Thread: EVX - 2 issues

RC Enthusiast

EVX - 2 issues

Hey guys, well I finally got my Summit (very sweet), but I am having some issues with it. I am running it on 4s lipo (I contacted traxxas about the problem and they said the esc isn't meant for lipo, so they couldn't really help), but I know there are some guys using lipo. I am running one battery based on the wiring in this diagram:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....6&postcount=71

I ran it outside in high gear for awhile and everything went fine. But everytime I put it into low gear, lock the diffs, and try to climb something it shuts down. It even gets to the point that if I just turn the wheels all the way in one direction it shuts it down. The first thing that happens is the lights turn off, the all the servos cinch up. If I hit the esc button once all the servos re-center, then hit it again and everything starts up fine.

I drove it in high gear for 10 minutes with no problem and the esc wasn't even warm to the touch. But I could have it sitting there in the house just moving the wheels back and forth in low gear with the diffs locked and the esc gets pretty warm and it does the shut down thing. Any ideas? I 'm lost on this one. I took a video of it,

http://vimeo.com/user1098632/videos

I guess I could get an esc that is meant for lipo (mamba monster?) but I don't want to have to spend $200.00 more just to be able to run it. All I have are lipos and I thought it would be fine to use them on this. Any help would be great.

RC Champion
    Try and run it on nimh batteries and see if you get the same problem.

I cant imagine that two 2S lipo packs would cause any issues. You are not giving it too much voltage to cause it to shut down. The esc is supposed to handle 16.2V. Besides voltage is voltage, yeah you can pull more current from a lipo but that still shouldnt cause thermal shutdown.

Try and run it on regular batts and see if you ahve the same problem, then call them back and dont tell them you were using lipo because its irrelevant if you are getting the same thing on nimh.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Racer
    you said you are running it on a single battery, is that right?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by xman111
    you said you are running it on a single battery, is that right?
    I assumed he wasnt, I dont know where you would fit a 4S lipo.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, one battery, wired like the diagram on the link. The 4s fits perfect in the battery tray with the clips on the inside removed. I had planned on trying some nimh packs tonight to see if it still does it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The ESC is not ment to be ran on 4s lipo on the BEC side.. 4s is possible if 2s 2s on each side.. I bet if you ran 2s on each side or nimh packs like it was ment for your problem would go away.

RC Qualifier
    Does it matter which esc plug you plug the battery in to?

RC Enthusiast
    It does matter, if it's the wrong one it doesn't work at all.

I don't have any nimh, but I will take it to the hobby shop and try it there, if that fixes the problem I will try taking apart one of my 4s packs and make 2 2s packs to see if that works better (like bandit said). Anyone have a good link to a good lipo wiring diagram? I used to make my own packs a lot with nimh but haven't done it with lipo yet. (most confused about where to put the balance wire)

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like the BEC is getting starved.

RC Champion
    ya, i would try a NiMh pack
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Champion
    You got me man, Ive never ran only 1 pack. Try to run two lipos or two nimh and see if it still does it.

I think you may have a bad servo, that is exactly how mine acted right out of the box. Within a minute of turning on the esc the lights would flicker then go out completely along with the light on the esc, all servos would twitch. I tracked it down to a shorted left steering servo, it gets warm right away and with it unplugged from the receiver the problem is gone. I have a new servo coming tomorrow so hopefully I can drive this thing.....

New servo arrived today and just got it installed, so far problem is gone. Servos both stay cool and no lights or esc problems, more run time tomorrow...

RC Racer
    Standing by for solution.

Running Lipos in the Summit wouldn't void the warranty or anything would it?

I ask because of what the Traxxas rep said in the above post.

RC Racer
    There was another thread on voiding the warranty around here somewhere but i'm not sure where it went.

I don't think it would void the warranty because it's just a battery, but idk. I don't have my Summit yet.
    Nitro Sport .15
    Villain EX
    E-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Well, got two 8.4v nimh packs in there and haven't seen the issue again. So I think that one 4s lipo on it was messing with it somehow? I don't know about 2 2s on it, but I think that might make a difference (lots of guys are doing it?).

Don't know anything about if it voids warranty or not.

RC Qualifier
    I wouldnt think it would void the warranty power is power right nimh puts out volts just like lipos.
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Competitor
    I'm running 2 x 4S Hyperion 3700 mAh 25C lipos in parallel through EVX2 in my e-revo with no problems, it also ran fine using a single 4S, just for a shorter time .Were you using a 4S LVC when you were having the problem running your single battery and could that be cutting in?
    I did notice that when using a single 4S the Low voltage Warning lamp , I don't use a LVC, would flash very briefly under heavy load (full throttle launch ) even when fully charged. No flashing when using 2 batteries in parallel.
    It might be worth trying 2 lipos in parallel if you have 2 the same.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dreher
    Well, got two 8.4v nimh packs in there and haven't seen the issue again. So I think that one 4s lipo on it was messing with it somehow? I don't know about 2 2s on it, but I think that might make a difference (lots of guys are doing it?).
    Until my diff broke I had no problems running 2 2s lipos.

Don't know anything about if it voids warranty or not.
    The only thing I saw in the manual about actions that would void the warranty were removing the battery connectors from the ESC or using connectors that don't have reverse polarity prevention (in my mind the first cancels out the second, but anyway...).

One other thought - Are you using an LVC like the Smart Stop? If so, you did "program" it? Also, have you tried running without the LVC in the mix?

RC Racer
    Could the 4s pack be overloading the BEC and shutting it down? Just sitting still and moving the steering servos and holding it turned draws a bit of current through it. You might not have noticed the issue when moving because of increased airflow over the ESC.

RC Racer
    Does it make a difference which battery you connect to which connector? And whats a BEC?
    Nitro Sport .15
    Villain EX
    E-Maxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RonixBoarder5
    Does it make a difference which battery you connect to which connector? And whats a BEC?
    If your running 2 batteries, no. If your trying to run one battery, then yes. You have to have power to the side with the BEC and jump the other.

BEC stands for Battery Eliminating Circuitry. It allows you to power your servos and receiver without an extra battery pack via the ESC. It just uses the battery pack and routes some of that power to the receiver.