RC poster

summit brushless conversion gearing!!??

Hi, I want to convert a summit to brushless, any motor recommendations along with esc for about 150 or less, and about what gearing I should be running.
    Thanks in advance

RC Champion
    there isn't anything brushless for under 150, you would need to spend a minimum of 200 for a new brushless setup and then you will need lipo to power it if you don't already run lipo,....Kershaw has a brushed motor kit for around 100.....2200kv seems to be the most popular and works good for me, your gearing wil depend on the batteries your using, I stuck with stock summit gearing on mine, be prepared to spend at least 500 on brushless to make the truck work, then you will need lots of upgrades to handle the extra power......

RC poster
    What about a mamba 1406 motor?

RC poster
    Or traxxas 2200kv brushless motor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    The traxxas 2200kv motor is the same as what is recommended above. A 1/8 motor is what is needed. Most popular are the castle 2200 or 2650 motors. The traxxas 2200 is the same motor but in a shade of blue.

The mamba 1406 motor would be a BIG NO go!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    Ok, thanks, when I had read above it read brushed 2200kv, I think I'll run that and a vxl 3s esc, does that sound okay, and would stock gearing keep it cool enough

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by btraxxas2272 View Post
    Ok, thanks, when I had read above it read brushed 2200kv, I think I'll run that and a vxl 3s esc, does that sound okay, and would stock gearing keep it cool enough
    you cant run the vxl system. that's for 1/10 scale such as slash,slash 4x4, rustler etc...
    you need a 1/8 scale system such mamba monster as mentioned above.

The 2200kv cannot be run with the vxl esc. If you mean you want to run a brushed motor with the vxl esc, yes, you can. Up to 3s.

If you're on such a tight budget, perhaps the stock brushed system is the best bet for now .

RC poster
    I'm just really stingy with my money, so what esc would you guys recommend, I want waterproof, it is practically a need, try to keep price somewhat decent but open to any suggestions

RC poster
    What about this?
    Hobbywing quicrun 150amp waterproof brushless esc?

That hobbywing may be a decent option, or the motor/esc out of the traxxas e revo. I think the mamba monster 2 is waterproof too, isn't it fellas?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    That hobbywing may be a decent option, or the motor/esc out of the traxxas e revo. I think the mamba monster 2 is waterproof too, isn't it fellas?
    Mamba Monster 2/MXL6-S (depending whom you purchase from) are waterproof but a CC2200/MM2 combo will set you back almost $300 depending on where you live..
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC poster
    Solution= dual vxl 3s esc and dual velineon 3500.

RC Champion
    that will cost more then a starter line hobbywing setup.....imo a Kershaw designs 820 would be more fun then twin vxl....I have a few different brushless setups I use, I live in Canada so shipping can be expensive sometimes, one of the cheapest waterproof 1/8 setups ive purchased was an onyx combo from tower for $250, I also notice they have the 2650kv version for just over 200 now, go on there payment plan and get a decent 1/8 combo.....you would regret doing the twin setup as the 1/8 setup has the torque the truck needs....

RC Racer
    Buy the hobbywing 150a esc. Then go to dollarhobbyz.com and buy the 1965kv flux scream or the Cen collosus's 2000kv motor. They are 44 bucks and 55 bucks. ESC is 99. There's you're 150 budget

RC poster
    I don't plan to really crawl with it, more loose dirt and rocks, would that still be better for that?

RC Racer
    You can gear it up for speed. You need the low kv because of the weight of the vehicles. The 1965kv is used in the hpi trophy truggy and it can do 50+ on 4s. The collosus is pretty fast too

RC poster
    Could I run 6s in that combo?

RC Champion
    yes..........

RC Racer
    Deffinetly. The esc and those motors are rated for 6s

RC poster
    I just looked both of those up and said to run it on 4s only!

RC Qualifier
    How many times do i have to tell people that it's cheaper to shop on ebay ebay is the king of low prices if u get a esc are motor go to ebay

RC poster
    Yes, I will agree to that. My life revolves around eBay and amazon

RC Racer
    the XERUN system can handle up to 6s so idk where you read that.

RC Champion
    the Kershaw site also now has a 1/8 brushless combo for 136.00 waterproof and good to 4s, 6s is way to destructive for your summit without upgrades.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4mikebruns View Post
    the XERUN system can handle up to 6s so idk where you read that.
    The original xerun came in two styles 80amp 4s, and 150amp 6s. May have been some minor confusion.

I think Kershaws QuickRun esc are the newer versions of XeRuns (from EzRun, to XeRun, to QuickRun). And Kershaws pricing does look nice, close to $150.

But a gently used Tekin system can be had for $210.

I have come to realize that waterproof does not really matter when you live in the desert.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    The original xerun came in two styles 80amp 4s, and 150amp 6s. May have been some minor confusion.

I think Kershaws QuickRun esc are the newer versions of XeRuns (from EzRun, to XeRun, to QuickRun). And Kershaws pricing does look nice, close to $150.

But a gently used Tekin system can be had for $210.

I have come to realize that waterproof does not really matter when you live in the desert.
    viper vtx 8 is $190, and its waterproof so you don't have to worry if theres a puddle over there. I have Tekin also. i waterproofed it with liquid electrical tape, but after couple long good dunks the sensor wire will get wet somewhere and it makes a buzzing noise from a short in the sensor. not good. I'm going to have take it apart and re-apply the liquid electrical tape coating. i don't think got around the ports good enough is the problem. if the tekin burns up in this truck, I'm just going to have to put a viper vtx 8 in it too.