RC Qualifier

Heavy Duty FLM/VXL 4mm steering link / turnbuckle solution

Well, hopefully here's a new solution to an old problem for some of you that is a lot cheaper than going Lunsford:

These turnbuckles and these rod ends for the steering link.

For when the links expire years from now, these are the hot bodies no. C8164, 4x83mm turnbuckles and the Traxxas 5347 large rod ends used with the 5529 hollow balls. The 5347 rod ends are used both on the VXL Stampede for the steering rod ends and also all over the Revo. When assembled this rod and this link gives you a steering link 96mm center of eye to eye.

I have an FLM truck with aluminum arms and aluminum steering knuckles. As many of you know the FLM supplied steering links miss the mark by a mile. For some reason stock VXL tie rods are far too short. I was forced to use the skinny 3mm x 82mm long traxxas tie rod with the 5525 ends and kept snapping the ends and I bent one rod.

I really wanted to go to a heavy duty 4mm steering rod like on the rest of the VXL links but without the expense of Lunsford. The stock VXL steering ends 5347 are 4mm and looking around a bit I found the Hot Bodies 4x83mm rods which work perfect.

RC Competitor
    That sounds like a good idea. Does FLM supply all the turnbuckles with their extended arm conversion?

RC Qualifier
    They do supply "free" turnbuckes with the arm kits, and they are worth every penny.

RC Qualifier
    More specifically, the Traxxas VXL suspension turnbuckles work for "stock length" FLM arms -- and are superior to them -- and the suggestion above completes this for the steering link as well.

There are already solutions out there for the FLM extended length arms, I don't have a FLM extended length kit and can't comment on extended length links. But notice you can follow the same solution -- just pick out somebody elses 4mm diameter turnbuckle, at the length you need (which is going to be from 90 to 100mm), and apply the 5347 ends for the steering link.

RC Champion
    It's difficult finding turnbuckles and rod ends to meet a specific length, even if you know what it is. Some manufacturers measure the turnbuckle itself and others measure the turnbuckle with the included rod ends (as some include them).

I asked a similar question here in this thread about which to use. I don't have the parts in question anymore as I've sold my truck, but these worked well for me.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

I'll bet you end up having to replace those with something more durable. They're only made from polished steel. Say what you will about steel, but I've seen plenty of steel turnbuckles snap, with little reason. Not to mention that the materials Hot Bodies uses for their parts is is of questionable strength to begin with. I had a set of their caster blocks and they broke just as quickly as a set of Integy casters I had gotten when I first bought my Pede. Yeah; the Lunsfords may be more expensive, but there's a reason for that; they're quality parts with a good warranty.
    Just my 2.
    Last edited by TAT2; 02-24-2009 at 02:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Point taken on the durability; I am going to give them a shot because the 3mm Traxxas ones with 5525 ends worked for so long.

The 4mm ones would have to be a low-brow grade of steel to not be stronger given that 4mm is a 77% area increase over 3mm, it is nearly double. I think the problem with a lot of Integy parts is they may be castings not milled from solid like FLM, but this is just a guess.