RC Qualifier

10 minutes of fun....

So I finally got the Summit. I picked it up from the Post Office yesterday but had to get some Deans connectors to hook my batteries up today. I took it out for a minute to make sure everything was working OK then went off the the job site as I had some work to do at the new house. Finshed off and took the Summit out for its maiden voyage. Having read the manual and several threads on how people were using/misusing their Summits I was careful to lock the diffs from a stop and start up slowly to ensure that they were working OK. Tried high and low (high only ever without the diffs locked). Was running in low with the front diffs locked when it started running funny. Figured out it was just running in three wheel drive and something was wrong with the rear diff. Odd as the rear wasn't locked. Fortunately I had the VXL Stampede in the van so the day wasn't a write off. Ran the you-know-what out of the Stampede with no issues as usual. Sigh. I just know I'll be spending 10x longer ripping the diff out and apart and figuring out what was broken as I've had playing with my new Summit.

Is there a part people have been running across that has a manufactures flaw in the diff?
    ......would it ever stop raining so I can go play!

RC Racer
    Yes, there is a thread out there that talks about these breaks.

here it is...http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=457030

someone said something about how Traxxas sent some summits out with defectives parts in them.
    Nitro Sport .15
    Villain EX
    E-Maxx

Unfortunately there have been a few outdrive shaft/gears breaking, it's probably the one on the locker side. So far mine has been ok (knock on wood). Call Traxxas, they have the parts you need and get them to send you some diff fluid also...

RC Qualifier
    Thanks RonixBoarder5 I thought I had read something about it somewhere... I guess I have to rip it apart before I call tech support. I've never had an issue with a Traxxas part before. Broken lots of stuff but just from normal wear and tear...

RC Qualifier
    Yup it turns out its the 5678 part that had the casting problems. I'll call them on Monday for a replacement.... sigh...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    hey fric at least we do know that some of the damage is from a faulty shipment of parts. and not abusing the vehicle. if you wanna see aobuse should se emy wintermaxx teardown. had to take my dremel to a transmission case.
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FricFrac
    Yup it turns out its the 5678 part that had the casting problems. I'll call them on Monday for a replacement.... sigh...
    Just an FYI: Have your serial number when you call. I think my replacement part got delayed because I ended up needing to call them twice.
    (Serial # is on the top of the chassis, btw)