Thread: New Rc Owner

RC poster

New Rc Owner

I want to thank everyone who posted on their Summit Vehicle.GOOD AND BAD. I am a 39 year old kid. I have never owned an RC vehicle. Just Radio shack stuff. I started researching different brands of RC Trucks and the selling point for me on the Traxxas line was the fact that some of their vehicles are waterproof.I couldn't decide which electric truck I wanted. I knew I wanted a 4 wheel Drive Monster Truck , So that narrowed it down to the E-REVO, E-MAXX, or the SUMMIT. I watched plenty Video's on You Tube and this site, Called a rep. at Traxxas, I went to some LHS and local race tracks and asked alot of questions. And read just about every post on these Threads. Talke dto some guys at work about it. But every queation I had seemed to be answered here. Walked into a HS while I was on a little get away with my wife(just to look). They had every model on the floor except for the Summit. I asked the guy working there if he had a summit. He just got one in. It was red.HAPPY VALENTINES DAY. SOLD. He set me up with some batteries and chargers and I was out the door.I had a 2 hour drive home and I was very anxious. I haven't gone a day yet that I haven't driven it. MAN THIS STUFF IS FUN! I drive it through mud ,water ,Climb logs, do donuts in the leave piles. Wheelies in the short grass, Blast down the road. Jump stuff. Drive it at night. And I thought the lights were just a sales gimick. Man is that cool. The kids like to watch it go through everything and climb the sofa cushions in the house. I will try to post some pics.Thanks again for all the advice! I think I made the right choice. Now I just need to wait for the 1/16 E-REVO to come out. One of these isn't going to be enough.

RC Champion
    welcome to the hobby!! first thing in rc you should know if you didnt already relaize, its EXPENSIVE LOL. all in all it pays off in the end tho with some real fun. hope you enjoy your summit and if you have ANY questions, just post here.. most of us will respond within few mins being theres so many knologable people here. happy summiting and welcome
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC poster
    Thanks. Yes but its all relative .I owned and raced a car in an NHRA class Super Street, VERY EXPENSIVE. I do have one question about Batteries.
    I have a dynamite prophet sport charger .One for each of my batteries. I think one of the chargers is defective. It seems like it peaks out too soon. It doesn't generate any heat to the battery either. The other battery is warm right when it is finished charging. The batteries are 5000 Mah Venoms.

Welcome to your newest obsession!!! It is a lot of fun. I don't think you are ever too old for RC, I'm 37 and I am making up for my disadvantaged youth.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCROOKIE
    Thanks. Yes but its all relative .I owned and raced a car in an NHRA class Super Street, VERY EXPENSIVE. I do have one question about Batteries.
    I have a dynamite prophet sport charger .One for each of my batteries. I think one of the chargers is defective. It seems like it peaks out too soon. It doesn't generate any heat to the battery either. The other battery is warm right when it is finished charging. The batteries are 5000 Mah Venoms.

I had the same problem. Make sure the traxxas adapters your using are secured and sung. I unplugged mine replugged them in and problem solved. I am also using the same batteries. Welcome to the hobby, and ENJOY!
    Its a SUMMIT its supposed to be MUDDY!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by apexmedic
    I had the same problem. Make sure the traxxas adapters your using are secured and sung. I unplugged mine replugged them in and problem solved. I am also using the same batteries. Welcome to the hobby, and ENJOY!

A friend of mine warned me of the molex connectors. He said cut them off and soilder the TRX plug straight to the charger wires. I am going to try what you said first .Thanks.What kind of run time are you getting from your batteries.
    1st time out I got at least 30 to 40 Minutes.Its been downhill from there.

RC poster
    Hey RC Rookie, Im in the same boat as you going to be 39 next month and still a kid at heart. The only difference is now I got some money! Didnt have jack in the younger days! Got me a Summit beginning of February even before the Hobbie Stores out here got um, blew their minds when I walked in there for some batteries. Play with it every day and night and lovin it! Drowned it in my friends pool yesterday and it still runs underwater amazing! You made the right choice with the Summit !

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCROOKIE
    What kind of run time are you getting from your batteries.
    1st time out I got at least 30 to 40 Minutes.Its been downhill from there.
    Im getting 40-45 minutes, depending on my driving habits. I also use 6cell batts when the 7 cells go bad, and Ill get 30 minutes 35 tops out of them. They are 4500maH
    Its a SUMMIT its supposed to be MUDDY!!

RC Racer
    welcome to the hobby.. and watch the t-lock. this hobby is probably the only thing keeping me sane anymore. (save for when something big breaks). no matter how angry i get, if i drive one of my rc's.. my mood tends to change.

happy summiting... i like that. lol

RC Champion
    welcome to the hobby its gotta be the best one out there.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Champion
    There's a reason it's called "the hobby"
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by StamJato
    There's a reason it's called "the hobby"
    haha thats so true .. guys know how long two 5000mah 6cells would last?
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by apexmedic
    Im getting 40-45 minutes, depending on my driving habits. I also use 6cell batts when the 7 cells go bad, and Ill get 30 minutes 35 tops out of them. They are 4500maH
    I cut the molex connectors off today and soilered some Traxxas connectors on my battery chargers, charged em up and ran it, problem solved . Ran about 35 to 40 minutes . Alot of wide open throttle blast. I wanted to see if what I did helped. Those Molex connectors dont look like they can handle too many amps with out heating up.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SLASHPEDE
    haha thats so true .. guys know how long two 5000mah 6cells would last?
    My Batteries are 7 cell. 8.4 Volts.5000 mah. I'm not sure how long they will last? You mean minutes per run or how many cycles?