RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Exclamation Why does no one make aluminum Revo bulkheads?

Does anyone know why no one makes aluminum bulks for the Revo? It's not like it would be too complicated, or too complex, or too much work...the same amount of all three went into making the combo & hybrid Maxx bulks by FLM (and others)...and I know it's not a price issue, because FLM makes the combo & hybrid Maxx bulks very cheaply, so I am sure a standard aluminum Revo bulk could be made, as well as a combo or hybrid aluminum Revo bulk.

I mean, if UE can make the VBS, a simple aluminum Revo bulk should be child's play for anyone...

Anyone have any ideas why no one makes aluminum Revo bulks? Or just any comments on the idea at all?
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking about this when I was taking apart mine after a crash. I honestly think it's for 2 reasons:

Weight - These things are huge and thick, it would easily add another half a pound to the truck if you tacked on that much metal.

Lack of a demand - No one needs aluminum bulks because no one breaks the things. Including myself, I've only heard about 3 cases of broken diffs and mine was after and EXTREMELY bad crash at the hands of another driver.

Just my thoughts. Now obviously the weight thing wouldn't stop them from being created but when you combine that with the lack of a demand for them, it just makes no sense. After taking apart the truck, I don't think I would have spent the money on aluminum. It just isn't necessary (for me) to spend (guesstimate) $60 + on bulks when I could spend $14 and never break another one.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Don't forget that an aluminum bulkhead wouldn't be as thick as the plastic one, since aluminum is much stronger than plastic, so weight really wouldn't be that bad. The reason I asked is because in the last 3 or 4 days, I have heard of at least as many people who have just broken a bulkhead, and at least as many who have broken one in the past. I understand the demand thing, but it just blows my mind that no one offers aluminum bulks, since there are sooooo many people out there who just love to buy aluminum parts, no matter what part it is...you know? I am quite happy with the plastic, though.

RC Champion
    Also remember if someone where to make a set, There would be a lot of machining to do. Remeber, The Revo bulkhead is very complex. Every nook and cranny would take time to mill out. So for the time it would take to mill one out, the price would be too high so the demand wouldn't be there. The only other way that would be cost effective would be to cast it but it just wouldn't last(kind of like some of the integy stuff).
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Like I said...the FLM combo & hybrid bulkheads for the Maxx trucks are just as complex, if not more complex, and they are CNC machined out of 6061-T6 for a very reasonable price. They are bulkheads & differential cases machined as a single unit, so machining a Revo bulkhead (just the bulkhead halves) would be less complex...this is why I don't understand why no one makes them.

RC Racer
    i can second that question, i was asking for one last week when I broke mine on my two week old e-revo.
    got to think that there are enough people out there wanting them, it's a rather high stress point, takes some serious torque coming off any kind of big jumps. I figured there would already be one out there, searched all over the web for something, just found *****ing that there wasn't anything.
    for all the work that goes into replacing that piece, i'd rather know that it was done right, once, and not have to worry about it again.

RC Champion
    Yeah but they are basically using the bulkhead programs and adding the Diff cases to the program which, yes, can be complex but since the programs are made for both it just takes a little to combine the programs.

The Revo Bulkheads have a lot of angles, holes, recesses and other things that would make it complex to make. Not to mention you have to worry about the structure. It can be done but at a cost. I have looked into machining a pair for myself but it would take time and a lot of scrap pieces to get everything just right.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to GnarCal!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Medicated
    What are you trying to show us? That's just a link to the stock plastic bulkheads.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe he saw the aluminum plates labeled bulkhead and thought that's what was meant. Must have read the thread title and nothing else. And know nothing about Revos. Hmm ... how helpful.
    E-Revo MMM 2200 "The Missile"
    VXL FLM Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bet you're right Greg...I wish people actually read the entire thread before replying.

RC Qualifier
    My bad. You guys are right. I didn't realize that the tie bars were different from the actual bulkheads. Still, you guys could have been a little more pleasant about it. No need for the condescending (not to mention sarcastic) attitude. I was just trying to help.
    Welcome to GnarCal!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sorry, man, I wasn't trying to sound that way...and was really referring to people in general, not you specifically. I do appreciate you trying to help!

RC Qualifier
    Me sorry too. I was shooting for humor, but sometimes my aim drifts a little to the sarcastic.
    E-Revo MMM 2200 "The Missile"
    VXL FLM Rustler

RC Champion
    I thought I saw an aluminum bulkhead for the revo somewhere... Made by either integy... ick!, or GH. I could just be hopelessly confused though.
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Sorry, man, I wasn't trying to sound that way...and was really referring to people in general, not you specifically. I do appreciate you trying to help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregarious76
    Me sorry too. I was shooting for humor, but sometimes my aim drifts a little to the sarcastic.

It's cool. I wasn't really expecting an apology. Thanks guys! As jaded as it gets on the internet, it's refreshing to see this every once in a while.
    Welcome to GnarCal!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Medicated
    It's cool. I wasn't really expecting an apology. Thanks guys! As jaded as it gets on the internet, it's refreshing to see this every once in a while.

Its easy for sarcasem to come off bad in the forums. It happends to me all the time. I have a dry sense of humor, but I have tried to remember to use the little smileys so ppl know i'm playing around. Most times I still come off like a "donkey"

anyways, back to the topic;

I have looked for these as well, but no avail. The revo has been out for some time now. I have to assume that making these out of metal is harder than usual. Otherwise, I think they would be available from a few companies.
    be nice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, we all know why Integy hasn't made an aluminum Revo bulkhead yet, because no one else has built one for them to copy...HAHA!!!

RC Qualifier
    i think theres one idea that got missed here. the maxx series stuff is like 99% interchangable and runs on quite a few different trucks. and although you've "heard" about these dozen or so cases about broken bulks, people don't get on here and go, hey, i didn't break my bulks after a huge jump. mine, on my revo 3.3, have lasted almost a year so far, with some awesome leaps under thier belts(including clearing our 2 1/2 car garage) and some awesome 12ft high backflips w/ not so great landings. basically, the few that have broken them come on here and tell thier stories while the thousands that haven't don't need to start a thread about not breaking parts. as far as machining, i see no reason as to why weight would come into concern or difficulty. have you seen the amount of small triangles, and trapeziods and what not that are on the insides(of the maxx) as structual reinforcement? seems like the maxx'd be a pain over the revos. but o well. thats just my opinion, not enough demand. maybe after the BLErevo comes out people'll start breaking more and demand will go up.
    Last edited by JustChillin; 02-21-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Racer
    i think it would be great if someone came out with a hybrid diff so i can replace the stock weak diff with the cen diff like i did with my savage flux. its nice to know that you can mash your throttle with a tightish slipper and not worry about your diffs.
    only fifty... REALLY?

RC poster

Cool RDLogics

Yeah i think its kinda dumb that they can make the aluminum Transmission case but cant make the bulkhead. RDLogics should make them cause they did an excellent job on the transmission case. and they could easily make 70 to 100 dolors off of 1 bulkhead so there is no reason at all for them not to make the part.

RC Qualifier
    you can add me to the list of people who have broken their bulkheads

RC Champion
    I WISH traxxas would add a POLL FEATURE to the threads.
    Then we could actually figure out how many people have bulkhead and differential issues.

In a year i think i've broken the rear bulks 3 times and the front 2. The diff's have died about 10 times between the front and rear.

RC Qualifier
    Strange how some people throw theire car into 30 ft backflips several times and never breaks a bulk, when other break them all the time..

Did those of you that broke alot of bulks, ever get an idea of why it happends? Is it when jumping high with flat landings, bad one wheel landings etc etc ? Only when its cold outside? Was something else loose/broken before it happends? A little weak spring setup for that high/long jump?

There can be alot of reasons, but it would be fun to see if it`s somekind of regularity.

RC Qualifier
    mine broke while:
    - i was jumping
    - had new heavy 7 cell batts
    - cold outside
    - unmodified stock (weak) springs

RC Racer
    I broke both halves on the front bulkhead of my revo 3.3 when I hit a mailbox , but I was only going about 10 mph, but it was about 20 degrees outside

RC Racer
    I found these: http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...599&p_catid=73 but they are integy and $95
    Last edited by dh3.3; 03-10-2012 at 05:04 PM.

RC Champion
    I have broken the rear bulk twice on front flip attempts.
    I have broken the front bulk in head on crashes with immovable objects twice.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    i am brand new to this.whats wrong with Integy stuff?

RC Competitor
    there products are usually made out of casted aluminum, not billet which makes them weaker and for 95 dollars its a huge investment.

RC Competitor
    Some integy stuff is good. Their alum bulkheads are fine. You wont break a bulkhead again, screws shouldn't strip, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    i am brand new to this.whats wrong with Integy stuff?

RC Champion
    Don't buy anything integy. They make horrible parts and have never heard of anyone liking any of them.
    I do think someone should make aluminum bulks for the revo. My buddy's revo bulkhead broke during a skatepark bash.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"