Thread: Holes in Tires

RC poster

Holes in Tires

Was reading my Manual tonight in the section running in wet conditions ,Traxxas suggest cutting two 3/16" holes in the tires 180 degrees apart to get the water out.Is this really Necessary? It seems like it would cause the tires to start to rip.Also can this be done with a drill bit? If not I could just burn the hole with a pencil soildering iron. My wheels do have a considerable amount of wobble to them. Also some squeaking coming from the axles or wheels or dif. or something when I drive it. I ran it through alot of water since the day I got it.Hey that is what its meant to do.

No cool saying yet! I'm Thinkin'

RC Competitor
    I'm not really sure what to tell you. I've driven my T-Maxx through water a lot and never had a problem with water in the tires. But at the same time I'm using aftermarket beadlock wheels and I don't think water can get in there very easily. I haven't driven my Summit through deep water yet, but if water in the wheels becomes a problem I was planning on drilling a couple of small holes in each wheel with my dremel or drill. I was thinking of making the holes in the tread because it's thicker and will be less likely to tear. I had the same concerns about ripping/tearing.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Code
    I'm not really sure what to tell you. I've driven my T-Maxx through water a lot and never had a problem with water in the tires. But at the same time I'm using aftermarket beadlock wheels and I don't think water can get in there very easily. I haven't driven my Summit through deep water yet, but if water in the wheels becomes a problem I was planning on drilling a couple of small holes in each wheel with my dremel or drill. I was thinking of making the holes in the tread because it's thicker and will be less likely to tear. I had the same concerns about ripping/tearing.

Good Idea!!

RC Enthusiast
    I would be a little hesitant about drilling holes in my tires also.

RC Enthusiast

drill or cut tires ? yes it works.

I have had a t maxx that got submerged in water . My two year old son was playing with it and it ended up in the water for some time. I asked the same question as you did , will the tires rip or tear after I cut or drill holes in the tire ?. If you cut the tire in the centre of the tread where the tire swells the most it won't tear or rip. make two holes in the tire 180 degree's apart on the centre of the tread. I had triied this and was not 100% that it was the right thing to due . But I had everything to gain as the tires were so full of water that they were really heavy and out of ballance . I spun the tires using a drill and water was spraying everywhere. This got mostly all of the water out and I still use the tires and yet have no tearing or rips. I have had some side walls blow out on me on other tires so I thaught when I put small cuts in the tread , that I was going to damage them , but surprisingly not. This has worked very well for me and if I have issues with water in my tires again this is what I will do to fix them. P.S. you do not need to use a drill to spin them you could just drive your R.C.

RC Champion
    Just put a gob of hot glue over the holes on the inside of the rim and press it down and hold your finger on it untill it dries. Keeps the water out and comes off when you wanna take it off.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Champion
    I have drilled holes in the tires of cars I use in wet conditions for years. I probably wouldnt do it on a brushless e-revo or on a Jato but it will be no biggie on a Summit. Mine are done. I just used a drill bit. Works great to sling out any excess water inside the tires.

The downside of gluing over the holes in the rims is that the tires are very bouncy, the holes are there for a reason.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC poster
    I did mine tonight.I used a little different Aproach. I used a pencil soildering iron and poked 2 holes 180 degrees apart.Then I pinched the tire at the hole and cut the little excess off. I did it inside the nobies of the tires. I turned the truck upside down and hit the throtle. I sprayed the celing in the garage with water. Not alot but enough to cause them to be off balance.I also took it all apart and gave it a good cleaning.