 2s if OP's batteries were wired in series (that's the impression I got from your response to me)? After all, the pic you linked me to even shows 2s packs wired in series before the ESC, and a 4s LVC.

    ok.... I realize the confusion comes from my first answer....because I didnt complete the answer. So let me apologize for that

    When you connect two bateries to the EVX-2 it automaticly connects them in a series internally. In order to add a lvc in this situation (without using a jumper on one side) the best solution is a 2s cutoff. But this leaves the other battery w/o a LVC. Most people believe this does not matter because the bec side will drain faster than the other, so as long as its connected on the bec side, you should be fine. Wiring like this would look like the following;



    I, however, would feel safer if I had both batteries protected. When I mentioned 4s cutoff being used for parallel I was refering to wiring like this;


    I see that it was confusing now, because it doesnt apply to the OP's question. oops!

    However (and here's the part I left out earlier ) You can use a 4s cut off and still protect both batteries if you wire like this;

    It uses a series connection on the BEC side and a jumper on the other. This allows both batteries to be protected.

    sorry for the confusion. I hope this helps clear it up
    be nice.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Athens GREECE
    Posts
    105
    what about this ? : if you install a 4s lvc with the positive cable to one connector of the battery and the negative cable to the other connector.
    i say that because the speed control conects them in series inside. what is the point of pouting the jumper..

    like this ::
    Master of Greek bashing

  20. #20
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    52
    Whew! I was halfway worried I had everything backwards about series/parallel for a little bit when I saw your first answer. But everything you just said was exactly how I understood it to be. I've still got a lot to learn. baby steps...baby steps.

    Except you did point out something that I hadn't thought of, and let me make sure I'm getting it right: it's better to wire two batts in series/parallel depending on one's application onto the BEC lead of the ESC (and a jumper on the non-BEC side) so that the LVC is protecting both batteries.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas_BL
    what about this ? : if you install a 4s lvc with the positive cable to one connector of the battery and the negative cable to the other connector.
    i say that because the speed control conects them in series inside. what is the point of pouting the jumper..
    I'm not positive, but I dont think that will work.

    There isnt anything to close the circuit going to the lvc....you could be asking for burnt wires

    BrianG would know.

    Quote Originally Posted by GotRevo?

    Except you did point out something that I hadn't thought of, and let me make sure I'm getting it right: it's better to wire two batts in series/parallel depending on one's application onto the BEC lead of the ESC (and a jumper on the non-BEC side) so that the LVC is protecting both batteries.
    Thats my opinion. some may disagree.
    be nice.

  22. #22
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    52
    And I may be wrong for doing so, but I hold your opinion in high regard.


  23. #23
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by HoovHartid
    However (and here's the part I left out earlier ) You can use a 4s cut off and still protect both batteries if you wire like this;

    It uses a series connection on the BEC side and a jumper on the other. This allows both batteries to be protected.
    Just to make sure: in order for both batteries to be protected they still need to start off with an equal charge right (a bit like the bec-side lvc option)? Else the batt with the lowest voltage might drop too low while driving before the LVC kicks in.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Auburn, PA
    Posts
    628
    ^
    Yup, both packs must be fully charged and balanced before using. Never run a pack that was already used or drained with a fully charged pack.

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Auburn, PA
    Posts
    628


    I'm still not convinced that wiring the EVX2 like this is a good idea. The BEC is designed to run off of 1 battery pack and is expecting 7.2 to 8.4 volts.By doubling up the volts on the BEC side of the ESC, your just asking for trouble.
    If Traxxas had a high voltage BEC inside the ESC, I dont think that they would have wired it to only one side of the battery inputs.

    This is just something to keep in mind when doing this.
    Last edited by skeppley; 03-12-2009 at 10:18 AM.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    696
    Skeppley, I think you may be right... the above diagram shows a series/parallel circuit and if I understand the evx2's innards.. you'll be showing the full series voltage on the bec side of the esc. As Chinsy as these esc's are, I doubt the bec is designed to handle that full voltage here.. but then, I know some have used it, just don't know how well they've held up.
    Edit:, after looking at my comments I realized that all legs of the ckt are series, no parallel.. sorry about that, that is, the batts are wired series outside of the esc, and the internal wiring of the esc is series. Personally I don't see any pluses to wiring this way.
    Last edited by fmj40; 03-12-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Reformed nitro operations specialist..

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Auburn, PA
    Posts
    628
    Yeah, your better off just using a 2S cutoff on the BEC side. That way the internal BEC is still gonna get the factory voltage.

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by skeppley
    Yeah, your better off just using a 2S cutoff on the BEC side. That way the internal BEC is still gonna get the factory voltage.
    That was kinda what I thought, as the series setup doesn't give full low voltage protection anyway, you might as well go with the lvc on bec side option since thats closest to the default setup.

  29. #29
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    57
    I tried this in two different trucks and the Jumper idea didn't work for me....I ended up doing the one sided LVC with the 2s Novak Smart-Stop.....worked until my motors burnt out. Now I'm BL in both.
    4x4 Slash/E-Revo/E-Maxx Castle all around

  30. #30
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    35
    when i start running lipo batteries i still want to use my nimh packs to for running in water and stuff wut is there a way to disable the LVC without switching a bunch of wires around. or opening the waterproof reciver box every time. (thats where i plan on putting the LVC at) if u add a switch in on the LVC - wire would that disable it or would that stop the truck completley.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •